Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Future of Revell...for 2024 at least.

niteowl7710

Like that they are reissuing the '68 Firebird. This is a great kit and nice detailing. I built one a year ago and would look forward to another now. The '57 Chevrolet Bel Air two-door and the Ford Wagon are both nice to see again. my only question is what new parts they are adding. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

Like that they are reissuing the '68 Firebird. This is a great kit and nice detailing. I built one a year ago and would look forward to another now. The '57 Chevrolet Bel Air two-door and the Ford Wagon are both nice to see again. my only question is what new parts they are adding. 

Looks like the Ford wagon has some optional modern style wheels and tires.  Don’t think the previous issues had those.  Also a custom mirrors and custom grille going by the box art pic.  

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

I had no idea. Thanks for that. Sounds like the "Captain Hook" square body wrecker, that's been reissued a few times.

It's this kit - Ford 6-Wheeler Pickup, Revell 6415 (1981) (scalemates.com)

It's a line of Fords that had a short bed, a flare side bed, and whatever that faux fantasy dually was supposed to be that were done in 1981.  I don't believe any of them have ever been reissued, the Ford F-150 Ranger Flare Side that exists in Revell box in the past decade is the Monogram kit which was tooled up in 1980 way back before they were merged together.

7 hours ago, espo said:

I was thinking about that last night before I went to sleep.  I guess it’s the kid in me..

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's this kit - Ford 6-Wheeler Pickup, Revell 6415 (1981) (scalemates.com)

It's a line of Fords that had a short bed, a flare side bed, and whatever that faux fantasy dually was supposed to be that were done in 1981.  I don't believe any of them have ever been reissued, the Ford F-150 Ranger Flare Side that exists in Revell box in the past decade is the Monogram kit which was tooled up in 1980 way back before they were merged together.

Yeah, I've seen that kit online many times, but never actually seen it in person. I combined the wrecker bed (from the blue box pic) reissue of the Revell "Captain Hook" kit, with the cab from the AMT "Super Stones" Ford, and won a 1st Place at the last show I attended. That wrecker is definitely a very basic snap-kit, but until that Moebius wrecker comes out, it's all there is.

It really does.

Kinda makes you wonder if GM licensing - some of the most antagonistic in the business for 3+ decades now - have finally gotten over their craniorectal inversion and shared some CAD with Revell. Maybe just a small bone to Revell on account of making them pay for Maisto's bumbling C7 convertible spoiler.

Revell allegedly had to go measure the 7 in a dealer lot, making their 2014-16 Corvette all the more impressive for that gratuitous hindrance in development.  Not sure how you get to double the parts count and all that extra detail without the 1:1 manufacturer deigning to relent a bit with some data, but if they managed it, my hat's WAY off.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
one bit of excess trimmed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Wonder if Revell will issue the Corvette C8 as the C8.R as that's the one that is racing now.

Doubt it, the C8.R is done, IMSA already made the switch and next year FIA/WEC adopts GT3 homologated cars as the replacement to GTE/GTE AM.  Going forward the C8 will become a GT3 platform and be sold into all Series as a Customer Racing race car much the same way the upcoming Mustang GT3 will be.  THAT would be the thing to kit because unless it's a complete dud as a GT3 car it will have much wider adoption Internationally in Customer Racing than it ever got as a pair of IMSA Vettes and a pair of FIA/WEC Vettes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Doubt it, the C8.R is done, IMSA already made the switch and next year FIA/WEC adopts GT3 homologated cars as the replacement to GTE/GTE AM.  Going forward the C8 will become a GT3 platform and be sold into all Series as a Customer Racing race car much the same way the upcoming Mustang GT3 will be.  THAT would be the thing to kit because unless it's a complete dud as a GT3 car it will have much wider adoption Internationally in Customer Racing than it ever got as a pair of IMSA Vettes and a pair of FIA/WEC Vettes.

I agree.

23 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

19 minutes ago, Len Woodruff said:

I agree.

That would be the way I would go with that for race versions

On 10/13/2023 at 8:01 PM, Toner283 said:

Hopefully that all new blazer is a hint of things to come. IMO, and all new, modern tooled, correct square body (long box!!) in 1/25th scale would be a big winner for Revell.

They would be able to create multiple versions four different releases of the truck like Moebius did with the Ford pickups. Long box, short box, two wheel drive, four wheel drive, GMC, Chevrolet, big block, small block, dually, work truck, crew cab, lifted four-wheel drive, slammed two-wheel drive. An endless combination of possibilities for future releases. With square body trucks being as popular as they are right now, and the only other options being the ancient 1/24th kits which are poorly detailed at best or resin - an all new square body pickup kit would most likely be a big winner.

. . .  And,  HELLO!   S U B U R B A N S - S U B U R B A N S - S U B U R B A N S - S U B U R B A N S - S U B U R B A N S -

S U B U R B A N S!!!!

Did I mention SUBURBANS??  

Edited by Danno
  • Like 3

While we're on the topic of expanding different versions of Model kits by Revell in the future. I'd like to add my thoughts on a future Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser wagon. I was inspecting the contents of the Recent Revell release and noticed the parts trees left room for what may be future added parts. Did anyone else notice this?

Edited by disconovaman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, disconovaman said:

While we're on the topic of expanding different versions of Model kits by Revell in the future. I'd like to add my thoughts on a future Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser wagon. I was inspecting the contents of the Recent Revell release and noticed the parts trees left room for what may be future added parts. Did anyone else notice this?

I have wondered why Revell does not tool up a first series jimmy based on the great Syclone kit , or the waverider or current S10 kit. They could have a Typhoon,  forestry Post office, police , firechief etc vehicles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, monza77 said:

I have wondered why Revell does not tool up a first series jimmy based on the great Syclone kit , or the waverider or current S10 kit. They could have a Typhoon,  forestry Post office, police , firechief etc vehicles.

Based on the last release of the S10 being mashup of parts I bet they can't find all of the tooling to any one specific version of the kit.