Model Cars Magazine Forum

Even when I have restricted my model kit collection to US cars and trucks except for a very few exceptions I have several hundred in my stash...I lost count a long time ago.
And yes, I intend to build everyone and have pålans for most of them, and no I will not have time to do it before I kick the bucket and leave this planet.

• Like 1

I forget exactly when, this was when most model production was shifted to China. Along with that was a fear that these molds could get lost in the case of some conflict and we would never see any of these models again. 

Some in the industry were instrumental in digging up old kits that had flaws in them, but full speed ahead. There was not much in new models on the drawing board. I think that fear fueled me and others to go into a full-hoard mode. This is why I have 2 to 6 of certain kits.

• Like 1

my stash is currently around 75 kits.  I made a spreadsheet with notes on what I had planned for each or if it's a donor for one or more of the others.  Hope to get it down to 15-20 kits within 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Force said:

One thing to get your wife to stop complaining on how many kits you have is to ask her how many pairs of shoes she has. 😉😁

My kits far out number my Wifes shoes and she has a lot. But she also has no issue with my hobby either. :)

• Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 11:51 AM, Bainford said:

IMG-20190322-WA0000_zpshbjov9dc.jpg.5e63c5b61ffee1dd4bd709b7e75d86d4.jpg

Sounds like my wife lately. I don't want to get into numbers, since I really don't know what they are, but if I was half my age and built at least one a week there would be more than a few left over when I die in what we call my wife's "Widows Pension".

On 1/22/2024 at 1:21 PM, Force said:

One thing to get your wife to stop complaining on how many kits you have is to ask her how many pairs of shoes she has. 😉😁

That's what I tell wife every time she tells me I have too many kits. She shuts up fast. LOL!!

Edited by BlackSheep214

Back in the 80's when I was a bar hoppin'  weed smokin'  Pootang chasin' wrench turner, i thought I was done building and only wanted to build 1:1 stuff so...

I donated all my kits, parts and tools to a "Make A Wish" child that really loved models.  I have never regretted it, because I able to help make a dying kid happy for his last days.

I'm currently sitting on a couple hundred kits since getting back into the hobby in the 90's. 

Told the wife that my kids and grandkids get first pick of the stash when I pass, the rest go to "Make A Wish"

• Like 4

On 1/22/2024 at 1:11 PM, JJ Deuce said:

my stash is currently around 75 kits.  I made a spreadsheet with notes on what I had planned for each or if it's a donor for one or more of the others.  Hope to get it down to 15-20 kits within 5 years.

Man, that’s a great plan and idea.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 10:12 AM, ewetwo said:

I have way too many kits and not enough time. lol!  And sadly no one in the family wants them. 

I wouldn’t worry about anyone wanting them , we bought them to use and make us happy. 

The kit stash conundrum. When it needs to be disposed of.

Half built or started kits..........mostly worthless to sell on.       But could be donated to ex military veterans organisations to finish building them as therapy.

Intact kits......worth something depending on age, condition, rarity etc. BUT, does whoever needs to clear all this stuff know how to dispose and capitalise on it? Traders will usually be interested in buying collections to sell on, and often the easiest way to dispose of complete stashes, but not the most profitable way to dispose of them.

Sometimes we just get to a point where 'stuff' has to go, before lumbering someone else with having to do it eventually.