Model Cars Magazine Forum

Matra MS 670 1972 Lemans Winner

Here is a project that was well underway before the big move.  Fisher resin Matra MS 670 driven to victory at the 1972 Lemans by Henri Pescarolo and Graham Hill. This win made Graham Hill the only driver to ever win the Indy 500, Lemans, Monaco and become World Champion. Quite a feat.  Car is painted Tamiya TS44 blue, TS26 white and Testors 1124 green with a little yellow added. Some extra details included steering wheels, seatbelts, aluminium tube exhaust , gear shift, mirror strut.  Avery nice kit to work with. See captions for extra information. Thanks and comments always welcome.

DSC08303.JPG.43559e515943f6092b12e48ebf1133ad.JPG

Nice bright sunlight takes a good picture. Background is my Watkins Glen bleachers. Car sits low and mean

DSC08304.JPG.5e171d9cf28e5ec4d5eb54f55195081f.JPG

Rear veiw shows just enough engine and suspension But I still added some details. 

DSC08305.JPG.08636ea48b7d5c866ad279b5b633fb71.JPG

Decals in this kit wer an absolute joy even though they were almost 30yrs old. White stripe is vinyl tape.

DSC08306.JPG.763f2793b6886afab9677d1c401d3a0e.JPG

If you were driving at Lemans in 1972 this is not what you  wanted to see in your rear view mirror. They were fast and loud and came in 1-2. I have heard a Matra V-12 at full song (in   an  F-1 car) It would hurt your ears at 50 yards. 

DSC08307.JPG.9ff9507c154a9b9713278d860bab9aca.JPG

Best shot of the interior I could get. Not much detail but still worthy of a picture. 

• Like 11

I have a soft spot for Matras.  I have been working on a MS-11 F1 for far too long.  In my research I have learned a lot about Matra.  Your 670 is gorgeous!!  As always, Rich, fantastic job!

1 hour ago, Nacho Z said:

I have a soft spot for Matras.  I have been working on a MS-11 F1 for far too long.  In my research I have learned a lot about Matra.  Your 670 is gorgeous!!  As always, Rich, fantastic job!

I know you do John...been following that WIP and it has been fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished. 

59 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Great build.....Paul Fisher made some great kits. I really miss his stuff.

I know he did Mike...this is my 14th Fisher completion. Miss him too. 

41 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Great looking car.  Really well done.

As always...thanks Jim.

Great build Rich and it's great to see your trademark front wheels turned!!

I loved building mine and I was lucky enough to hear a pair of the sports cars at full noise at Phillip Island Historics a few years back and managed to take plenty of pics to help my build.

My mate took a video on the main strait, it's on YouTube and worth a watch.

Dave B

9 hours ago, Dave B said:

Great build Rich and it's great to see your trademark front wheels turned!!

I loved building mine and I was lucky enough to hear a pair of the sports cars at full noise at Phillip Island Historics a few years back and managed to take plenty of pics to help my build.

My mate took a video on the main strait, it's on YouTube and worth a watch.

Dave B

Checked it out Dave,  it was worth it.  Philip Island Historics had a lot of great cars and vintage action. You are fortunate.  Thanks for the compliments and suggestion

7 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Great build of this famous Le Mans winner, Rich !

I'm very sorry for Paul Fisher but at least I have some of his models still unbuilt in my stash.

Thank you Helmut.  You should build one, For a resin kit they are a joy to build. 

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Every time I see your presentation of a Fisher build it is pure delight. The subjects are wonderful and the way you build them is always an homage to a great kit fabricator. Wonderful build of a wonderful car. 

Pierre...always a pleasure to get a comment from you. Much appreciated. 

7 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Looks super.  I built one and comparing it to your photos I see I have lost the rear frame tubes.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Gary...I save the instructions...can make you another...it was easy peazy.

6 hours ago, TonyK said:

Always liked this odd looking car. The colors made it look nice. Very nice job on the model!

Thank you Tony...got one more to do...the 1968 version. 

Interesting (at least to me) tidbit on the real car. The roundels on the sides were the raw, unpainted fiberglass of the body. They put lights inside to light them up during the night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

Interesting (at least to me) tidbit on the real car. The roundels on the sides were the raw, unpainted fiberglass of the body. They put lights inside to light them up during the night.

Thanks for the interesting tidbit Mike.  I was kinda wondering why the side roundels had a yellowish tint to them. 

Beautiful Matra, well done, Rich! 

At least over here, it is very hard to get your hands on a Fisher kit at a reasonable price anymore. I'm happy I managed to grab one Ferrari 512M though not so long ago... 

As far as Matras are concerned, I didn't even know Fisher did make one. Fortunately, several types of iconic Matras are available here by manufacturers like Le Mans Miniatures and Profil24.

They all look great: https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=matra&fkCOMPNAME[]="Le Mans Miniatures"&fkCOMPNAME[]="Profil 24"&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00024"

13 hours ago, slusher said:

Super nice!

Thank you  Carl.

2 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Beautiful Matra, well done, Rich! 

At least over here, it is very hard to get your hands on a Fisher kit at a reasonable price anymore. I'm happy I managed to grab one Ferrari 512M though not so long ago... 

As far as Matras are concerned, I didn't even know Fisher did make one. Fortunately, several types of iconic Matras are available here by manufacturers like Le Mans Miniatures and Profil24.

They all look great: https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=matra&fkCOMPNAME[]="Le Mans Miniatures"&fkCOMPNAME[]="Profil 24"&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00024"

Thank you Thomas.   I have the 68 LeMans Minatures Matra waiting to be done. Its the one with the Henri Pescarolo figure sitting on the sill. I see they have a full line of LeMans Matra's but no 1972.  Here's a link for a Fisher kit currently on Ebay right now. It's less decals but I am sure LeMans Decals has a set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166783302772?itmmeta=01HYZZQNA1TEAYR2ANWAQHHGXH&hash=item26d50f3c74:g:-poAAOSwfEJmUOGN&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4ENOhvrMCAfLk6