Model Cars Magazine Forum

WHATS GOING ON HERE?

I graduated college in Spring 1981. With job offer in hand, I went looking for my first new vehicle. Off the lot, I bought a Chevy C-10, short bed,  250c.i. six pin, three on the tree, no power brakes, steering, or air. Crank windows. After a little back and forth, I paid $3100.

Fast forward to today: The new Ram 1500 was announced with the "Tungsten" trim level. Key word here is "Ram 1500", not "2500" or "3500". Starting price..........$89,150! Ram marketing honcho is quoted as saying "I think people want something that can do it all. You talk about price, but there is a value proposition here. That truck is more comfortable, more quiet, and has more power than a luxury sedan. And, it can tow 11,000 pounds."

Far be it for me to tell ya what you can or cannot buy. However, where does this nonsense end? I mean, a $90,000 starting price for a half ton truck? I guess if no one bought them, they wouldn't make them! Tell me what you think...... 

• Like 2

I agree with ya.

My '92 Silverado extended-cab that I bought used for $2500 way back in 2005, is, after a few upgrades, almost as comfortable and capable as a new truck built to the same load-spec. Plus...it's appreciating in value, just like all the OBS Chevy trucks.

And I apparently saved 80 grand.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

The first new vehicle I ever bought was a 1972 Chevy C-10 (350, auto, AM radio, step rear bumper), cost me a whopping $3200. Got it the first time I reenlisted in the USAF, used part of my reenlistment bonus as a down payment. Moving on to 2010, bought a new Ford Ranger (4.0 V-6, auto, AM-FM Sirius capable radio, auto doorlocks, windows) set me back $18,000 and change. Recent purchase of a 2022 F-150 (5.0 V-8, auto, 4X4, too many bells and whistles) $48,000 and change. Just received an offer from the dealer I bought it from wanting me to buy a new F-150, prices are up around $65,000 and he is willing to offer me $28-34,000 trade-in. Guess I will probably keep my current F-150 until it or me falls apart.

• Like 1

Taking out a mortgage on a vehicle is crazy. You're going to lose a big chunk of value the moment you hit the road. I see very few of these luxury trucks hauling anything but the buyers rear end. They're merely status symbols. Give me my $3600 focus I own outright any day. I don't need all the distractions new vehicles have. 

• Like 5

While the current prices for those trucks appear to be crazy, have you compared price of an average house today to what it was back in the '80s?  Or the price of groceries?  I think you know where I'm going here. Inflation.

And today's trucks are appointed like luxury vehicles, not the basic workhorse trucks from the '80s (with manual windows, no GPS or fancy entertainment systems, bench seat, etc. etc.). You need to compare apples to apples.

• Like 2

I'm getting a chuckle out of hearing about how the price of people's new cars and trucks keep going up and up. We keep forgetting a couple of things here. #1 maybe inflation and what a dollar will buy today compared to a time in the past. I'm of the belief that on average while our wages have, hopefully anyway, have kept pace with inflation. #2 The overall content and features of vehicles today are beyond what most people enjoyed on past vehicles. #3 We do have to look at the many "Safety" features that are now required by regulatory government agencies. How else can you expect to drive down the highway clapping your hands and stomping your feet without touching the steering wheel, how boring could that be.   

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, CaddyDaddy said:

I graduated college in Spring 1981. With job offer in hand, I went looking for my first new vehicle. Off the lot, I bought a Chevy C-10, short bed,  250c.i. six pin, three on the tree, no power brakes, steering, or air. Crank windows. After a little back and forth, I paid $3100.

Fast forward to today: The new Ram 1500 was announced with the "Tungsten" trim level. Key word here is "Ram 1500", not "2500" or "3500". Starting price..........$89,150! Ram marketing honcho is quoted as saying "I think people want something that can do it all. You talk about price, but there is a value proposition here. That truck is more comfortable, more quiet, and has more power than a luxury sedan. And, it can tow 11,000 pounds."

Far be it for me to tell ya what you can or cannot buy. However, where does this nonsense end? I mean, a $90,000 starting price for a half ton truck? I guess if no one bought them, they wouldn't make them! Tell me what you think...... 

You'll lose half driving it off the lot.....🙄😔

• Like 1

Everything is overdone these days - mostly vehicles and housing. 

Even if someone wanted a base work truck / van, sans all of the techie rubbish , you can't find them on the lot - let alone trying to order one so unembellished . Now, it'd be one thing if one could order a say, C-1500, with rubber mats, tilt wheel, A/C, decent sound system (sans screens) , power - or at least truly adjustable - seating, 5.3, auto (or manual), steel wheels,  and whatever gear diff, within reason.

Then there's the 8 bedroom houses... with bonus rooms and other fancy nonsense. Translation: "No, you won't be able to afford this house on your Blue Collar income. But, thanks for playing." 

Apparently, those one-two bedroom, one bathroom, decent yard, houses aren't comfy enough for the single folk, let alone a small family.

• Like 2

$100k pickups are the norm these days.

Here at work, even our basic work-spec F150 is over $60k. CDN.

Yeah, the rebates and incentives are coming back now, but it's still a lot of money.

I miss the days of a cheap and basic truck, but you just know it would never be a success here in NA.

Toyota recently showed a truck concept that was a seriously stripped down and basic thing. And they're going to build it.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2025-toyota-imv-0-pickup-truck-first-drive-review-japan-mobility-show/

Super cheap, Asian markets only. People on news sites were all "bring it to North America!"

Well let's see here. To sell that zipper truck here, Toyota would need to engineer it to meet crash, emissions, and safety standards

That all costs money, and that's just to make the thing legal.

Now to actually sell it to more than the fringe minority of vehicle purchasers, the truck would require:

• air conditioning
  • bluetooth/Android Auto/Apple Carplay
  • power windows
  • power mirrors
  • power locks
  • touchscreens
  • USB ports
  • steering wheel controls
  • remote starter (in most places)
  • heated seats (in Canada, and many US states)
  • smartphone connectivity apps

Oh, and it would need to be built in North America.

And there goes your inexpensive truck.

Personally, I like my old Chevs. We have a 99 Tahoe LT and a 95 K1500 extended cab in our fleet. The Tahoe is still pretty loaded, but compared to modern trucks, is kind of basic. I really need to focus on getting the K!500 back on the road.

• Like 3

Yea, it's insane and there is no way I'll buy something like that. To be totally honest, I will not stray away from my F150's with a twin I beam. After my last one was totaled I finally got a replacement. For $1800 I got a less than 100K truck that i can fix at home.  

375018307_1023053205517379_6748658683589450566_n.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, peteski said:

And today's trucks are appointed like luxury vehicles, not the basic workhorse trucks from the '80s (with manual windows, no GPS or fancy entertainment systems, bench seat, etc. etc.). You need to compare apples to apples.

Ummm...my '92 Silverado came OEM with AC, power steering (tilt wheel), and brakes, fuel-injected 350 V8, 4-speed auto trans with lockup converter, power windows, locks, and mirrors, nice comfy reclining separate seats with folding armrests like what comes in new ones, soft fuzzy upholstery, cut-pile carpeting...it rides like a car with slightly firm suspension. And a killer sound system/GPS/Bluetooth (even magic touchscreen if you're too strength-challenged to use knobs) is a relatively cheap upgrade.

Pretty much a cowboy-Cadillac when new.

And pretty much the same truck was available from '88 on (not extended cab that far back, IIRC)

2WD 1992 Extended cabs started at right around 14 grand.

So...a hundred grand now for essentially the same thing, but with a slew of relatively useless bells-and-whistles added on for marketing sizzle?

What a deal.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

I miss the days of a cheap and basic truck, but you just know it would never be a success here in NA.

That must be why you can pretty much name your price for a clean OBS GM pickup, especially if it has a manual gearbox...'cause nobody wants anything that crude.

Just out of interest, but what was the last "pure" mechanical pick up or vehicle. By pure mechanical I mean it would run with out the computer or the engine is seperate from all the creature comforts. I think in europe it might be the volkswagen caddy or skoda rapide (which are mostly the same under the skin) and japan might be the mitsubishi b2200 but i have no idea about your trucks

10 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Just out of interest, but what was the last "pure" mechanical pick up or vehicle. By pure mechanical I mean it would run with out the computer or the engine is seperate from all the creature comforts. I think in europe it might be the volkswagen caddy or skoda rapide (which are mostly the same under the skin) and japan might be the mitsubishi b2200 but i have no idea about your trucks

I could be wrong, but I think '86 was the last year for a non-EFI GM V8 pickup.

Throttle-body injection with computer engine management, even on the "basic work truck" like my '89 GMC.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That must be why you can pretty much name your price for a clean OBS GM pickup, especially if it has a manual gearbox...'cause nobody wants anything that crude.

I didn't say there wouldn't be a market.

I said it wouldn't be a success.

A stripped out basic truck would be such a small percentage of overall sales, it would make no sense to produce or market to the masses.

We see it already. Just head down to your local dealership. Not even that, go online to any manufacturer's website.

Now do the configurator, and build your basic zipper truck; knowing it will still have AC, bluetooth, power everything, etc. But build it as base as you can.

Now use the locate feature and see what dealers have similar trucks in stock. 

There will be very few out there. 

Anyone can factory order that basic truck, but very few actually do.

You can still buy a Jeep Wrangler with manual trans, no AC, no power features, no hard top. Now find one at a dealer. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Throttle-body injection with computer engine management, even on the "basic work truck" like my '89 GMC.

Yes, they started the newer one piece rear main seal block in 86 but added the fuel injection in 87. The 454s may have been carbed a little longer though, I never researched those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 12:26 PM, Tabbysdaddy said:

Yea, I'm not paying almost double what I paid for my house, for a truck.

The house I am living in, my Dad had built in 1963.  The 2022 F-150 I am driving now cost me 2.75 times what Dad paid for the house. When I moved into the house back in 2012 I had spent more than 3 times the original price on much needed renovations. Guess if I want to continue living somewhat comfortably I am going to have to give up this retirement and go back to work. 😟

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

‘86 in my driveway. I’d love to have a new or newer truck but can’t bring myself to spend that much. Every time I hear of the auto workers going on strike I know the price of vehicles will be on the rise. 

2F73260C-8533-42BD-A933-140631C9EC41.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

The 454s may have been carbed a little longer though, I never researched those.

The 1990 454-SS was still carbureted , IIRC. But, those carbs have more electronic garbage on them than the fuel injection setup ! Enough over-complicated junk to baffle Mr. Wizard ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxwell48098 said:

Boy, I can remember getting a McDonald's Hamburger for 15 cents, fries set you back another 10 cents, and a large (today's medium) Coke cost another 25 cents.  And we think truck have gotten expensive.

A.J.

Let's not forget the cost of a model kit!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Just out of interest, but what was the last "pure" mechanical pick up or vehicle. By pure mechanical I mean it would run with out the computer or the engine is seperate from all the creature comforts. 

For years I had a '91 F-150 regular cab/short box with custom trim (which means rubber floor mat, bench seat, and roll-your-own windows). It was 4x4 with manual locking hubs and 5.0 v-8 with 5 speed manual. EFI, but otherwise quite basic. But the best feature was it still had the dimmer switch on the floor, the last year for it. In  '92 it moved to the steering column stalk. I always joked (well, half joked) that my  '91 was the last proper Ford pickup made because it was the last with the dimmer on the floor. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bainford said:

For years I had a '91 F-150 regular cab/short box with custom trim (which means rubber floor mat, bench seat, and roll-your-own windows). It was 4x4 with manual locking hubs and 5.0 v-8 with 5 speed manual. EFI, but otherwise quite basic. But the best feature was it still had the dimmer switch on the floor, the last year for it. In  '92 it moved to the steering column stalk. I always joked (well, half joked) that my  '91 was the last proper Ford pickup made because it was the last with the dimmer on the floor. 

I got over floor mounted dimmer switches when trying to drive my 1968 Mustang 302-4V + toploader (owned 1977-2001) in bad weather at night a few times. 67-68 Mustangs also had floor mounted windshield washers that you had to pump. That's a lot to do with your left foot...