Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of the MPC Fox Body Mustang

Fabrux

Thanks much for sharing your composition. One of my all time favourite kits ! 

The one-continuous-piece shear panels-interior door cards-rear panels has its origins in the MPC Pinto and Mustang II annual kits. Interesting that this was employed on the then-new Fox Body platform kits.

Funny thing about the "5.0 " badging from that era : some (all ?) were actually the 255 cube Windsor , but were referred - however erroneously - to as five litre. An artifact of the energy crisis era coupled with 'artistic licence' . The true 302 cubes / 5 litres engine returned en masse for 1982 or 1983 (someone with more knowledge on these cars will correct any of my unintentional errors).

FWIW, I'd like to see Round2 perform some upgrades to the 1987/1988 annual tooling :
1.) Revised head lamps and bezels ( plated buckets with clear lenses )
2.) Proper tyres (Good Year Gatorbacks - sans lettering)
3.) Revised tail lamps and lenses (clear lenses, so that the turn signal/hazard portion can be painted the correct amber)

• Like 1

Interesting that the MPC kit was magically transformed into an AMT kit.  😆  Of course Monogram Fox Mustangs were issued/revised under R/M and Revell branding so no surprise.  I sure wish there were more Saleen versions and kits of the 2003/2004 Cobras and Mach1s.

IMG_2926.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Interesting that the MPC kit was magically transformed into an AMT kit.  😆  Of course Monogram Fox Mustangs were issued/revised under R/M and Revell branding so no surprise.  I sure wish there were more Saleen versions and kits of the 2003/2004 Cobras and Mach1s.

IMG_2926.jpeg

An all new series of kits spanning the whole fox gen ,i cluding Saleen's would be neat.

• Like 1

I have the  "Wild Breed" boxing, and the badges on the body side say "SS"  which is kind of weird.  I agree with 1972Coronet, with some new parts this can be a much better kit. 

I would also sugggest the following if possible:

remove the carpet like texture on the bottom of the chassis and the engine block.  Then with decals for the instrument panel it would be a very serviceable kit.

Edited by kurth
  • Like 1

Nice work Chris. It's too bad they couldn't fit in a version of the '85/'86 but I guess the timing of the SVO nixed that effort. Would also have been nice to see the GT dual snorkel air cleaner but at least you can source the '82 version from the monogram '83 or monkees '87 mustang.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Funny thing about the "5.0 " badging from that era : some (all ?) were actually the 255 cube Windsor , but were referred - however erroneously - to as five litre. An artifact of the energy crisis era coupled with 'artistic licence' . The true 302 cubes / 5 litres engine returned en masse for 1982 or 1983 (someone with more knowledge on these cars will correct any of my unintentional errors).

The 1979 Mustang still had the 5 Litre (302 c.i.) engine, while the 255 (4.2 L) was introduced for the 1980 model year. Luckily for modellers, the 221/255/260/289/302 Windsor engines all have the same external dimensions.

Agree with you on the revisions needed for the 87-88 Mustang kits.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, 1972coronet said:

Funny thing about the "5.0 " badging from that era : some (all ?) were actually the 255 cube Windsor , but were referred - however erroneously - to as five litre.

The 255 was only available in 1980 and 81. They never referred to it as a 5.0. The 5.0 (as a designation) came out in 1982.

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1

Just to reiterate/reinforce a couple of posts above, for 1979, the first year of the fox body mustang, the V8 engine was the 5.0:/302, paired with either a 3-speed auto or a 4-speed manual overdrive. 

As a then-new Ford employee, I ordered one for myself around August 1978 and took delivery in October, 1978.  Like Keith's above, mine was a Ghia Coupe (not hatchback) but with a 4-speed manual OD, in Medium Red Glow with a Red Velour inerior, lift-up roof glass, and the MIchelin/TRX wheel/tire package....

(Scroll down to see 2 pix of it..)

Boyd 79 Mustang Ghia 5 0 2

I also briefly drove a 1979 Indy Pace Car 5.0 auto as a company car, and an '81 Cobra hatchback as a company car, it was the 255 V8 with the Recaro seats.  Compared to my own 1979 Chia and that Indy Pace Car, the 255 was a DOG.  Two years later I had a company car '83 GT with the 4bbl. 5.0...notably faster than my own 1979 and worlds ahead of that '81 255.  Later again, a lease car 1986 LX Convertible SEFI 5.0L 5-speed manual...faster still.  Was so exciting to see Ford return to performance cars in the 1980s////TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Very good looking car, but I'm guessing about 150hp...maybe...out of that 5.0L?

The malaise era. Awesome, yet awful.

Wow Tim  those pictures bring back some memories.  Though an avid Mopar fan I love the Fox body cars.  I was working for a couple of  Chrysler stores in the 70's and 80's and we would have those flip up sunroofs installed for customers. Lol!   I think they were options on the Dodge 024 and Plymouth TC3.  

• Like 1

I had a few myself.  I was the second owner of a 79 pace car V8 with a 4 speed (140hp. They also came with the lousy 2.3L 4 banger turbo).  I had an 82 GT with the H.O. engine (Maybe 200hp).  I still love that white Saleen (1989/90?)  Stock versions were a whopping 225HP.   I also always liked the front end of the 85/86 with the ten hole wheels. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I know they are different scales, but has anyone tried using the headlight buckets/lenses from the Revell/Monogram kits on the AMT '88 GT kit?

Yes, the AMT headlights are taller than the Revell parts. The AMT front fascia also leans back at a steeper angle than the Revell nose. So the lights don't fit without swapping the entire front end. Really, you need to save the AMT lower bumper air dam to keep it a GT so there's some creative cutting needed to make it work.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:48 AM, tim boyd said:

Just to reiterate/reinforce a couple of posts above, for 1979, the first year of the fox body mustang, the V8 engine was the 5.0:/302, paired with either a 3-speed auto or a 4-speed manual overdrive. 

As a then-new Ford employee, I ordered one for myself around August 1978 and took delivery in October, 1978.  Like Keith's above, mine was a Ghia Coupe (not hatchback) but with a 4-speed manual OD, in Medium Red Glow with a Red Velour inerior, lift-up roof glass, and the MIchelin/TRX wheel/tire package....

(Scroll down to see 2 pix of it..)

Boyd 79 Mustang Ghia 5 0 2

I also briefly drove a 1979 Indy Pace Car 5.0 auto as a company car, and an '81 Cobra hatchback as a company car, it was the 255 V8 with the Recaro seats.  Compared to my own 1979 Chia and that Indy Pace Car, the 255 was a DOG.  Two years later I had a company car '83 GT with the 4bbl. 5.0...notably faster than my own 1979 and worlds ahead of that '81 255.  Later again, a lease car 1986 LX Convertible SEFI 5.0L 5-speed manual...faster still.  Was so exciting to see Ford return to performance cars in the 1980s////TB 

I think this is the first time I've seen a notchback with the TRX package. Prett cool looking ride. I was never huge fan of Fox body Mustangs but my 7 year old, Max loves them. They're his faves. He loves 80s everything. I was actually going to buy a new Mustang in early 81, until I saw you could only get the 255 for a V8. I decided to stick with my 64 Fairlane. I should have been more clear in my first post. A friend of mine had a 79 Mustang with the 302 in it (and the TRX package in Medium Vaquero Glow (kind of a coppery metallic). I just don't remember if they referred to it as a 5.0 at the time. Hence my statement of the 5.0 coming out in 1982. But yes, 80-81 topped out at 255. 

Edited by Dave Darby

• 2 weeks later...

As the owner of a 1987 GT Hatchback the MPC/AMT kit is an EPIC disappointment. The whole thing is basically inaccurate and even aside from that, just poorly done.

In contemplating how to create a more accurate aero-nose hatchback (and not necessarily a GT) I realized the best approach was to take the roof from the hatchback and graft it onto the Revell 90 LX body shell. The 90 LX, while an excellent kit, has a mis-proportioned roof so you’re doing it a favor. Keep in mind I have only made the rough cuts so far and the fit needs to be fine-tuned but they will mate up seamlessly when done. I haven’t approached the interior yet but this gets you the excellent Revell 90 chassis, engine and the front, more visible part of the interior. 

IMG_1217.thumb.jpeg.678a22860e382162cfd99610bf8ac8d4.jpeg

IMG_1221.thumb.jpeg.cdaba5208512d420c37b8e88d93d43ee.jpeg

IMG_1218.thumb.jpeg.fc55859c837ad599bdc55e2a761955b9.jpeg

IMG_1219.thumb.jpeg.96f02d3495b593afcfe22eb9dbdcdf19.jpeg

Note: If one desired to use the upper half of the Revell 90 front bumper to upgrade the vomit inducing 🤮 87/88 GT MPC headlights be aware that the 90 bumper is about an 1/8” wider so it will require some additional planning. 

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

As the owner of a 1987 GT Hatchback the MPC/AMT kit is an EPIC disappointment. The whole thing is basically inaccurate and even aside from that, just poorly done.

In contemplating how to create a more accurate aero-nose hatchback (and not necessarily a GT) I realized the best approach was to take the roof from the hatchback and graft it onto the Revell 90 LX body shell. The 90 LX, while an excellent kit, has a mis-proportioned roof so you’re doing it a favor. Keep in mind I have only made the rough cuts so far and the fit needs to be fine-tuned but they will mate up seamlessly when done. I haven’t approached the interior yet but this gets you the excellent Revell 90 chassis, engine and the front, more visible part of the interior. 

IMG_1217.thumb.jpeg.678a22860e382162cfd99610bf8ac8d4.jpeg

IMG_1221.thumb.jpeg.cdaba5208512d420c37b8e88d93d43ee.jpeg

IMG_1218.thumb.jpeg.fc55859c837ad599bdc55e2a761955b9.jpeg

IMG_1219.thumb.jpeg.96f02d3495b593afcfe22eb9dbdcdf19.jpeg

Note: If one desired to use the upper half of the Revell 90 front bumper to upgrade the vomit inducing 🤮 87/88 GT MPC headlights be aware that the 90 bumper is about an 1/8” wider so it will require some additional planning. 

Dennis.....very, very clever.  Surprised that they fit toether so well.  Looks like another D>L> project I will need to keep my eyes on!   Cheers....TB

• Like 1