Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures placed on forum showing up for sale on the net

I've noticed several photos that I'd displayed on the forum are showing up for sale on the internet.   Is there some policy that I've missed, or is somebody hacking pictures that we display?   I just want to make sure that I didn't miss some rule here before I proceed to discover who and why my photos are being sold without my knowledge.   I also want to make others aware that their photos could also be on the market.

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler
  • Like 1

Photos uploaded to the forum are freely accessible to anybody out there. Anybody can "save image as" to their local computer, then do whatever they want.  I guess if you want to protect them, add some sort of watermark. I see some members here do that.

if you use the more complicated method of a photo host site like flickr, you can use the settings on there to stop your pics being downloadable but that wont stop screenshots, and you risk your pics not showing if other members use some ad blockers or you forget to apy your yearly membership. it makes it a longer task to post to the forum too as you need to copy pic codes and stuff, but you can stop your pics being downlaoded

10 hours ago, Kodiak Island Modeler said:

I've noticed several photos that I'd displayed on the forum are showing up for sale on the internet. ....

Got links showing that? If I have it right, that's a basic elemental copyright violation - you capture an image, it's yours, without the necessity of getting an official copyright or putting the little c-circle mark on it. But of course, better legal minds than mine can offer better info on it all,  https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

The thing is that the original owner, that will say the photographer, owns the rights to the pictures he or she has taken...that's it...but the problem is to prove that they are yours without a watermark or something like that.
And one can download all pictures on internet, either as save as or screen shots so it's impossible to stop.
So this is most likely a thing we have to live with if we share pictures on internet.

Edited by Force

Don't know about selling but I have come across my pics being used in youtube videos a couple times without being asked. 

This one in a Jo-Han history video,

image.png.c34757b3ef00859320c6d8f689205197.png

and this one a couple months ago in a review video for the re-release.

I hope the people who watched that video and bought the kit weren't too disappointed that most of the accessories I added were not in the kit.😉 

image.png.2c6cdd508fa90e4a61b6a0eb14d578aa.png

Not a big deal really but it would have been nice to be asked first.

Interesting. That site has technically credited you, and mentioned where they got the image. But of course, giving you credit is not the same as giving you a cut of the $35 they hope to make by selling a print of that pic.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:00 AM, Kodiak Island Modeler said:

I've noticed several photos that I'd displayed on the forum are showing up for sale on the internet.   Is there some policy that I've missed, or is somebody hacking pictures that we display?   I just want to make sure that I didn't miss some rule here before I proceed to discover who and why my photos are being sold without my knowledge.   I also want to make others aware that their photos could also be on the market.

I misread the original post. I thought you were saying that your Picture of something (in this case your model), was being posted for sale by someone else on the internet. Then seeing your post of the, For Sale Ad. It's a scam ad for your diorama being for sale. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This scam has been around for a while. I remember reading that pictures for full size cars were being harvested and recycled to scam people.

Also by giving the pictures credit to you meant you were going to get blamed for not selling the diorama.  

I suppose if anybody is really worried about this kind of thing, you probably shouldn't be posting photos anywhere on the net.

Personally, I know that once it's out there, it's out there forever, and I can't control what anyone else does with it, and in all honesty, I don't really care.

I've had photos of some of my models show up in magazines with no prior authorization, and without my knowledge, and the magazine is making money off of those photos, but somehow I get the feeling that none of us have an issue with that.

At least I know it doesn't bother me, except for the fact that it would be nice to know when one of your projects is chosen to be used in a mag. :)

Pictures are just pictures, and I made the decision to share them, so if it bugs me if some goof wants to use them for whatever nefarious purpose, it's completely out of my hands.

I have many more important things to worry about in my life.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 3

not quite the same but similar...

About 3 years ago, I posted a Danbury Mint Cadillac that I reviewed for a magazine for sale on Ebay.  I included the review in the auction write-up to include my name.

A week after that sold (for $900+, mind you), a friend notified me that someone had in fact copied my auction "word for word" including my name, pictures and all in a separate auction with the only difference being the state he was located in and his user info.

I contacted Ebay and they took the auction down and kicked that user off ebay.  Sucked for him as 3 days into a week long auction, it was already at $600+  That user had a repetitive habit of doing that with other auctions, in some cases never sending anything out.

That was the last time I posted anything on Ebay

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody so far has mentioned that any picture taken by a particular person owns the copyright to the picture they took ad infinitum. So copying it and selling the picture without consent is an infringement on that copyright and an offence.

• Like 1

if you have posted your pics on a public forum without using a third party host theres nothing you can do about breach of copywrite. the terms we agree to when we join the forums mostly say your pics can be used by them which you have agreed to by clicking accept terms. almost every site has this in their terms as otherwise they would be liable for any copywrite breaches. even if you have copywrite on a pic, but you then post it on facebook, it goes down in the copywrite rating to a creative commons licence which means anybody can use it as you posted it publicly. the only way to really protect your copywrite is to never post any pics anywhere online. do you think shutterstock and their like really own the right to all those pics they host?

• Like 1

It's one thing allowing pictures that are your copyright to be used and shared on forums like this according to the terms and conditions. The copyright as far as I can see always will belong to the creator unless he or she sells the copyright. Terms and conditions of websites normally state that they are permitted to be able to use the pictures how they see fit but without it being an outright copyright grab.

But does it cross the line legally when someone simply copies your pictures from a website and then attempts to sell a creator's work on for financial gain without either the website it was copied from or the photographer's knowledge or permission?

I agree that this is a real problem because it is so simple to download pictures that it can be like the Wild West when unscrupulous individuals start using them to sell on for gain. Almost impossible to police unfortunately. To be fair, I guess that most of us have downloaded pictures purely for personal reference and there is nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I think the point is being missed. This does not seem to be the pictures being sold I think it's a scam to make people think the diorama is for sale and they will be sorely disappointed. 

Then where do you figure the "choose size" in the listing comes in?

Pretty obvious that would refer to a photographic print...at least the way my brain works.

• Like 1

Bob, I think it is you have missed the point.

Please refer to the first sentence in the very first post of this thread that Douglas put up. Douglas is clearly stating that he has seen his pictures being sold on the internet.

Edited by Bugatti Fan