Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to strip Tamiya TS paint?

1 hour ago, Miatatom said:

91% isopropyl alcohol

If 91% works, then 99% should work even better.  99% IPA (or Isopropanol) should be available in gallon size tin cans at local hardware stores (in the pain thinners section). If not, they should be able to special order it for you.  Not sure about the big box stores, but I know that Ace Hardware will do that.

Of course the price for 99% IPA has surged few years ago (during the COVID pandemic) and didn't go down.  Thankfully I bough some before that.

And as with any paint stripping solution, warmer works better than cold.  If your workshop is cold during the Winter, do the stripping in your main house where it is warmer.

I have also used Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. I'll put some on a paper towel or Kleenex and then rub/wipe the surface with it. That first application starts to remove and soften the paint. A couple subsequent wipes will usually get it all off. If there are recessed areas, a toothbrush or a paint brush with some thinner on it will usually take care of those areas.

Bart

Edited by bh1701
Correct typing
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Be careful with the lacquer thinner because it will also dissolve the styrene itself.

I have never had that issue when I am using Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and paper towels or Kleenex to wipe the paint off. However, I am guessing that soaking it in the thinner might be enough to do some damage.

Bart

21 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Be careful with the lacquer thinner because it will also dissolve the styrene itself.

Lacquer thinner is a generic term; they are all not the same nor created equal. Some contain acetone, various alcohols, MEK, etc... Check their safety data sheet for details.

Tamiya lacquer thinner with yellow cap part number 87077 is composed of:

Propan-2-ol CAS no. 67-63-0 also known as isopropyl alcohol content > 50%

4-methylpentan-2-one CAS no. 108-10-1 also known as isobutyl methyl ketone content < 30%

2-butoxyethanol CAS no. 111-76-2 content 5 - <10%

I have soaked polystyrene parts in Tamiya yellow cap lacquer for several days with no ill effects. I also soak "chrome" plated plastic parts to remove the "chrome". It does not remove the "chrome" in the same way that oven cleaner dissolves the "chrome". Rather, it softens and removes the underlying lacquer on the part which causes the "chrome" to flake off and so be removed.

Also, Tamiya has a paint remover product part number 87183 which works very well for removing paint and "chrome" as I described above. In fact, I have found a 50:50 mix of the Tamiya lacquer thinner and Tamiya paint remover works a bit better than either alone. 

As always, manufacturers can and do change the formulation of their products from time to time due to changing regulations and in order to improve or reduce costs. Always test whenever you are using something that you have not used before. 

cheers, Graham

Edited by ColonelKrypton
tinger frouble
  • Like 1