Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1959 Cadillac Ambulance First Look

martinfan5

Hopefully, they've removed to two vertical grid lines running on the side and rear windows from the original Ghostbusters release.  The stock wheel covers and white wall tires look good.  A couple of A-pillar spotlights would have been nice as well considering they tooled up a stock ambulance interior with cabinets and stretcher.

A.J.

Looks good from what I can see.  Interesting that the roof pods/lights are different than the "Surf Shark" version.

Very interested if they've gotten rid of the diamond plate step rear bumper from the previous versions.  Looking at all the other work they did, I would expect they did.

3 hours ago, Force said:

Yes...this is a '59, not a '58.
I wonder wich one they based this kit on, the AMT kit or the Polar Lights kit...Round 2 owns both.

Looks like AMT.  Some of the add-on parts look like they are carried over from the recent Surf Shark version.

The AMT version started out as the Ecto 1A (second of the original films).  By altering it, Round 2 keeps the Polar Lights version intact.  Most offshoot products like video games use the first version vehicle, so keeping that one intact would seem to be the thing to do.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Looks like AMT.  Some of the add-on parts look like they are carried over from the recent Surf Shark version.

The AMT version started out as the Ecto 1A (second of the original films).  By altering it, Round 2 keeps the Polar Lights version intact.  Most offshoot products like video games use the first version vehicle, so keeping that one intact would seem to be the thing to do.

The AMT Ecto 1A has chromed steel wheels with baby moons and the Polar Light Ecto 1 version has the full original style wheel cover, both are simplified kits, that's why I wondered.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

I know it is a lot of plastic, but that is still pretty high for a Curb Side Plus type kit. I bought the surf one when it showed at Walmart for $24! 

The Surf Wagon MSRP was the same $45 price.  Which proves a point I've always said around here, the MSRP is meaningless, nobody is paying that price.  You paid about half the MSRP, and now it's at Ollie's for $9 soooo...

• Like 1

I find that very very disappointing !

That's so close to the surf and the Ghostbuster's Miller Meteor versions it's not attractive at all. Plus there's a serious body issue with the rear skirt, with also a weird and inaccurate horizontal dent, or curve, at the bottom of the rear fender. Seriously, the base was here for AMT to be a bit more creative with a Eureka or a Superior version. Bringing something a bit different and classy for once, with larger white walls than these, and a real body refresh. Looks like it won't happen...

383979349_10162570436208943_9107886115955170386_n.jpg.3cab4c4dc3de3de1edf54f460d3d381a.jpg

I bought of the Polar Lights kits over 10 years ago and paid $12 for it at a Longs Drug store and thought it was overpriced but I really wanted it, it came with wire wheel looking wheels and mid size whitewalls it's been waiting for me to get the mood for a fancy cruiser aka the Tony Stewart one.

1 hour ago, Jeffcad said:

That's so close to the surf and the Ghostbuster's Miller Meteor versions it's not attractive at all. Plus there's a serious body issue with the rear skirt, with also a weird and inaccurate horizontal dent, or curve, at the bottom of the rear fender. Seriously, the base was here for AMT to be a bit more creative with a Eureka or a Superior version. Bringing something a bit different and classy for once, with larger white walls than these, and a real body refresh. Looks like it won't happen...

383979349_10162570436208943_9107886115955170386_n.jpg.3cab4c4dc3de3de1edf54f460d3d381a.jpg

It looks like this test shot built was damaged during shipping, so better wait till Steve G. shows a copy here, or on one of the upcoming hobby venue's.

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The Surf Wagon MSRP was the same $45 price.  Which proves a point I've always said around here, the MSRP is meaningless, nobody is paying that price.  You paid about half the MSRP, and now it's at Ollie's for $9 soooo...

Yeah, sadly no Ollie's around here. Our LHS had them for $42 and I said no, then found them at Walmart for the lower price. They never made it to Hobby Lobby

To me neither the AMT or the PL kit looks "right", but then again, this 1:1 ambulance doesn't quite look right either.  The hearse pictured below appears to have softer contours on the rear quarters.  (It should be noted the ambulance has been "restored", and includes elements considered inauthentic to the car such as those silly horns.)

9.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

mm09.jpg

mm05.jpg

mm11.jpg

On 10/1/2023 at 10:42 PM, Jeffcad said:

This kit is a modified reissue of the Ectomobile.  If they have retooled the interior bucket, then yes it will be very attractive to us who want a stock ambulance/hearse.  The old interior bucket had too much Ecto-gear molded in it to make one considering just making a new one from scratch.

Superior-bodied versions have been offered in resin.

• martinfan5 changed the title to AMT 1959 Cadillac Ambulance First Look