Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Monte Carlo restoration project

Scooter757

What started as a White 70 Monte Carlo SS project and when the paint was messed up and stripped I couldn’t get the body fully clean to repaint it so the restoration project began. Added a vinyl top, opened the trunk and doors, the passenger door was beyond repair so added a new one and yet to install the interior door panel. Well worn seats and dirty seatbelts along with a headliner that has seen better days. The engine could use a good cleaning also.

IMG_6608.jpeg

IMG_6609.jpeg

IMG_6610.jpeg

IMG_6607.jpeg

IMG_6604.jpeg

IMG_6603.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg

IMG_6601.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

IMG_0487.jpeg

• Like 9

Now that is an awesome comparison. About the only thing restorable on that original car is the driver's door handle and the VIN plate. The 'restored' version is a beautiful piece of work.

• Like 1

Thes two should always be displayed together. Thay are both great at representing a real car in different conditions. The rust bucket looks like it might be beyond the point of restoring, and the white one looks freshly redone.  Both are well detailed but in different ways. Shows a great range of thought and ability. 

• Like 1

Wow, in the real world this doesn't take any talent to make. In kit world it takes a whole lot more to get it where you can basically pick the whole car apart with your fingers. Great job!B)

• Like 1

Wow Scott, both are very nice builds. The “junker” though is over the top. Lots of great details, the peeling vinyl top, ripped seats, excellent rust effects, my favourite tho, is the hole in the muffler! That’s the first time I’ve seen that done, love it! I’ll be borrowing that for future use. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

So much detail!!  With the outstanding job you did on the weathering you almost overlook all the work that went into opening the doors and trunk, adding the interior door panel and detail under the trunk lid.  That alone looks great.  Then the weathering just takes it up several notches.  I especially like the work on the vinyl top and seats.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 4:34 PM, yellowsportwagon said:

This is awesome. Shoulda added some Flintstone floorboards!!

My thought also....... The floors held up pretty well considering the rest!

Great builds!

• Like 1

That's among the best weathering jobs I've ever seen. That vinyl looks as if it's been bleached in the sun for decades. 

The white/red one is also quite special. Especially with my fondness for the first generation Monte Carlo. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 6:32 PM, bbowser said:

Wow!  I owned a 1:1 '71 and you are spot-on with the weathering.  Outstanding work on both.

I grew up in Michigan and had a lot of references on rusted cars