Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 hours ago, espo said:

I drove a Tanker Truck for Union Oil Company for a while around 1970. The Tanks were Aluminum and unpainted and the rig had Aluminum Wheels. The rear of the trailer tanks had a slight convex curve to it. First I started polishing the Wheels when I had a little down time and I like how that looks anyway. I got in trouble with the Highway Patrol after I started polishing the back side of the Tanks. I wasn't the only one doing this and I had noticed on the road looking at other trucks that it was like driving toward a mirror. Well it was a bright shinny day and I guess the sun reflected off the rear of the tank and the reflection hit the State Trooper in the eyes. He didn't sight me but said I was to let the Aluminum oxidize and return to a dull finish.  To this day I still appreciate seeing someone who looks after their rig. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

I drove a Tanker Truck for Union Oil Company for a while around 1970. The Tanks were Aluminum and unpainted and the rig had Aluminum Wheels. The rear of the trailer tanks had a slight convex curve to it. First I started polishing the Wheels when I had a little down time and I like how that looks anyway. I got in trouble with the Highway Patrol after I started polishing the back side of the Tanks. I wasn't the only one doing this and I had noticed on the road looking at other trucks that it was like driving toward a mirror. Well it was a bright shinny day and I guess the sun reflected off the rear of the tank and the reflection hit the State Trooper in the eyes. He didn't sight me but said I was to let the Aluminum oxidize and return to a dull finish.  To this day I still appreciate seeing someone who looks after their rig. 

Amazing anecdote David , i have polished the fuel tank too , but i haven’t yet troubles with state troopers ?? !! Do you have pics of your truck , i like very much american trucks of this period, according to me, it’s the golden age  of the beautiful big rigs.

On 4/14/2020 at 6:47 PM, restoman said:

Dragged this out into the sunlight on the weekend...

The 24 year old paint is needing some attention, and has a few rust bubbles popping out around the rear window, so it's due for some attention this year.

I daily drove this bug through the months betwixt snow seasons for 6 or 7 years. Most fun car I've ever owned. Slowest, too. ;)

Don't think we've put more than a couple hundred miles on it in the last 10 years.

daily driver.jpg

Makes me miss my 71 Super Beetle. 

1 hour ago, grodudulle77 said:

Amazing anecdote David , i have polished the fuel tank too , but i haven’t yet troubles with state troopers ?? !! Do you have pics of your truck , i like very much american trucks of this period, according to me, it’s the golden age  of the beautiful big rigs.

I really wish I had. I was in my mid twenties and it just didn't seem important at the time and wasn't as common a thing to do as today, now we're texting each other pictures of what they had for lunch. At that time the company was going thru a color change on their rolling stock. The colors when I started were a medium blue that was prone to oxidizing and turning a lighter blue. The new colors that they started repainting the rigs really looked good. The Cabs were painted an Orange to match their trademark Union 76 ball that was part of their advertising. The chassis was a color they called Bayberry and was sort of a beige color with a hint of yellow. The Tanks were untreated Aluminum and the Wheels were polished Aluminum along with the big flat front Bumpers. Now I'm starting to wish I had some pictures, they did look good when clean. I just went back into box I keep all of my old drivers licenses in. I have the Safe Driver Award from Union 76 for 1 year dated 12/31/68 and my International Brotherhood of Teamsters card. So you can see this was some time ago and in fact longer than I thought. Time flies when your having fun.    

Edited by espo
additional information

12 hours ago, espo said:

I really wish I had. I was in my mid twenties and it just didn't seem important at the time and wasn't as common a thing to do as today, now we're texting each other pictures of what they had for lunch. At that time the company was going thru a color change on their rolling stock. The colors when I started were a medium blue that was prone to oxidizing and turning a lighter blue. The new colors that they started repainting the rigs really looked good. The Cabs were painted an Orange to match their trademark Union 76 ball that was part of their advertising. The chassis was a color they called Bayberry and was sort of a beige color with a hint of yellow. The Tanks were untreated Aluminum and the Wheels were polished Aluminum along with the big flat front Bumpers. Now I'm starting to wish I had some pictures, they did look good when clean. I just went back into box I keep all of my old drivers licenses in. I have the Safe Driver Award from Union 76 for 1 year dated 12/31/68 and my International Brotherhood of Teamsters card. So you can see this was some time ago and in fact longer than I thought. Time flies when your having fun.    

I agree with you David, nowadays, take photos is much more easier and common than seventies period . From what you tell me, your rig must have looked great. Can you inform me on a technical element concerning tanks trailers at that time i have a kit of this kind of trailer and i wonder how do you empty  the tank . Is there a pump, is there an autonomous pump on the trailer or there’s a pump on the truck that works with the truck engine ?           Philippe.

2A35AC10-A028-49A8-83F8-8FF451FA7EA4.jpeg

11 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

I agree with you David, nowadays, take photos is much more easier and common than seventies period . From what you tell me, your rig must have looked great. Can you inform me on a technical element concerning tanks trailers at that time i have a kit of this kind of trailer and i wonder how do you empty  the tank . Is there a pump, is there an autonomous pump on the trailer or there’s a pump on the truck that works with the truck engine ?           Philippe.

2A35AC10-A028-49A8-83F8-8FF451FA7EA4.jpeg

The trailer was about 10 or 15 feet shorter and had a front set of duels and a tong was used to attach to Tanker Truck pulling it. Other than that the picture on the box is configured in the same manor. You can see what I meant about the refection by looking at the picture also.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As of two days ago, I'm driving a 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT. Bought a GM certified lease return with only 14,000 miles on it. Seems to have been driven little and well taken care of. And still under warranty.

The old dependable Buick LeSabre still is running great. But, it's now 20 years old and starting to rust. If it wasn't for the rust, I really would not have considered looking for a newer car. I'm going to miss the old girl. But, at the same time I'm so amazed by all the new features the Cruze has, that I'm not sure I'll miss her for too long. 

• 2 weeks later...

My current cars, had most of the older ones for a few years now but there is a recent addition:

IMG_1905edit.jpg.0632ff11a43a072cf8e9dae035dea794.jpg

1992 LS400 purchased on Saturday, I left my number with the owner back in 2013 and I was very pleased to finally get a call from him. I had a slightly newer LS400 a few years ago, they're fantastic things. A lot here get banger raced, I want to try and keep this one from that fate for as long as I can but parts supply/expense is going to become an issue and it may become difficult to keep going. The 2014 RX450h is my daily/family transport, although I try and use the older cars more at this time of year. Definitely a day for the LS today!

33530264148_830416db16_b.jpg

1993 Toyota Camry 2.2 Estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

My tatty workhorse. Had this since 2011, in 2013 it got written-off after being driven into by an Audi A4, hence the different colour tailgate I had spare from another one I used to own. Just a 2.2 manual but it drives really nicely. I have another Camry for spares and at one time I owned five different examples (yes, all at the same time).

49794693516_68c57da9a1_b.jpg

Sunny Sunday and Cherry Blossom by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

26506184070_13caaaed6b_b.jpg

Datsuns on the prom by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The older half of my fleet. 1980 Laurel is a 2.4 manual, a nice old cruiser I've had since 2008. The 1973 1200 is a super-basic model with no carpets, radio, cigarette lighter, clock etc, owned by one old lady from new until I got it in 2015. One day it will need a lot of work to deal with the rust, for now I just sympathetically use it locally, it's fun on the country roads. The 1988 Sunny is a low mileage car again owned by one older driver from new, I left a note on it one day, he rang me back that afternoon and it was on my driveway a few days later.

On 4/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, Adecoste said:

Just took my Celica out for its first drive of the year, worked great! 

20200414_141025.jpg

Hey, you stole the idea of what I wanted to build at 1:24 ? That looks great.

Really enjoying looking back through this topic and seeing the variety of stuff owned by members on here. It would be unfair to pick out any favourites!

25 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

My current cars, had most of the older ones for a few years now but there is a recent addition:

IMG_1905edit.jpg.0632ff11a43a072cf8e9dae035dea794.jpg

Make friends with the banger racers if you can, i've found most are happy to swap parts with folk to keep cars on the road and especially body panels. If they have a good panel and yours is rusty they will usually be happy to swap since they know they will be destroying them anyway

I had a 2016 VW GTI before this but the FWD spun tires every time I pulled out and it was only marginal getting up my drivewaw in snow. The big thing was my wife refused to ride in it because of the harsh suspension.

I finally got this VW Golf R after the local dealer found one above his VW allotted 2, having to trade two Tiguans for it!  This has been a dream for me. The all wheel drive handles my steep driveway well and the 294 HP tiny 2-litter pulls the car well.

The most amazing thing is the active struts ... they smooth everything rough and handle better than the GTI by far. What's most amazing is the car rides better than the GTI to the extent that my wife likes (!) the ride!

I've had 5 Porsches, a Triumph TR4A and this one beats them all!

2019 Golf R DSC3246

Edited by Foxer

On 4/15/2020 at 1:04 AM, Tom Geiger said:

33C455F1-7666-4E10-B6FB-78199777F4AC.jpeg.a81d437ec85e118a11d8c2754f88ddb6.jpeg

1991 Geo Tracker 4x4 convertible, bought it new. Still tucked away in garage.

62B064F7-0551-4E74-BDD7-BCC9BA76CB13.jpeg.673e2f09655f36f19820be02e1010d38.jpeg

2006 PT Cruiser Turbo GT convertible. Had it running this week, next warm day I’ll drop the top and go for a ride!

I never actually knew that they made a PT Cruiser convertible until I went to pick mine up from the dealership,  they'd just put one in the showroom,  one day I'll get one to keep mine company, sadly we never got the turbo models in right hand drive. 

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

I never actually knew that they made a PT Cruiser convertible until I went to pick mine up from the dealership,  they'd just put one in the showroom,  one day I'll get one to keep mine company, sadly we never got the turbo models in right hand drive. 

A funny thing.. when the convertible first came out I didn’t like it. I thought it was too slab sided. And I thought the rear needed more style, like adding an early Anglia boot. The design eventually grew on me and when I saw this one for sale, I had to buy it!

The Turbo is interesting. It has a nice little exhaust gurgle. It’s fine in daily driving. But put the accelerator to the floor and you can spin the front tires. It is pretty fast! Downside is crummy gas mileage on premium fuel!

11 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Still got my PT Cruiser which I bought new back in 2006, a week today and I'll have had it 14 years, thought I'd give her a good clean yesterday....

Good looking vehicle. Looks well maintained.

I recently semi-inherited a client's 2001 PT she bought back in '03 or so. I've done most all the repairs on it (the few she paid somebody else to do I ended up doing over again), including several cam belts and a head gasket. Little car is pushing 200,000 miles, and the trans won't shift out of second. It's just a sensor, but the paint is starting to go, and she wanted something nicer.

Found a 2009 Corolla with an honest 34,000 miles on it for her, looks and smells new, so she's happy.

She wanted to either give the PT away or sell it cheap, but it's worth so little, the kind of folks who'd probably buy it won't do the $1000+ cam belt job that's coming up pretty soon, and the little car would end up getting junked.

I'm kinda attached to it, it's still entirely solid and reliable, so I bought it for almost nothing. I need a PT like I need another hole in the head, but they're great little light duty trucks, comfortable to travel in, and I can just about fix anything on it now in my sleep. Probably give it a nice paint job when I get out West, and try to find it a good home.

Funny thing out where I'm going...you see a lot of older, well maintained cars still earning their gas and oil. Seems like folks take care of stuff better out there, and I like that.

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good looking vehicle. Looks well maintained.

Bodywork and interior are like new, for many years it was a second car,as I had my Ford Probe as a daily driver, although it's only got just over 13,000 miles on the clock,it needs a few mechanical items replacing,  the ignition switch plays up from time to time,  the part only costs around £30, the front wishbone bushes need replacing, not because there's any play in them,but the rubber has dried out causing them to squeak when your on an uneven surface, I'll have to the complete bottom arms replaced, and due to age the cam belt needs replacing, I was planning to get it all done this year, but as I've been out of work for 3 months now I didn't want to dig into the savings to get the work done, it will all get done as soon as things get back to normal here and I can travel to get my work done.

On 6/23/2020 at 8:12 AM, stitchdup said:

Make friends with the banger racers if you can, i've found most are happy to swap parts with folk to keep cars on the road and especially body panels. If they have a good panel and yours is rusty they will usually be happy to swap since they know they will be destroying them anyway

I regularly go to the banger racing at my local track (well, usually!) and over the years I've had bits and bobs off various racers. I know some car enthusiasts don't like them or what they do, but at the end of the day they're having fun with cars the same as the rest of us and the vast bulk of what they race is beyond hope or common enough not to worry about. Some impressive driving and building skills to be seen there.

I have one or two kits I want to build up as a banger for various reasons, first I need to work out a few details as to how to make it look effective.

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I regularly go to the banger racing at my local track (well, usually!) and over the years I've had bits and bobs off various racers. I know some car enthusiasts don't like them or what they do, but at the end of the day they're having fun with cars the same as the rest of us and the vast bulk of what they race is beyond hope or common enough not to worry about. 

In the USA we have the demolition derby. I was always a fan and in my 20s actually drove a few times. There is no feeling like aiming for another car and nailing it!  

Car guys here will complain about so called classic cars being destroyed. Being allowed in the pits and talking with the drivers, most have the story that it was their parts car for their good one and there’s nothing good left in it, or that they tried to sell it for a long time with no takers. Notice that the guys complaining to preserve and save these cars aren’t putting up any money to do so!  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, Adecoste said:

Just took my Celica out for its first drive of the year, worked great! 

20200414_141025.jpg

Great looking car. I work for Toyota Motor Credit, the us Finance arm of Toyota, and that would be a huge hit around here. Feel free to pm me more pics any time, I would enjoy checking them out. That paint looks great, do you have a protection or film on that?