Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 April 2024

I'll need one of those Pontiacs! I built Arnie Beswick's '62 Catalina when that kit came out, what is it, probably like 10 years ago (does time really fly that fast??). It was such a fun build that I really need to do another one. And, there are never too many early '60s Super Stock cars.:P

I'm not sure about the mid engine in the Boss Nova kit. I have one on my stash that is waiting to be built, it'll be converted back to more stock appearance some day. Why? Well, I bought it way before Round 2 re-released the stock Wagon and the originals were way more expensive so the Boss Nova was the way to go. Yes, nowadays it would make no sense to convert that thing back to stock-ish, but that's what I bought it for. So, with that said, I'll probably end up not buying the new Boss Nova kit, even though it would have lots of useable parts for kitbashing.

11 hours ago, W-409 said:

I'll need one of those Pontiacs! I built Arnie Beswick's '62 Catalina when that kit came out, what is it, probably like 10 years ago (does time really fly that fast??). It was such a fun build that I really need to do another one. And, there are never too many early '60s Super Stock cars.:P

Even faster, that kit came out 14 years ago. :lol:

• Haha 1

I hate to "Super Sports Grip" the box art for the 62 Pontiac (Super Sports Grip refers to the first time I watched "The Notebook" with my then future wife, and I pointed out the Super Sports Grip steering wheel cover on the the Hudson Allie drove up in, to see Noah, shortly after World War II). Obviously, those didn't exist yet. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time bolting those 5 lug reversed wheels onto an 8 Lug Pontiac rear axle.

15 hours ago, W-409 said:

I'm not sure about the mid engine in the Boss Nova kit. I have one on my stash that is waiting to be built, it'll be converted back to more stock appearance some day. Why? Well, I bought it way before Round 2 re-released the stock Wagon and the originals were way more expensive so the Boss Nova was the way to go. Yes, nowadays it would make no sense to convert that thing back to stock-ish, but that's what I bought it for. So, with that said, I'll probably end up not buying the new Boss Nova kit, even though it would have lots of useable parts for kitbashing.

I’m right there with you . The boss nova will make a good parts kit and I need the Pontiac for the box art that light weight grill and those 8 lug wheels. I’ve been really hoping a 63 Bonnieville complete with royal decals 

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time bolting those 5 lug reversed wheels onto an 8 Lug Pontiac rear axle.

Not if you switched the axle shafts and brake drums.  Both 5 and 8 lug setups were stock, thus legal for Stock classes.

The Grand Prix grille inserts were legal too, they fell under "mild customizing" which was allowed under the rules also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time bolting those 5 lug reversed wheels onto an 8 Lug Pontiac rear axle.

It's a 1/25 Model Car....

It's easy to forget that sometimes.....

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mark said:

Not if you switched the axle shafts and brake drums.  Both 5 and 8 lug setups were stock, thus legal for Stock classes.

The Grand Prix grille inserts were legal too, they fell under "mild customizing" which was allowed under the rules also.

Absolutely possible, but probably rarely done. That said, the GP grille inserts (and 8 lug wheels) are very welcome additions.

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I have owned a few 8-lug Pontiacs over the years and switching back and forth between standard brake drums and 8-lugs was and easy job and did not require anything with the axle. In the front is was the same as replacing a front hub/drum assembly and in the rear it was just 5 lug nuts (the rear drums just bolted to the axle and those lug nuts were hidden under the center cap).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carmak said:

I have owned a few 8-lug Pontiacs over the years and switching back and forth between standard brake drums and 8-lugs was and easy job and did not require anything with the axle. In the front is was the same as replacing a front hub/drum assembly and in the rear it was just 5 lug nuts (the rear drums just bolted to the axle and those lug nuts were hidden under the center cap).

Always great to learn from those with grease and brake dust on their hands and overall, how the mechanical bits work and interchange.

Edited by Luc Janssens

1 hour ago, Carmak said:

Exactly right and there's photos of the "Tin Indian" running with all four 8 lug wheels on it and others where there is only two.  Note that new wheels have the correct front and rear hub details if the caps are left off. 

-Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

^^^ You and me both. I did get a set of original issue '62 Grand Prix grille/headlight units (they were custom parts in the first issue Bonneville hardtop) for my mild custom Catalina project, but these should have clear headlight lenses and fit better.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

23 hours ago, SteveG said:

Exactly right and there's photos of the "Tin Indian" running with all four 8 lug wheels on it and others where there is only two.  Note that new wheels have the correct front and rear hub details if the caps are left off. 

-Steve

Well I stand somewhat corrected. 5 lug wheels on the rear appear to be a brake drum switch away. Being more of a Ford guy, that is a new one on me.

image.png.5056be891948b902c72a7cc0c639ec52.png

https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/2019/11/29/a-1960s-classic-the-pontiac-8-lug-wheel/

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 2