Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Ford GT40 Roadster

Besides Mini Exotics others have done this body style including a Monogram Slot Car, Reliable Resins, DDP, and ???. 

The original Monogram was molded wider than the 1:1 to accommodate the slot chassis and some of the others did not change the width when they repoped it, including this one.

Here is a comparison of the transkit with a Monogram body narrowed to the correct width. 

20230817_111949.jpg.0d37ba08111afc809b400a773fd57b14.jpg

Jorgen Stendahl did an excellent WIP many years ago, but I cannot find a link to it now.

Ford_GT40_GT111_1_TargaFlorio.jpg.c9a679bfb16b64096f97f52ed5be6e69.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

1965 Targa Florio Ford Roadster

This is a Ford Roadster build using a Mini Exotics 1/24 scale transkit on a Fujimi chassis.

20230817_073913.jpg.183f77e42c329049f8a848c313c6c899.jpg

20230817_073758.jpg.ae7730a7a4ec3cada601356cf9cea8c0.jpg

20230817_074050.jpg.2637e6d26cd9b27d1e4551ea47f544b9.jpg

The color is Tamiya Pearl Green TS-60.

Nice project.

7 hours ago, absmiami said:

rare   rare   rare    ...

I once visited Mr. Mini Exotics  -  I think it was in Vancouver ...

I will be visiting Mr. Mini Exotic tomorrow and will mention this build to him.

Gary..a long time ago...I built this Fujimi kit.  At the time I was uncertain of the color so I asked for advice on  "that other modeling site"   I was told it was Linden Green but no one had a source for the color. So i used my judgement based on what pictures were available at the time.  What I came up with  was a light gray yellow green and as you can see it comes nowhere close to the sample of  Tamiya TS-60 which is a light blue gray green.  I happen to like the color of mine and still have the formula of what I mixed. Unfortunately it is buried right now as I am expecting a move shortly.  I also have the Mini-exotics trans kit and a donor.  I am in a quandry as to which way I should go on my trans kit.   Your opine is welcome.DSC08151.JPG.2a08f1a22d8a75f04e1f6297aa2f8361.JPG

To my eye this looks closer to the Jorgen Stendahl trans kit pictured above. ..???

Rich,

Years ago when I built the coupe shown below I had to mix my own paint color.  I knew it was Linden Green which is an English Ford standard color in the '60s.  This time I went looking for some Linden Green but did not find any, even tried Detroit Diesel engine green and a FIAT shade but those did not work.  But then discovered I had some RS60 sitting on the shelf and that seemed to me to be pretty reasonable match with a gray primer base.

I don't envy you on your move.  Best wishes on that endeavor with your stash and shop.  

20230819_162353.jpg.78ffee250319275a2edc907acd8b85f3.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Rich,

Years ago when I built the coupe shown below I had to mix my own paint color.  I knew it was Linden Green which is an English Ford standard color in the '60s.  This time I went looking for some Linden Green but did not find any, even tried Detroit Diesel engine green and a FIAT shade but those did not work.  But then discovered I had some RS60 sitting on the shelf and that seemed to me to be pretty reasonable match with a gray primer base.

I don't envy you on your move.  Best wishes on that endeavor with your stash and shop.  

20230819_162353.jpg.78ffee250319275a2edc907acd8b85f3.jpg

Gary thanks for the post and picture.  Think I will go with the TS 60 and just call them different cars. I like the green on the # 14.  Moving the stash is the easy part  since they are in bins with wheels.  Its the 3 workbenches, lathe, paint booth, 2 racetracks, 3000 slot cars (HO) and accumulated tools.  The 11 display cases will be a logistical nightmare since they are loaded down  with lots of delicate models.  I think I have it all figured out but it is still worrisome. Fer sure there will be some casualties. 

On 8/19/2023 at 4:57 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Gary thanks for the post and picture.  Think I will go with the TS 60 and just call them different cars. I like the green on the # 14.  Moving the stash is the easy part  since they are in bins with wheels.  Its the 3 workbenches, lathe, paint booth, 2 racetracks, 3000 slot cars (HO) and accumulated tools.  The 11 display cases will be a logistical nightmare since they are loaded down  with lots of delicate models.  I think I have it all figured out but it is still worrisome. Fer sure there will be some casualties. 

I recently moved but it was within town and “only” have three display cases for models but another four for hotwheels cars so packing and moving them was no fun.  We moved two years ago and I packed all my built models and put them in my car and they  survived the 1,000 trip for the most part.  I packed all the larger diecasts as best I could but they have been in storage for two years.  I get to do this all over again when we move (permanently I hope) to a house in Scottsdale AZ.  You would think I would stop buying kits but it is an obsession as we know.  I did set aside my box of 1/43 unbuilt kits so given the limited space I have know I will try to get some of those kits finished in the next year.  Trying to match the Linden Green color is probably why I never tried to build the Targa Florio version.  Good luck on your move.

IMG_9335.jpeg

IMG_9327.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

Looking good Gary,  it's a shame that when I built my slot car body Spyder #15 (Monogram) years ago I didn't bother checking the width!!

Now I'll forever know it's too wide.

Dave B

PS I was lazy back then and didn't replace the head light covers either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

After getting stalled for months because the body did not look right on the chassis I went back and reread Jorgen Stendahl's article and he replaced the resin sills as cast with the Fujimi kit sills and it worked.  

image.jpeg.83e4d53fbf6b926c4b3bb5a0b2d678ab.jpeg

So, the spyder is back on the bench again after yet another paint job. 

20240318_191851.jpg.82ada626b888169d658f811ff388796c.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't have a Monogram body to compare other than the one I modified but Jorgen said he removed 4mm for his build.  I built mine prior to 1996 before Jorgen published his article but if I had seen it first, I would have used his approach and mated the front half and sills of the Fujimi MK1 with the narrowed rear resin deck.

The Jorgen Stendahl build was posted on the GPMA web site but I can't find it now. 

Edited by Gramps46

Gary...what did you use for the paint this time. Looks much better. Closer to the pic Rex posted from the LeMans museum.  I found my original formula for my paint job. I matched the box art. (not accurate but I liked it)   Still up in the air on mine.  As for my original post from Aug 19,2023, the move is now all complete and am fully installed in my new digs. Workbenches and model cases are all up to speed (except for the paint room and booth).   What a job... took more than a month to unpack and repair all the models. Glued lots of mirrors and wheels back on.  Never again.....glad its done.  Will be back to modeling  shortly. New place is so much cleaner and now better organized.  Post pics soon.

• Like 2

Link below to a post in 2020 in a case some of you missed it.  I still have not gotten very far with the DDP kit as I was not happy with the simplistic chassis and was planning to use a Fujumi kit as the base.