Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Actually got this yesterday... Candy apple red '60 Bonneville for a resto/rebuild. I love when the original builder actually follows the instruction to "use cement sparingly" and ignores the one to "scrape plating and paint from parts before cementing!" The result is that this beauty has very minor skirt rash. The fact that there are no antenna holes atop the quarter panels is even better! She's already been stripped and scrubbed and is ready to receive a roof from a rough hardtop in the stash.

More here... http://public.fotki.com/Froghawk/smp-59-corvette-kit/candybonne3.html

Nice John!

I have the hard top version yet to build.

I've always thought that this body style was one of Pontiac's best.

I love them!

Steve

DA0913-165426_1.jpg

OK, maybe I picked a bad example for illustration. There does seem to be some intentional cross-marketing going on focused towards manga & anime (or whatever the correct term is) enthusiasts. These are Fujimi kits.         

Looks like that anime cross-marketing has been going on a long time.  Here's some vintage anime goodness from GUNZE-SANGYO.  I found these kits on a business trip to Taiwan, back in the 1990s.  I'm not a big fan of either VW Bugs or Fiat 500s. But these things were just irresistible. I see these kits on eBay occasionally:

Kit #K1 - Fiat 500 "Euro Lover's Club."  1/24 scale plastic kit, with engine detail. Comes with 3 multi-piece resin figures of the cute little Anime Girls.  The kit also includes exactly 2 photo-etch parts:  the hood hinge (probably not a good idea).  And the glasses for that Anime Girl who's checking the engine!

gs-2.thumb.JPG.2886b77cee386c6989742f296

Kit #K-2 - VW Bug, molded in red, also 1/24 scale. No engine detail but does come with the roof rack shown on the box.  This one has 2 Anime Girl figures; these are 1-piece figures also done in resin.  Photo-etch parts include the "VW" emblem and...yep, a pair of glasses-frames for the girl on the left.

gs-1.thumb.JPG.08d2bb31cb7f6af9a38f32dfb

Edited by Mike999
error

OK, maybe I picked a bad example for illustration. There does seem to be some intentional cross-marketing going on focused towards manga & anime (or whatever the correct term is) enthusiasts. These are Fujimi kits.

I shoulda left all the pics in just to annoy people :D

Gunze decades ago did Lupin cross marketing with kits, their Fiat 500, etc. http://modelingmadness.com/scott/cars/2cvpreview.htm

The only issue of the early 2CV with solid rear quarters and a corrugated hood was one of these, the hood included was resin, sail panel blank plates were plastic. Why I know this and own one pre-internet is as inexplicable as why there are seemingly 47 versions of this car in 1/24, and exactly ZERO other replicas of the earliest 2CV. I always thought the common versions were "cute", and this was utilitarian. 

Lol Mike, I type slowly lately. 

Boxart Clarise & 2CV G-343 Gunze Sangyo Image result for clarise 2cv183020-17550-63.jpg

More Ford GT kits. Very cool. I wonder how this Aurora kit compares to other GT 40 kits?

I'd say it's on par with the IMC Kits. I've just glanced over it so far. I think I'll shoot the Instructions and send'em to the Drastic Plastic folks for posting.

I'd say it's on par with the IMC Kits. I've just glanced over it so far. I think I'll shoot the Instructions and send'em to the Drastic Plastic folks for posting.

Is there any chance that this kit is the one Revell picked up the tooling for years ago, and has rereleased several times over the years? I notice the box indicates it's a Ford GT rather than a GT-40. Wasn't the old Aurora, later Revell kit titled as just a Ford GT also? Because it was based on a early car, before they became known as GT-40s.

Is there any chance that this kit is the one Revell picked up the tooling for years ago, and has rereleased several times over the years? I notice the box indicates it's a Ford GT rather than a GT-40. Wasn't the old Aurora, later Revell kit titled as just a Ford GT also? Because it was based on a early car, before they became known as GT-40s.

One and the same. It's ok, a bit underscale. You just got one not long ago?? Early GT40. Wish there was a reasonably priced pointed nose car, the spider. 

Wish R2 would find the J-car bits too. The chassis bits for it and the Mk IV ended up in the Hardcastle and McCormack Coyote. Hopefully salvageable.

RM has the Aurora GT40, E, GTO, DB4, Maserati 3500. I forget if there was another. GT has only been reissued once, the recent SSP IIRC. 

Image result for fujimi wangan midnight   Image result for fujimi wangan midnight   Image result for fujimi wangan midnight   Image result for fujimi wangan midnight

That would be Wagon Midnight,  it is very much the same thing that the American kit companies do, have tie ins with pop culture like Tv/movies,  that is just one a few animated shows Fujimi has a tie in with, others are Circuit Wolf and Initial D , Aoshima also does Initial D kits.

I'm not a big Ford GT person (I just liked the look of the Kit:P) so I had to do some checkin', but s Christian said, Yep. There was a long discussion on the Forum about different Ford Gt releases a while back:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/67630-best-of-the-gt40-kits/

Once you wade through it I'm guessing you'll know pretty much all you'll want about the 1/24-5 Ford GT (-40) Styrene Kits.

Looks like that anime cross-marketing has been going on a long time.  Here's some vintage anime goodness from GUNZE-SANGYO.  I found these kits on a business trip to Taiwan, back in the 1990s.  I'm not a big fan of either VW Bugs or Fiat 500s. But these things were just irresistible. I see these kits on eBay occasionally:

Kit #K1 - Fiat 500 "Euro Lover's Club."  1/24 scale plastic kit, with engine detail. Comes with 3 multi-piece resin figures of the cute little Anime Girls.  The kit also includes exactly 2 photo-etch parts:  the hood hinge (probably not a good idea).  And the glasses for that Anime Girl who's checking the engine!

gs-2.thumb.JPG.2886b77cee386c6989742f296

Kit #K-2 - VW Bug, molded in red, also 1/24 scale. No engine detail but does come with the roof rack shown on the box.  This one has 2 Anime Girl figures; these are 1-piece figures also done in resin.  Photo-etch parts include the "VW" emblem and...yep, a pair of glasses-frames for the girl on the left.

gs-1.thumb.JPG.08d2bb31cb7f6af9a38f32dfb

Those kits look pretty cool and the figures would be good for a diorama project.

One and the same. It's ok, a bit underscale. You just got one not long ago?? Early GT40. Wish there was a reasonably priced pointed nose car, the spider. 

Wish R2 would find the J-car bits too. The chassis bits for it and the Mk IV ended up in the Hardcastle and McCormack Coyote. Hopefully salvageable.

RM has the Aurora GT40, E, GTO, DB4, Maserati 3500. I forget if there was another. GT has only been reissued once, the recent SSP IIRC. 

Yes I did get one a few months back. Good memory. The decals for the "Battle Aces of the Road" version are cool. GT-40 - P-40. But, not cool enough for me to hunt a set down for my Revell version of the kit.

I love those Ford GTs and GT-40s. Old. New. Anything in between.

Edited by unclescott58

Yes I did get one a few months back. Good memory. The decals for the "Battle Aces of the Road" version are cool. GT-40 - P-40. But, not cool enough for me to hunt a set down for my Revell version of the kit.

I love those Ford GTs and GT-40s. Old. New. Anything in between.

Scott, there's one advantage to using the USAAC decals! When the "Rivet Counters" start pointing out shortcomings it can be proudly proclaimed "It's 100% exactally Correct... for an Aurora Ford GT Flying Tiger ;)

Edited by Crazy Ed

By the way, I looked online at the other kits that were available in the "Battle Aces of the Road" series. Kind of cool. I'm wondering how these have slipped by my attention over the years? I can see wanting them when they first came out. The Spitfire - Jaguar in particular looks cool. In fact I'd buy that one if they ever reissued it now. The Porche and Ferrari are not that cool. I love the Farrari as a car. But, in an Italian fighter plane motif? The German Porche in this case just had no pizzazz. And the one they missed? They should have had a Toyota 2000GT done up as a Zero.

I do like the idea. (As you can tell.) As some of you may know, I'm doing my Revell '30 Model A in the fighter plane motif shown on the kits box art. It would be fun to pretend your a fighter pilot on the road. Heck, if I had a real car done up like that, you'd see me driving around in a leather hemet. Just don't give me any machine guns. I might be tempted to use them!

Edited by unclescott58

Just got another one of these little guys, really cheap, and complete / unstarted. Though this is the "new-tool" kit with the engine-scale issues and the misshapen nose and hood, it's also a good parts source for other stuff like the dropped-and-filled front axle and the wheel / tire combo.

I'm beginning to put together and mockup what's going to be necessary to combine the "new" and "old" kits to make an accurate one, and I found I'd already pirated my other (new tool) kits for several bits I'm going to need.

Image result for AMT ala kart

By the way, I looked online at the other kits that were available in the "Battle Aces of the Road" series. Kind of cool. I'm wondering how these have slipped by my attention over the years? I can see wanting them when they first came out. The Spitfire - Jaguar in particular looks cool. In fact I'd buy that one if they ever reissued it now. The Porche and Ferrari are not that cool. I love the Farrari as a car. But, in an Italian fighter plane motif? The German Porche in this case just had no pizzazz. And the one they missed? They should have had a Toyota 2000GT done up as a Zero.

I do like the idea. (As you can tell.) As some of you may know, I'm doing my Revell '30 Model A in the fighter plane motif shown on the kits box art. It would be fun to pretend your a fighter pilot on the road. Heck, if I had a real car done up like that, you'd see me driving around in a leather hemet. Just don't give me any machine guns. I might be tempted to use them!

I don't think Aurora ever did a Toyota 2000GT, though MPC (Airfix molds?) might have. If you want a Jag-Spitfire, just get any Jag kit and paint it up in RAF colors. RAF decals are common and cheap--ask in the right place and I'm pretty sure guys would give them to you.

Got this "thing " in the mail from Japan yesterday. It took almost 7 weeks to get here and I had forgotten about it. I believe it is based on some Japanese cartoon. It was interesting to me because I thought it had a Steampunk, 30's race car, 30's airplane vibe to it. I will build it when I feel like building something different.

got%20today%20from%20japan%20001_zpsie2y

got%20today%20from%20japan%20002_zpsazxt

Well, you convinced me, I just ordered two of these.

Just got another one of these little guys, really cheap, and complete / unstarted. Though this is the "new-tool" kit with the engine-scale issues and the misshapen nose and hood, it's also a good parts source for other stuff like the dropped-and-filled front axle and the wheel / tire combo.

I'm beginning to put together and mockup what's going to be necessary to combine the "new" and "old" kits to make an accurate one, and I found I'd already pirated my other (new tool) kits for several bits I'm going to need.

Image result for AMT ala kart

I hope you do a WIP on this when you get to it. I have most of an original AlaKart and was also thinking of merging it with the new-tool. I have a second new-tool AlaKart still sealed which I had signed by Barris, don't think I want to break that one open. 

Image result for revell 2013 camaro zl1   One of these followed me home from HL. It will get sectioned and generously donate its custom wheels to another project.   

I picked up some .010" music wire for the flying and landing-wires on the Gee Bee build, too.   Image result for gee bee flying wires

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...