Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO chassis 3223 at 1962 Nassau Speed Week

The first GTO early in it's racing career when it briefly raced under NART colors. It participated in 5 events at the speed week with Bandini and Hayes sharing driving duties. Initially the car wore a roughly painted number 21 but it was properly done for the last outing, the Nassau Trophy race in which Hayes came in 5th and first in class.

Fujimi kit with some minor detailing of the interior and engine compartment. 3D printed wheels and tires from Jack_Modelling are providing a much improved upgrade from the kit components. Superb VRM decals and my own mix of colors for the car livery.

Thank you for watching

GTO 1.jpg

GTO 2.jpg

GTO 3.jpg

GTO 4.jpg

GTO 5.jpg

GTO 6.jpg

GTO 7.jpg

GTO 8.jpg

GTO 9.jpg

GTO 10.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 13

Another amazingly excellent, life like build, Pierre. It's hard to wrap your head around a blue Ferrari but when you read the history, you understand how that happened. Again, the paint is out of this world deep and beautiful and knowing it is brush painted makes it even more amazing. You are the master of this brush painting process and I thank you for all you have taught me about it.

22 hours ago, drodg said:

Great job.  The wheels are fabulous.  

Thank you David. The wheels & tires were a little team project with Jason Hupin (Jack_Modelling) and they are a game changer.

22 hours ago, Mittagskind said:

Yeah, another phantstic built. Great!

Thanks Hanjo, I needed a good straightforward kit after the Alfa 8C challenge and Fujimi came to the rescue.

21 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Really excellent build and finish as we have come to expect.

Thank you Gary. It's a very good kit and a joy to put together.

20 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thank you Chris

20 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Absolutely top class model, Pierre ! I've been following your WIP  all along - I will be looking for other modeling subjects for a while - this GTO can hardly be topped.

Thanks Helmut. The kit was easy, the paint not so easy but I took notes on adjustments I need to make in my metallic color formulations

19 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Another amazingly excellent, life like build, Pierre. It's hard to wrap your head around a blue Ferrari but when you read the history, you understand how that happened. Again, the paint is out of this world deep and beautiful and knowing it is brush painted makes it even more amazing. You are the master of this brush painting process and I thank you for all you have taught me about it.

Thank you sir. I need a solid color for the next build, this metallic color stuff is not easy!

19 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

It's always a blast to look at your models Pierre, Awesome as always and you include a bit of history as well. Pure eye candy. Bravo!

Thank you Mario, likewise I very much enjoy following your builds.

19 hours ago, Roger U said:

A beautiful model cleanly built.  Thanks for including information on the wheels and decals. I have the Fujimi kit and plan to build it when my skills improve. 

I highly recommend the wheel & tire package upgrade as it adds a lot of realism

16 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful Ferrari.  Really well done.

Thanks Jim

15 hours ago, afx said:

Brilliant.

Thank you professor Reckner.

14 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Pierre...this turned out spectacular.  Followed your WIP with great interest.  You definetly knocked it out of the park with this one. 

There are a few things I would do better but it came out good considering I built it on a tight (for me) schedule.

12 hours ago, Dave B said:

Another great build Pierre, tks for posting.

Dave B

Thanks Dave

12 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

WOW. Fabulously attractive GTO. Love the colour. I was at the 2004 Monterey Historics when 20 GTO's raced. Most were red but there was one very much the same colour as your model.

Possibly the restored chassis 3387, which is the color I aimed for as 3223 was also a NART entry for a short period in late 62 / early 63.

• Like 1

IMHO this is the most beautiful Ferrari ever built and your rendition is just as beautiful as the original. I am thoroughly floored by that awesome paint job, and to know it is brush painted makes it even more so. Excellent build sir, you are a true craftsman.

On 12/1/2023 at 9:03 AM, Tommy124 said:

Sharp-looking GTO, very nicely done!

Thank you very much sir

On 12/1/2023 at 9:14 AM, SpikeSchumacher said:

Superb!

Thanks schumi

23 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!!

Thank you Larry

18 hours ago, maysula said:

Good looking car 🙂 Great work and the wheels are very nice !

The printed Borranis and Dunlops address a weakness in what is otherwise a very good kit

11 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

IMHO this is the most beautiful Ferrari ever built and your rendition is just as beautiful as the original. I am thoroughly floored by that awesome paint job, and to know it is brush painted makes it even more so. Excellent build sir, you are a true craftsman.

Thank you Ricky. This car was styled in house with the only purpose of maximum top speed but somehow it ended up being the most beautiful of them all. It has been a journey (by necessity, not by choice) to learn how to brush paint these. I'm not completely satisfied with the paint job on this one but I was pressed for time and could not re-do it to my liking. Still reasonably good in the end.

10 hours ago, Brudda said:

Very very nice! Fantastic build!

Thanks Bruce

7 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Looks fantastic Pierre

Merci Edgar

• 2 weeks later...