Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Future of Revell...for 2024 at least.

niteowl7710

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Based on the last release of the S10 being mashup of parts I bet they can't find all of the tooling to any one specific version of the kit.

They can re-pop the Cyclone, it's been reissued long after any of the S-10 versions. What they don't seem to have anymore is the regular S-10 drivetrain and suspension parts to make a RWD truck. So the recent mish-mash reissue came with the Cyclone suspension and AWD drivetrain.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

They can re-pop the Cyclone, it's been reissued long after any of the S-10 versions. What they don't seem to have anymore is the regular S-10 drivetrain and suspension parts to make a RWD truck. So the recent mish-mash reissue came with the Cyclone suspension and AWD drivetrain.

James, or anyone who might now, is the Cyclone AWD system similar to what's used for a Baja Chevy S10?

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Luc Janssens

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

James, or anyone who might now, is the Cyclone AWD system similar to what's used for a Baja Chevy S10?

maxresdefault.jpg

The transfer case will be different, but at scale it shouldn’t really be noticeable. The only thing to really do would be raise the suspension.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's an interesting question, I think if they could have reissued the Syclone they would have but who knows.

The youtube channel Stay Tuned just built a Syclone out of junkyard parts. They used a 4x4 S-10 and put the entire driveline from a GMC Safari mini van in it. Add 1 Chinese turbo and they were doing 4 second 0-60 times. 

I saved an AWD astro van after the 4.3 went with the intent of cloning a Typhoon. I believe the original used a 2dr 2wd chassis but its not important now. It was hard to find a good 2dr S10 so the project died.

It's an interesting question, I think if they could have reissued the Syclone they would have but who knows.

It was reissued in 2010, my LHS still has one on shelf. I've never not found one at a model show. I know none of that makes the current Revell any money, but it doesn't seem like that 2010 reissue sold particularly well. If there's anything to doom a project or reissue it's lackluster sales of that thing previously or a related piece of subject matter. We still haven't gotten a modern pickup out of anyone because of the utter clunkers the '97 F-150s that were simultaneously released by AMT, Revell & Lindberg. Revell completely ignores any sort of modern high end sports/supercar because of the disaster that was the video game inside a model kit project. 

Edited by niteowl7710

I'm pretty sure they still can. Last time it was reissued was 2010 and was available for several years after so still on the shelves until not that long ago.

But, Yea, count me in for a Typhoon. 

My cousin was with a company that brought mini-trucks over from Japan for a while. This is a little something they retrieved from the far east. [hence the marker lights on the fenders]

It was lowered and had some other mods done including a bigger turbo, went like stink. I would have bought it for myself if I could have swung it at the time but had just bought the house so the funds just weren't there.

100 0370

100 0371

37 minutes ago, monza77 said:

I saved an AWD astro van after the 4.3 went with the intent of cloning a Typhoon. I believe the original used a 2dr 2wd chassis but its not important now. It was hard to find a good 2dr S10 so the project died.

According to the the Stay Tuned guys you need a 4x4 S-10 because it has the mounts for the front differential, the driven front spindles, and the correct frame crossmembers for mounting the transfer case and having a front driveshaft.

13 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Yea, count me in for a Typhoon

According to an article I read in Scale Auto years ago, Revell had fully intended to produce a Typhoon. They even had the boxart designed, but something happened and caused them to axe the project. There was a photo of the art in the article..  I wanna say sometime between 94 and 95 I believe. I think the article touched on resin casting also, there was a Typhoon casting for the Revell application.

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

According to an article I read in Scale Auto years ago, Revell had fully intended to produce a Typhoon. They even had the boxart designed, but something happened and caused them to axe the project. There was a photo of the art in the article..  I wanna say sometime between 94 and 95 I believe. I think the article touched on resin casting also, there was a Typhoon casting for the Revell application.

It’s a shame because then there could have been a retail kit of a first gen S10 Blazer/Jimmy body!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, disconovaman said:

In that time frame it was probably because Wal-Mart's buyers didn't like it. Those folks killed off all sorts of projects in the mid/ late 90s and about took out the Domestic Kit Manufacturers as a whole. 

• Like 3

On 10/13/2023 at 6:08 AM, Rob Hall said:

Looking forward to the C8s and that Blazer.

Blazer. Could be interesting if you combined it with the Fleetside pickup for a little more detail. (Like maybe an engine and opening hood)

Edited by horsepower

On 10/17/2023 at 12:07 PM, Rob Hall said:

Since the description says 1/24th and 1979, I'd assume it's the Monogram tool.. 

Given that, I hope we get some nice z28 decal options this time around. Would be nice to see a light green set, and maybe have the orange and red set from years ago.

30 minutes ago, WillyBilly said:

I need the blazer, and the golden eagle. I had the exact Golden eagle pictured with a 304 v8, and I had a couple M1009 military blazers, so having one of each will be a must. Oh dear, I just promised my wife I had bought my last model. LOL

I didn't notice the Jeep was the 1/24th kit. I'll need to get one of those too. And the military Blazer might make a good kit for Revell to release sometime in the future. They could tool up a small tree with the military specific parts and put it out as a new kit. That would be cool!

aaMilBlazer.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, Phildaupho said:

Since appearing on the Stevens International TBA list there has been no mention of when and if we can expect the re-release of the much desired Revell '32 Ford Sedan.

I sure hope they do! Kitbashing that kit with the recent new tool roadster would be a dream!! 

• Like 1