Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other model car forums

25 minutes ago, peteski said:

Funny that this discussion was about other model-related forums, but it turned into free-speech gripe session.  If one wants to discuss politics or religion, t here are places for that out there (liek FB or other non-modeling forums).  To me modeling-themed forum is for modeling. Sure, many modeling forums have OT section, but many of the members don't even look at it,  and the ones who participate usually post silly or entertaining things there (or obits).

I can't disagree with that.

My intention was never to go down this rabbit hole, but it appears to be one of the prevailing screeds against Facebook.

I was only trying to iterate my opinion that Facebook " modeling groups" are a perfectly acceptable alternative, or companion to, other modeling forums, as the OP was curious about.

Steve

29 minutes ago, peteski said:

I was thinking more about BlackSheep214 and is desire to discuss his political views which would get him banned here.  On model car forums?  Really? Why?  Want to discuss politics? I'm sure there are plenty of those around in the current political climate.

Exactly this.  I get it, there's an election coming up, and some people have to push the product, and they have quotas to fill, but surely it's all right to leave a few small corners of the internet where we can take a break from it?

Edited by Richard Bartrop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Exactly this.  I get it, there's an election coming up, and some people have to push the product, and they have quotas to fill, but surely it's all right to leave a few small corners of the internet where we can take a break from it?

Correct. And that's exactly why politics and religion are banned here. There are enough places people can go and discuss that. We don't need that sort of division and arguing here.

You want to argue and get divisive? We have our own controversies...

Curbsides are just as good as full detail kits. 

🤪

Anyway, back to discussing other forums.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 9/5/2023 at 7:52 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Correct. And that's exactly why politics and religion are banned here. There are enough places people can go and discuss that. We don't need that sort of division and arguing here.

🤪

We can no longer be friends now.

Seriously, TCM used to have a spot in its forum for people to rage about politics and such with the idea that people would get it out of their system and not bother the rest of the board.  It turned into a roaring bonfire of hate and stupid, and eventually TCM got rid of the whole forum.

Edited by Richard Bartrop
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

🤪

Now that's funny. Sorry guys for the Facebook diatribe. I know the good stuff about it 

• Like 1

There’s a few around but I’ve found this site to be the most active and has the most engagement to stuff you post 

https://forums.kitmaker.net/c/autos/8

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/index.php

https://intscalemodeller.com/viewforum.php?f=46

I also had instagram but this year in particular my posts have gotten zero views or interactions so I deleted my account there.  That was probably the best place to post hobbies too, a shame facebook went and ruined it

2 hours ago, JET. said:

There’s a few around but I’ve found this site to be the most active and has the most engagement to stuff you post 

https://forums.kitmaker.net/c/autos/8

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/index.php

https://intscalemodeller.com/viewforum.php?f=46

I also had instagram but this year in particular my posts have gotten zero views or interactions so I deleted my account there.  That was probably the best place to post hobbies too, a shame facebook went and ruined it

I'm giving the "Kitmaker" forum a go.

What's one more? :P

Steve

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

I started a separate instagram for my builds.  At first I was surprised at how many other builders are on there.  I enjoy seeing what others are working on, as well as getting feedback on my stuff.

Same.

I have my main IG page, but then started one specifically for models. Some very cool stuff out there.

• Like 2

Ah, Facebook. It started out as a way to stay in touch with friends and family, and often seems more like Tom Lehrer's "My Home Town." Occasional family drama aside, it's generally been good for me.  

I'm in a few FB model car groups, along with astronomy and SCUBA diving. They vary in usefulness. The SCUBA groups are good, especially for timely info. The model car ones are variable. I'd be curious to know which ones people are finding useful. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Ah, Facebook. It started out as a way to stay in touch with friends and family, and often seems more like Tom Lehrer's "My Home Town." Occasional family drama aside, it's generally been good for me.  

I'm in a few FB model car groups, along with astronomy and SCUBA diving. They vary in usefulness. The SCUBA groups are good, especially for timely info. The model car ones are variable. I'd be curious to know which ones people are finding useful. 

They’re all a lot alike.

Some just have more members than others making them more heavily traveled, which I suppose should translate into more information.

I belong to a bunch of Facebook groups, some of which have very heavy traffic and a few that have very little.

I feel like I should abandon some of the stale groups, but I feel guilty.

Sometimes I fell as if I’m single handedly keeping them afloat! 😄

Steve

• Like 1

overall this discussion has been quite interesting.

I did find an interesting forum noted in a recent posting:  https://newkoolestkruzers.forumactif.org/

In French BUT if you are using Google Chrome you just need to "right click" and select translate into English. Very handy and it makes forums in other than English easily followed.

cheers, Graham

On 9/5/2023 at 11:22 PM, CabDriver said:

Curbsides are great as part of a balanced diet.  Ditto snap kits.  They’re like M&Ms and sirloin steaks…both good, in their own right 🤷‍♂️

Ah yes, two of the major food groups...candy and meat. I've forgotten the other one. Wait, wait, it's on the tip of my tongue...I have it...alcohol.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 9:14 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Same.

I have my main IG page, but then started one specifically for models. Some very cool stuff out there.

I looked at my profile page and there’s a place to list our Facebook, but not IG.  Could we put our IG handles here or should I start a new thread?

i know I follow a few members here on IG but it would be good to find others on there.  

I’m a member of about 20 Facebook model groups, as well as 8-10 forums(maybe more that I’ve joined and forgotten) I mainly stay in this site and the FB groups mainly because of the ease of posting pictures honestly. I’m a member of several forums and would be more than happy to participate more but, they aren’t iPhone friendly and I can’t post pics without an image hosting account, possibly a laptop and that’s just irritating to me. 

I found that having to use photo hosting  websites in order to download pics onto other forums a real pain in the rear. At least I can upload pictures directly to this site.

Also, I guess that most of us know about certain hosting sites that shall be nameless who have ruined many forums by either locking contributors pictures or spoiling them by placing a company watermark right across them.

• Like 1