Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convertible.

StevenGuthmiller

I am just sitting here in front of my computer babbling to myself. Your work is simply amazing. The transformation of that stock metal top to a convertible top is beyond my simple understanding. One question: in the picture where you are showing the inside structure it appears there are stitching seams across the top - how did you do that?

5 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I am just sitting here in front of my computer babbling to myself. Your work is simply amazing. The transformation of that stock metal top to a convertible top is beyond my simple understanding. One question: in the picture where you are showing the inside structure it appears there are stitching seams across the top - how did you do that?

The stitching was actually molded into the top.

Steve

Thanks guys!

Here is a text book example of the reason that I like to post detailed WIPs of my projects.

It was brought to my attention by a couple of gentlemen in the Facebook modeling groups that the '64/'65 GM A-Body convertibles did in fact NOT have snaps to secure the top boot.
Not being aware of that fact, I began to install snaps, but was alerted to this mistake by these individuals.

It might not be important to some, but I do strive to be as accurate as possible, and without the detailed posts, and some folks who were more knowledgeable than I about this particular detail, I would have continued this inaccuracy and at some point, it would have been difficult or impossible to change.

So, in conclusion, thank you to the gentleman who alerted me!
I'm always open for suggestions to help make my projects the best that I can make them.
I've since returned to the shop and have done the boot trim over......correctly this time! 😁

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

Steve
  • Like 3

I did a quick investigation (looked at pictures) and I didn't see snaps on mid-size GMs until '68. Weird, huh? I wonder if it was an option because I did see one but figured it was a custom installation because almost all I saw had no boots at all except some that appeared just laying on the down roof but not snapped down. Who knew? Just the full size cars had snap-down boots. I'm surprised 😯.

• 2 weeks later...

On to some other modifications.

I started looking at what needed to be done to the engine compartment, and as there are differences between the '66 GTO compartment that I'm using, and the '64's compartment, I began investigating what changes had to be made.

The most glaring difference was the radiator guard/shroud.

As I had to remove the '66's guard, I discovered an issue that I needed to find a solution for.

The radiator from the '66 GTO is molded to fit around the guard that I was removing, so I either needed to find a replacement for at least the upper tank, or I was going to have to modify what I had.

Look as I may, I couldn't find a radiator tank that resembled the tank from the '64/'66 in any of the kits that I had.

So, into the shop to basically scratch build a radiator tank.

This is what I came up with.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

Beginning some of the less glamorous, but necessary changes to the chassis and engine bay.

The body of the donor '66 GTO appears to be a bit narrower at the bottom than the '64, so I felt that some fillers were needed to deal with some of the gaps.

Some filling was also required with the firewall to get rid of gaps and holes as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

I love reading your build threads. There is so  much information for any modeler and your skills are awesome. Still so much to learn for me I think.

The softtop looks top notch. Can´t wait to see more.

Really nice work as always Steve! Glad to see a convertible with the uptop, because a) the top itself looks fantastic, and b) I think most of the convertibles look the best with the top up anyway.:P

Excellent work with the details. This will be another stunning model when finished. I'll be watching.

• 1 month later...

Gives you a chance to back up and really study what you have to see if any adjustments need to be made before it's too late. Years ago, I thought guys who did mock ups were just admiring the model ahead of time! Haha. Then, I learned the benefits of doing it for myself.

As others have said your builds are amazing. So realistic.
Your 1/24 and 1/25 builds are indistinguishable from the real car. 
I can only imagine what you would do with a 1/12 scale model.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, for your encouragement!

Finally getting back on this project a little since sitting for 6 weeks or more :o

After getting some feed back, and a little parts help from some of the members, I've decided to go with a 326 2 bbl in this model.

As I am not aware of any aftermarket 2 bbl Rochester carbs available, it fell on me to try to dress up a kit 2 bbl.

This started as the center carb from the Revell '66 GTO kit, with a little bit of added detail.

Pay no mind to the attached rear carb as that will eventually be removed.

Just left it there for the time being as a "handle". ;)

Still have some linkage to add, but I believe that it will be at least a bit of an improvement over the kit parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve