Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum Software Upgraded

Dave Ambrose

7 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Nice tune-up Dave - thank you! 

I didn't specifically notice any, but did this update add any new features? 

There are some new features, we're using one of them to fight the spammers. There are some others that we'll likely roll out after the first of the year. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Update: I think we have it fixed. I'm having no issues using the forum with Chrome. I tested paging, activity streams, posting, and search. The fix triggered some massive index rebuilds, so searching may take a while. We have 2.5 million posts, so I suspect anything touching that resource will take a long(ish) time. 

Leave a comment here if you experience anything odd, but it really looks like this problem is fixed. 

Thank you all for your patience. This was a difficult problem to diagnose and solve.  

Nota Bene: I'm seeing some delays in saving posts. I suspect this is temporary. but I'll keep an eye on it. 

works fine now for me Dave. Thanks for fixing it.

I was gonna say something about some moderators, early on telling us the problem was [mostly] all on our side and not a problem with the forum but I think I'll let that go. 😒

well...I am STILL using Firefox and I was able to page through this entire topic without having to Right Click on each page number and select open in new tab.  That is the first time in about 2 years!

Nice work Dave...my patience level is restored (or is it just because it's a full moon tonight?)

On 11/29/2023 at 4:26 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm getting intermittent glitches as of this AM's logon, like posts and PMs not posting, and going to a "technical error...site can't be displayed" message. Refreshing the page fixes it...so far.

Did you clear your browser cache? It sounds like the browser is trying to use outdated files with the new site. 

On 12/1/2023 at 1:20 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Did you clear your browser cache? It sounds like the browser is trying to use outdated files with the new site. 

Yup. Even before I logged in to the new improved post-update version the first time.

Still hanging occasionally pretty much all the time now.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 11/29/2023 at 7:26 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm getting intermittent glitches as of this AM's logon, like posts and PMs not posting, and going to a "technical error...site can't be displayed" message. Refreshing the page fixes it...so far.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:20 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. Even before I logged in to the new improved post-update version the first time.

Still hanging occasionally pretty much all the time now.

Now 7:12 PM EST it seems to be happy for the most part. Occasional hang-fire, but nothing I can't live with.