Model Cars Magazine Forum

News about the new "Jo-Han USA Oldies LLC" courtesy of Todd Sargis

tim boyd

I was in a rush at the NNL Motor City last Sunday and missed the table occupied by the team behind the new company organized under the Jo-Han USA Oldies LLC name.  However, Todd Sargis was there and took several images of the material at the subject table.  

Apparently, this new group is not affiliated with the JoHan company (note the different spelling) that did the 1959 Rambler wagon kit some time back, as well as some other projects including most recently, a proposed Powell pickup kit.    

With Todd's permission (these are his photos) and Todd's reported concurrence from the Jo-Han USA Oldies LLC team, here are a couple of information images.  

image.png.69a247aab3c00baf4c931dcbceecd319.png

image.png.c1d787566ccbdffebbf60e93a11f4ed7.png

Apparently, they also had a display at the NNL Undercover event in Akron a couple of weeks ago.   

The Utility Trailer shown above is their first product, and reportedly their first run of that product is already sold out. 

As stated above, I did not talk to the principles so I cannot relay any further information or answer questions.  Sorry 'bout that.   

But it certainly sounds interesting, to say the least.

Thanks again to Todd Sargis for the information and for providing the above two pictures....TIM 

• Like 2

I’m as disappointed with the above announcement Tim is showing us. As I am excited with the news gave Tim us else where here, about Round 2’s upcoming kits. I was hoping for a Jo-Han model company that reissued old Jo-Han kits the way Round 2 is reissuing old AMT and MPC kits. The Utility Trailer is kind of cool. But, not what I’m really wanting from a model company using the good old “Jo-Han” name.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I’m as disappointed with the above announcement Tim is showing us. As I am excited with the news gave Tim us else where here, about Round 2’s upcoming kits. I was hoping for a Jo-Han model company that reissued old Jo-Han kits the way Round 2 is reissuing old AMT and MPC kits. 

Anything they would do, though would have to be new tooling since the old tooling no longer exists.  This is just the first item. 

Edited by Rob Hall

17 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I’m as disappointed with the above announcement Tim is showing us. As I am excited with the news gave Tim us else where here, about Round 2’s upcoming kits. I was hoping for a Jo-Han model company that reissued old Jo-Han kits the way Round 2 is reissuing old AMT and MPC kits. The Utility Trailer is kind of cool. But, not what I’m really wanting from a model company using the good old “Jo-Han” name.

Rome wasn't built in a day. 😉

8 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

I'm just wondering here. Did Okey Spalding sell what he owned of "JoHan Models LLC"? Or is this "Jo-Han USA Oldies LLC" a separate entity? I haven't seen anything from Okey in years but I did buy some of his Resin interior 69 AMX reproduced promos about 15 years ago.

I was wondering the same thing.  If Jo-Han USA Oldies LLC is the new company;  did Okey Spaulding sell his ownership of the JoHan/Seville name ?  How is he able to sell the JoHan kit parts when there is a new company now?  Is this a situation where there are two Johan entities; one entity owned by Okey Spaulding and another owned by a group of individuals that call their company JoHan USA Models LLC?  Looks like there is two Jo-Han companies.

Okey didn't buy the company, only tooling and (some) leftover stock.  For all we know, the original Jo-Han company could still be in business under some other name, producing some unknown (to us) product or service.

Okey's operation is Johan (no hyphen), the other one is hyphenated as was the original company's name.

On 11/19/2023 at 12:54 PM, Luc Janssens said:

So the trailer is printed anyone know what kind of material it is?

Thanks!

Luc

I heard it explained at the Akron show, but don't recall...something about wood filaments for the bed decking, I think...looking forward to getting mine. 

10 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

I'm just wondering here. Did Okey Spalding sell what he owned of "JoHan Models LLC"? Or is this "Jo-Han USA Oldies LLC" a separate entity? I haven't seen anything from Okey in years but I did buy some of his Resin interior 69 AMX reproduced promos about 15 years ago.

2 seperate enitiies, no connection between them

I know all 3 of the guys behind the new johan and they are not affiliated with Okey at all, completely new company. They don't want to put a bad taste in any mouths so theyre starting off small with the trailer to see how those do and are going from there. They won't do any sales till they have product in hand.

• Like 3