Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum Software Upgraded

Dave Ambrose

Didn't see any problems before, don't see any now. But additionally, I don't think I ever looked once into my profile page "Activity", so whatever was there - nothing now - I don't miss it. If it helps with any diagnostics, however, I'm using a version of Firefox that is at least two years out of date, due to my iMac's OS being obsolete* enough that it can't load any new browser updates.

*(Accepting donations to help me buy a new used iMac, just remember to make the check out to "Cash.")

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Had this issue for a while now.  At the top of the page is tells me that I have a response to my posts.  However when I look at my post the response is not there.  Some never seem to get added to the post no matter how long after the response has been up.

You may be getting reactions (similar to likes on Facebook) and not responses. Look at the bottom right corner of your posts.

• Like 1

Much of the "activity" on my main profile page has magically reappeared, but not all. Interesting.

Anyway, the "topics" I've posted are still accessible through the "see my activity" link (far right of screen, within the bar adjacent to the photo), so it's still easy to access older build threads for updates...which was all I was really concerned about.

Otherwise no issues...either on Chrome or Firefox.

I have been using Duck Duck Go (filter?) with the latest Firefox Browser. I also have uBlock Origin popup blocker. I have been in this configuration for years.

I NEVER get pop up ads EVER. Not here, not YouTube not anywhere.

I have a short cut on the browser homescreen that takes me directly to Content/Started as my 1st page. I can see if anyone has replied to my posts, I have both notification and messages counts at the top of the page.

As a matter of practice, I use right click, 'open new tab' for any threads I want to view. I then view all the tabs one at a time to read and/or post comments without needing to navigate away from my Content/Started page. It permits me to efficiently navigate the forum in short order.

Note: YouTube attempted to throw a 5 second delay for any viewer using an adblocker. Consequently, they were flamed for their efforts and the smart software people exposed what they did and shared workarounds. The brouhaha was so loud they dropped the change in 2-3 days. Keep in mind Google owns YouTube and were trying to force everyone to transition to their monopoly. The Europeans frown on such tactics and would have fined them heavily if left intact.

• Like 1

Update: I think we have it fixed. I'm having no issues using the forum with Chrome. I tested paging, activity streams, posting, and search. The fix triggered some massive index rebuilds, so searching may take a while. We have 2.5 million posts, so I suspect anything touching that resource will take a long(ish) time. 

Leave a comment here if you experience anything odd, but it really looks like this problem is fixed. 

Thank you all for your patience. This was a difficult problem to diagnose and solve.  

Nota Bene: I'm seeing some delays in saving posts. I suspect this is temporary. but I'll keep an eye on it. 

• Like 3

So far so good.

Everything seems to be working as it should.

I have been able to while connected to the website as https://www.modelcarsmag.com - log out, log in (without any indication of an insecure connection), reset my password, give "like" to postings, search, change pages in multiple page postings, etc...  as I would expect without any warnings of insecure content. 

As well, there are nice little thumbnail pictures on search results and when viewing unread content page listing.

Well done.

cheers, Graham

9 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Update: I think we have it fixed. I'm having no issues using the forum with Chrome. I tested paging, activity streams, posting, and search. The fix triggered some massive index rebuilds, so searching may take a while. We have 2.5 million posts, so I suspect anything touching that resource will take a long(ish) time. 

Leave a comment here if you experience anything odd, but it really looks like this problem is fixed. 

Thank you all for your patience. This was a difficult problem to diagnose and solve.  

Nota Bene: I'm seeing some delays in saving posts. I suspect this is temporary. but I'll keep an eye on it. 

Thank you Dave I can appreciate how difficult it was to fix that issue.  Thanks for your time on this and the other mods time dealing with all of the issues members were having.

A couple of notes.

Activity list in profile is displaying properly now

I like the thumbnail previews in the latest activity expanded 

On my iphone and on my tablet the site is now showing in https throughout the site and no functional issues

26 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Dave!

Your mastery of software is in full display again! All is fine, glitches solved. Thanks a million!

CT 

Yes it looks like everything works as it should now, Thanks for the work you do Dave.