Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rodded '32 Chevy delivery

I wanted to start on this last fall but just located it again last weekend.

It will be in my customary style of an unaltered body with updated engine and underpinnings. 

I may [probably will] keep the parallel leaf suspension setup front and back but with a dropped front axel and lowering blocks in the rear.  BUT, nothing is set in plastic yet.

That said, I could really use a rad/grille and headlight bar with good chrome, if anyone has a spare to trade. 

I've also seem to have lost one of the rear doors but I can easily cast another as the only difference in the two on the outside is what side the hinges are on.

Thanks for the interest.  😉

image.png.e35e192b404cb214997a686d578370c5.png

image.png.6ff23727dc209699e2e56860750cc557.png

• Like 4

That color is cool, I assume this is a rebuilder and that is the original color, but it would be cool if you keep it or get something close when you redo it. Your plan for the build sounds good too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, larman said:

That color is cool, I assume this is a rebuilder and that is the original color, but it would be cool if you keep it or get something close when you redo it. Your plan for the build sounds good too.

Actually, I'm kinda up in the air right now. I'll either mix up some solid industrial style grey/blue close to what's on it now or go all out with candy blue. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's back in the dunk again after I took these pics earlier today. Gonna try to get some more of that old paint off. It's probably been on there for about 50 years.

Overall, not in too bad a shape for being redone at least once. I was surprised that the windshield surround came out of the body in one piece. Looks like it's actually from the Cabriolet body, I haven't checked on line for directions but will.

image.png.ad986c7fcf34ff1ca83e4634fbcf818b.png

image.png.fbf647cf7165ae962d39e45299c5afab.png

image.png.247780980573953b29b56d2337677599.png

I've also found the missing back door. Too bad the glass was glued on from the outside and some damage was done. Doesn't look like an easy fix either.

image.png.ac4048648bc8a4a97aadc091a0b5424f.png

Bonus shot of probable wheel and tire choice,,Using the original spokes with resin 19" rims.

image.png.5dfe9b8dc44cbc191d10e3f8e06c0d19.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, espo said:

The "glass" for the rear doors can easily be replaced with almost any clear plastic you can find or buy. 

I know. No worries there. The problem is the damage done to the outside of the openings. That's gonna be a bit harder to repair. 

49 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I know. No worries there. The problem is the damage done to the outside of the openings. That's gonna be a bit harder to repair. 

I see what you mean, the bevel shape inwards will be hard to cleanup. 

17 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I'd fill both windows in the Doors with sheet plastic and then scare up some of the clear Van Windows in the Dome or Teardrop shapes, and inset them into the doors.

No worries, a friend has offered a set. 👍

• Like 1

Hi Steve, this will be a cool project. In those first couple of photos it looks like a legit barn find! Looking forward to watching you work your magic on it, whichever way you go. I like the wheels with the 19” sleeves, very cool.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 3:22 PM, Can-Con said:

Something to consider if you decide to repair the window moldings on the opening. In the past while changing the rear window moldings on a Suburban build, I used some Plastruct strips of the same size to fill the gaps and even completely replace the kits moldings. This would also offer you an opportunity to change the moldings in any way that may look better to you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, espo said:

Something to consider if you decide to repair the window moldings on the opening. In the past while changing the rear window moldings on a Suburban build, I used some Plastruct strips of the same size to fill the gaps and even completely replace the kits moldings. This would also offer you an opportunity to change the moldings in any way that may look better to you. 

No worries David. A friend has offered a good pair of doors. 👍

• Like 1

Sitting in Easy Off for the last week didn't do much to take the first coat of dark blue off it so I thought I'd try rubbing alcohol.
Started rubbing with paper towel wetted with 99% isopropyl alcohol and it rubbed right off. No idea what it was though. Must have been some kind of craft paint.

Anyway, turns out the parts are in better shape then I expected with just minor glue rash in a couple spots.

I have a kinda glue bomb version of the cabriolet that doesn't have the wells for the spare tires in the fender unit, just a couple small holes for exhaust pipes to go through.  I'm gonna use that. I really don't want the fender mount spares on this build. 

image.png.cfe2d64a755073b3db3934bf63609fcd.png

image.png.76f31789ad2ec2dc4902abda1ce5bb49.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so, Here's a pic of the Cabriolet fender unit with the exhaust holes filled with a piece of sprue. 

image.png.9036c7325d3bb3fccb5c8c6428e554ea.png

,,And here's the primed body sitting on the primed fender unit with the spare tire wells that came in the kit. I'm flip/flopping on which fenders I want to use now.

as well on paint and engine choices. 😕 Thinking about the hopped up strait 6 from the AMT '51 Chevy now and deep metallic brown for paint but ??? 

Also, the like new rear doors a friend sent me for the project.

image.png.2daa903850c191ea76050ff07f655b70.png

image.png.e31e4c3bdc56449ba3de78b8712e681e.png

image.png.68f7db8a93a0d5175c9239f885fd5bf7.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...