Model Cars Magazine Forum

Posted (edited)

After a few complicated builds I was in need of some OOB therapy. Looking through the stash I found a pair of Porsche curbside kits and decided to build them both side by side.

The 934 is a Tamiya and practically built itself. It is that good, perfect fits, no flash, small part count put somehow detail rich. I only added tire decals not present on the very good kit decal sheet.

The 935 is a Italeri release of the 935 baby but really the 935/77 factory race cars with a nose cooler which the Baby did not have. The kit is a re-pop of the period Nitto kit also later released under Entex and then AMT brands. All the same tooling and as basic as it gets but the body appears to be a reasonably accurate representation of the car. I only added some mesh screening over coolers and brass tubes for the waste gate blowout. Kit decals are good except for the Martini side stripes not really fitting the body shape.

Porsche 9345 1.jpg

Porsche 9345 2.jpg

Porsche 9345 3.jpg

Porsche 9345 4.jpg

Porsche 9345 5.jpg

Porsche 9345 6.jpg

Porsche 9345 7.jpg

Porsche 9345 8.jpg

Porsche 9345 9.jpg

Porsche 9345 10.jpg

Porsche 9345 11.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 13

Beautiful Porsches.  Very well done. 

I have the Tamiya Jägermeister 934 in the stash.  Seeing this might make it next on the bench.  I picked up some Dunlop tire decals as well.

They look really good Pierre.

The last OOB I built was a resin 917LH but I even mildly altered the nose intake on that!!

I do however have some plastics in my cupboard downstairs, who knows, one day I might even build them.

Dave B

17 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful Porsches.  Very well done. 

I have the Tamiya Jägermeister 934 in the stash.  Seeing this might make it next on the bench.  I picked up some Dunlop tire decals as well.

Thanks Jim. The Tamiya 934 is beautifully engineered. I found the only hard part was painting of all the black trim pieces molded into the body. Other than that it builds very smoothly.

17 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Pierre...nothing quite like a couple of quick builds to keep your enthusiasm up for finishing projects.  Both of those turned out very well.  Now that you are stoked we can't wait to see what you finish next.

I'm ready Rich. Got my next build lined up, an oldie kit of a classic... with a metal body...

14 hours ago, Dave B said:

They look really good Pierre.

The last OOB I built was a resin 917LH but I even mildly altered the nose intake on that!!

I do however have some plastics in my cupboard downstairs, who knows, one day I might even build them.

Dave B

The great David Bantoft does not do OOB. Who are you? 😄

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

2 very cool Porsche's and great job Pierre👍

Thanks Mike

6 hours ago, Chinacar said:

Top shelf work this. Awesome

Thank you sir.

50 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

A beautiful pair of Porsche Pierre !

Did you need to lower the 934 at all ?

Some finessing required to get the 935 front end right but absolutely no adjustments needed of the Tamiya 934. Perfect stance right out of the box. Never happened before...

Very good looking Porsches, Pierre - good idea to build some simpler kits after these exhausting SWB/SLR work !

I'm looking forward to your XK-120 (I have it in my stash too, but the full plastic version - no die-cast body)

58 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

I've seen versions of the Tamiya 934 that sat too high out of the box.You were lucky.

You might have confused this with the Revell AG version which has too much ground clearance (Jägermeister and/or Vaillant version) ...

On 5/23/2024 at 10:36 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thank you Chris for stopping by and providing support. Much appreciated.

On 5/23/2024 at 12:36 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Very good looking Porsches, Pierre - good idea to build some simpler kits after these exhausting SWB/SLR work !

I'm looking forward to your XK-120 (I have it in my stash too, but the full plastic version - no die-cast body)

I am now refreshed and ready to go. It fails me why the XK-120 has a metal body but it provides a new challenge. 

On 5/23/2024 at 3:52 PM, Gramps46 said:

Very well done indeed.  Thanks for sharing and offering up some inspiration.

Thank you Gary. Starting work on a racing XK-120, so start digging into your database for information. Do I go for a specific car or a fictional one?

14 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

I've seen versions of the Tamiya 934 that sat too high out of the box.You were lucky.

So have I Tony, but I don't think it is luck as I always test fit for ride height and wheelbase (a pet peeve of mine is ride height) and this kit is so precisely engineered. The ones that ride high are because the chassis is not properly engaged into the locating notches inside the body.

Pierre

I chose to build NUB 120 when the kit was released ages ago.  I thought it was a great kit except for getting the hood/bonnet to fit correctly.  Let me know when you decide which one you want to build.

Jag_XK120_1950_17_001.jpg.4d396bb66fc50b223a55644a1b33fcdb.jpg

Jag_XK120_1950_17_002.jpg.a2038cf4180da812761c494b5c1292b1.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 9:38 AM, Nacho Z said:

I’m a big fan of your work, Pierre!  Work like these two are the reason why!  Really, really nice job on both.

Thank you so much John. Pretty easy stuff compared to your elaborate builds but I am happy with the result. Looking for more updates on your Matra...and the R8 Gordini?

On 5/25/2024 at 11:05 AM, TonyK said:

A couple of good looking historic cars. They both look great!

Thank you Tony. Can't go wrong with Jaegermeister and Martini liveries. Classics they are.

Porsche 934, Porsche 935... let me guess what's next? 😁

Pierre, these are beautiful builds from your capable hands, very nice!

As regards the origin and correctness of this kit (as a 935 Baby), there were some conclusions made (not by myself) on a British forum as follows:

The genesis of this kit is more complicated. I hope I got it right in this summary:

Nitto as a regular 935-77, probably 1978, three issues. Nitto went under in 1985

Esci-Ertl as a 935 Baby, 1985 issue or later

AMT-Ertl as a regular 935-77, 1991 and 1998 issues

Italeri as a 935J, 2007 issue

Italeri as a 935 Baby, 2020 issue

I think this is the most travelled 935 model! As mentioned, it lacks a number of Baby features, so I condider it a 935-77.

On 5/27/2024 at 10:34 PM, slusher said:

Two beautiful Porsches!

Thank you Carl

On 5/28/2024 at 10:33 AM, Tommy124 said:

Porsche 934, Porsche 935... let me guess what's next? 😁

Pierre, these are beautiful builds from your capable hands, very nice!

As regards the origin and correctness of this kit (as a 935 Baby), there were some conclusions made (not by myself) on a British forum as follows:

Thanks Thomas. I came to the same conclusions, very old kit representing the 935/77 (not the baby). Interesting contrast building it in parallel to the Tamiya 934 released in 2013.