Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 Hour Wildcat

xs650shawn

Built this for a 24 hour challenge. Started at 1130 am 12/31/23, finished at 1035 am 1/1/24. AMT 1966 Wildcat. With more time, could be a decent kit, despite the inaccurate interior. Paint definitely needed more drying time, and could benefit from a cut and polish. And this thing was a bear to foil. Overall not bad, not great. I do these 24 hour challenges just to test myself, not for perfection.

20240101_103406.jpg

20240101_103413.jpg

20240101_103425.jpg

20240101_103433.jpg

20240101_103349.jpg

20240101_081804.jpg

20240101_081749.jpg

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Great build for a 24 hr job. I enjoy doing a 24 hr build. 

There is an annual 24 hr build coming up on Jan 27-28 if anybody is interested. Come and join in. PM me if you want more info.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1195723418001143/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT

Later-

I have done that 24 hour challenge for the past 2 years. Can't this year, daughters have gymnastics competition the same weekend.  That's why I chose to compete in the one I did, on a different FB group. I think there only ended up being 3 participants, including myself

• Like 1

Nice build... especially when accomplished in 24 hours! I started thinking about where I would start if I were to attempt a build in 24 hours, and I can't answer my own question!

Did you start with painting major components, like the body, interior tub, chassis? Then, while those are drying start on the engine and wheels?

Anyone who's done a 24 hour build, help me understand your method!

Edited by '70 Grande

20 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Nice build... especially when accomplished in 24 hours! I started thinking about where I would start if I were to attempt a build in 24 hours, and I can't answer my own question!

Did you start with painting major components, like the body, interior tub, chassis? Then, while those are drying start on the engine and wheels?

Anyone who's done a 24 hour build, help me understand your method!

I start with the body, as it takes the most effort to paint. But it can still be sketchy if it will dry appropriately, especially in the winter. This one had some paint come off with the BMF around the rear quarter script.

From there I build all the subassemblies I can- engine, chassis, seats, etc, and paint them. Key is to use fast drying glues- CA or Tamiya fast set, and fast drying paints. For a build like this, I usually use acrylics and 2k clear, and speed the drying with heat. Prep everything at once, meaning remove all mold lines, etc. And paint all parts that will be the same color at once. I do all the rest of assembly the next day. Now, it's not my best work, but I enjoy the challenge.