Model Cars Magazine Forum

Okay! Us VW folks can't WAIT for this!!

I was nosin' around on the 'net and came across THIS on Revell-Germany's website!

Samba_11.jpg

Samba_13.jpg

It looks like a test shot of the new VW bus with the option of a folded or closed canvas roof! I've got to get one of these-------don't ask me why, but I can still remember being taken to and from preschool in one of these in the early-mid '60's.

Must've been those neat roof windows I remember! This is definitely a must have on my list!

Click here to check out of RoG's other interesting stuff they have coming out! ;) There's a full gallery of test shot pics of the bus.......... :o

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy karumba!!!!!!! That looks spectacular! .. 2 bumper styles. interior panels all around, under dash tray, grab bars on seat backs, folding middle seats, open doors and rear, ENGINE! and I see what looks like the back edge of the driver's overhead controls panel!! Totally amazing detail!

Too bad it's still got the late big round turn signal lights in front and newer tail lights like all the other buses, but that's minor. The 56 I'm modeling had to steal some Karman Gia front lights and scratch building the rears.

Bill, I have this kit from back around 67 or so. I never built it cas I never liked it! Originally it was molded in ORANGE! My sister bought it for me for my birthday. 14th or 15th if I remember correctly. It was then converted to the solid sides van(no windows), an then to the little hippie van with flared rear wells. It was 1/25th scale, is it still? I would imagine it's a whole new mold, as the original must been modded to make the other stylles. I'll hafta dig the old one out and compare them. :o;)

George, this looks as though it's all new tooling. I remember the kit you had.............it was a bit crude for its time, and I don't remember it having as much detail as this one.

I do believe this is 1/25 scale.

I'm not much into Aussie cars (at least most of their current stuff is still RWD :o), but I like that Commodore!

Looking at the Commodore's hinges though, I suspect this may end up being a 1/18 diecast--------I hope I'm wrong as I wouldn't mind this in my collection.

Edited by MrObsessive

Yup, like Bill, I was under the impression the Commodore was a pattern for diecast - the chassis screws give the game away - but I'll definitely be interested if it's plastic.

Was anybody else amused by the pains Revell AG went to in distinguishing their new Trabant from their old one?

And yup, that van looks GREAT - wasn't there a '60's-vintage Revell USA kit with opening everything? Somehow, that test shot doesn't quite look like it to me...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Was anybody else amused by the pains Revell AG went to in distinguishing their new Trabant from their old one?

Wha!? I never knew there was an "old" Revell Trabant! I do plan on getting one of the "new" ones, though. Don't know why it is, but I love those dull-looking, poorly-built Soviet poo-boxes.

Edited by Chuck Most

I was impressed by the detail in the Trabant. This has many build possibilities and all thankfully will disrespect the Trabant!! :lol:

Another point, though the Commodore block looks long for a 4, but THREE new 4 bangers or 3 and a straight six! Either way, I'm sure the new engines alone will find many new homes. :)

Of all the Type 2's they could kit...yet another new tool of a kit that's been done twice before, once by Revell itself. To add insult to injury, I bought a Franklin Mint van like this...I think it's my favorite FM model ever. The fabric roof really works.

I surely hope that Revell offers more variants later...singlecab PU, or doublecab, Kombi...stuff that Hasegawa hasn't already done. In my longterm "inbox" I'm making a resin singlecab (AAM model) into a rat PU, and was given some Hasegawa sides that are better than the resin.

The Trabant is kind of cool, and the original kit is very hard to find and kind of crappy. Just like the real car!

I really want a model of a VW Thing.

Bob, doesn't one of the armor companys make a Kubel wagen or something like that? Maybe one could be converted to a "Thing". They were nuttin but flat panels anyway, might not be too hard a conversion. I think you could pull it off, with your talent. Give it a shot, I think you'd get alot of"OOOOOh, THAT'S COOL" outta it. :)

Yeah, I've got the Franklin Mint '62 Bus also...............but it got damaged years ago when my one cat knocked it on the floor bending the rear pillars! :o

I want SOMEONE to do this!.........................

A 1962-69 Karmann Ghia Type 3 :blink:

5bfc_3-vi.jpg

5572_3-vi.jpg

5473_3-vi.jpg

The designers must've had the '60 Corvair coupe in mind, as it looks a LOT like one. Come on ROG-------this should be right up your alley! :D

Edited by MrObsessive

Great news Bill, as you know, I am a big VW fan and yes, I said I was not buying any more models but that goes out the window with this one. Probably will get 5 or 6, not kidding!! :o:blink: The Opel also looks cool, reminds me of the old RX3 Mazda of the 70's, I will be getting some of those too......

My family had a Bug when I was really little (it got wrecked when I was about 3), and later a '72 Bus and '76 Rabbit so I have a soft spot for VWs.

So from what is shown, how does this compare with the Hasegawa VW van and truck kits?

I can't read German, does anyone know what scale that military VW is going to be in? I'm guessing 1/35 but I don't see anything that shows the scale.

Edited by Aaronw

Come on Bill, scratchbuild one!!!!

I had one of each VW from 54 thru 72.

Had quite a few Ghias, couple of Squarebacks (one Baja lifted w/33's in the back)

Few Vans also.

I have a note to Revell, see what's up with the kit.

Stay tuned...

Come on Bill, scratchbuild one!!!!

I had one of each VW from 54 thru 72.

Had quite a few Ghias, couple of Squarebacks (one Baja lifted w/33's in the back)

Few Vans also.

I have a note to Revell, see what's up with the kit.

Stay tuned...

I do have a beat up '64 Corvair coupe that could serve as a good base for that Karmann Ghia Type 3. On the other hand it's begging to be restored as is--------so if I can find another (at a reeeall cheap price) I might consider it.

I've only ever seen one or two here in the states.............VW never exported that model here, so the couple that I've seen were definitely gray market cars.

Yeah, I have a Hasegawa in the paint booth that got turned into a Kombi to match my Dad's old '56. The lack of much of an interior is a big disappointment for an other wise great kit. The interior is what gets me excited about this one. I have to repaint the stripe I did on the interior to give some semblance to an interior. Maybe I'll wait and see....

56VWKombi_Mockup_DSC9662.jpg

What excites me even more is it looks like the front VW emblem is molded separate! The Hasegawa is molded with the body and is very difficult to mask and paint.

Edited by Foxer

oohhhhh i want a type 3 ghia! i believe they may have been brought into california at one time because its still not all that unusual to see them around here. i currently know where a seemingly pristine, cal-rodded example is and another in more "normal" shape...so if you need photos or measurements i might be able to help. one price: a resin body!

btw a "the thing" and a kubelwagen have very little in common. pretty much nothing in common other than the general look of the pressed metal panels.

look at them side by side sometime. i owned a the thing for 20 years and my buddy a kubelwagen for a good portion of that time.

Edited by jbwelda

http://www.vwtypethree.com/myvws/index.html

The link shows what a type three is, the square, slantback and notch.

Those Ghias are called Type 34s actually. They are my favorite VW, along with the Type 3 Notch, and I'm with Bill on this one. It should be kitted. There are about four Type 34s in the area in which I live and one is a full blown drag car. I saw a beautiful Type 3 notch yesterday at the Volksbraten show yesterday in Sheboygan.