Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Lynx Project Unveiled - a series of incredible dioramas and model cars/trucks that is unprecented in our hobby...

This is a project that developed over a 3 1/2 decade period. It depicts an entirely fictional scenario wherein a Lincoln-Mercury division sports car project was developed and then scuttled during the mid 1960's. The project results were unveiled at the 2023 Greater Salt Lake Model Car ChampionshiP (GSLMCC) on May 5th, 2023.

The story is told in a series of eleven 1/25th scale dioramas and model cars/trucks, developed by some of the hobby's best model builders under the direction of Mark Gustavson. (The entire and extensive list of contributors is shown in the last few images of this folder).

Just before each diorama is a cover page depicting the timeline and the story covered by the diorama as well as the builders of the diorama and cars in that scene.

I've shown many images of each of the individual dioramas as there is so much to be seen and taken in.

While the story told here is created in the minds of those who participated vs. being actually factual in nature, a project of this scope and magnitude is unprecedented in our hobby. It represents an achievement for the ages and it deserves a very big tip of the hat from us to all involved!

You can see the entire album of images at this link.  Below is just one of the dioramas, depicting a 1/25th (!) DC-8 jet freightliner with a scratchbuilt replica of the 1/1 scale Bertone Mustang showcar.   Best...TB 

DSC 0350

DSC 0282 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

That was a fantasticread and scroll. Well done to all the contributors and I look forward to reading the book when its available. What really sold the story to me is ford uk sold a car that has a lot of the styling cues from these models called the consul capri (not to be confused with just capri) so it just made it all that much more believable

• Like 3

Tim - Thanks for the write-up.

It was indeed wonderful to see it come to fruition and have it be met with such a enthusiastic reception. The real achievement to me is bringing such a group together to create such cohesive, quality work that is much greater than what anyone could have done individually. It certainly got me to push my abilities beyond where I had gone before. I'm honored and proud to have been a part of it.

I added some photos to the GSL Fotki site here: https://public.fotki.com/GSL-Model-Car-Championship/gsl-xxviii-the-finale/the-lynx-project/

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:15 PM, RancheroSteve said:

The real achievement to me is bringing such a group together to create such cohesive, quality work that is much greater than what anyone could have done individually.

Well said!   TB

• Like 2