Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 9/29/2019 at 5:04 PM, vintagedragcrazy said:

My haul from the show in pittsbergh pa. 

Vince

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Three of us set up together on two tables there, as we have for most of the last ten years...all three of us found some screaming deals, and sold some stuff too...

12 hours ago, Mark said:

Three of us set up together on two tables there, as we have for most of the last ten years...all three of us found some screaming deals, and sold some stuff too...

hey mark i didnt know you were there i met up with phil (fordf150) and weve been dealing at shows for years and didnt know it! are you going to potbellys show in november if so maybe get to meet you guys!

vince

Stuff I bought at the Diversified Cruiserz show on Saturday.  There were 23 vendor tables, and some decent stuff to be had!   Great show!  Interestingly enough, each of the items I got was $20, for a total of $80 spent!  

image.png.06346cc1a5bebf3db3a3d292c75d539f.png

I'd been looking for the Brat kit, and as the usual when you want something it's nowhere to be found.  I never saw it in my local Hobby Lobby.  

image.png.084494c4c43652f6b378bfa330cbb825.png

This is a fairly new issue.  Mint in the box, I don't know why the vendor was selling it for $20.  I always liked the first gen Civics. Hasegawa puts out an interesting kit,  curbside but a million detail pieces on the chassis.  And the most beautiful molding you'll ever see!  It only comes with RHD, but the dash is symmetrical and the gauge cluster is a separate part.  Easy conversion. My bro-in-law had a white one back in the day, I guess I'll build it.

image.png.0a07f9905cb227d58058c28e80147e35.png

1960 Pontiac wagon from Vic's Resin.  Any ideas on a correct chassis for this one?  (Don't say the Trumpeter kit)

image.png.228f5ba42d331788f238a4dc2c5b772f.png

And from my point of view,  the find of the day.  An original issue Blue Beetle needing restoration!  The original blue plastic will clean up well,  a bit of Alclad and a few replacement parts from other kits of the Monogram Model A series that are in my parts box. The unique parts like the Caddy script valve covers are all there.   Does anyone make the decals for this one (and / or the Red Chariot) ?  

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Stuff I bought at the Diversified Cruiserz show on Saturday.  There were 23 vendor tables, and some decent stuff to be had!   Great show!  Interestingly enough, each of the items I got was $20, for a total of $80 spent!  

I'd been looking for the Brat kit, and as the usual when you want something it's nowhere to be found.  I never saw it in my local Hobby Lobby.  

This is a fairly new issue.  Mint in the box, I don't know why the vendor was selling it for $20.  I always liked the first gen Civics. Hasegawa puts out an interesting kit,  curbside but a million detail pieces on the chassis.  And the most beautiful molding you'll ever see!  It only comes with RHD, but the dash is symmetrical and the gauge cluster is a separate part.  Easy conversion. My bro-in-law had a white one back in the day, I guess I'll build it.

1960 Pontiac wagon from Vic's Resin.  Any ideas on a correct chassis for this one?  (Don't say the Trumpeter ki

And from my point of view,  the find of the day.  An original issue Blue Beetle needing restoration!  The original blue plastic will clean up well,  a bit of Alclad and a few replacement parts from other kits of the Monogram Model A series that are in my parts box. The unique parts like the Caddy script valve covers are all there.   Does anyone make the decals for this one (and / or the Red Chariot) ?  

Nice Tom.

The AMT '59 El Camino would be good, but you might also consider the Revelle '59 Impala or even their '60 Impala since they are both a later design and may have a little more detail than the El Camino. It will also depend on what you have or how easy it is to obtain one of the others. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

The AMT '59 El Camino would be good, but you might also consider the Revelle '59 Impala or even their '60 Impala since they are both a later design and may have a little more detail than the El Camino. It will also depend on what you have or how easy it is to obtain one of the others. 

Might be a good idea to double-check that the wheelbases on these GM cars were the same. I know that in later years, the fancier brands had longer wheelbases than the Chevies. 

14 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

My Grandmother had a white one too. I'd love to fine one of those to build that little tin can.

Later-

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Might be a good idea to double-check that the wheelbases on these GM cars were the same. I know that in later years, the fancier brands had longer wheelbases than the Chevies. 

That's a very good point. I think that the Catalina and Impala shared the same wheel base, if the resin body is of one of the senior models then the wheel base would be different. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

That's a very good point. I think that the Catalina and Impala shared the same wheel base, if the resin body is of one of the senior models then the wheel base would be different. 

The only "good" chassis would probably be the Trumpeter '60 Bonneville.

I have already done a little searching for a suitable Bonneville chassis for mid and late '60s Bonnevilles, and there s basically nothing out there that will not require some sort of modification.

All current kits, whether it's one of the many Chevy Impalas, the AMT '62 Catalina or the Moebius '61 Ventura, have shorter wheel bases.

One of those chassis will work great for something like the '64 Pontiac Grand Prix project that I will start in the near future, but they will all need stretching to fit a full sized Pontiac.

Steve

If the chassis is needed for a station wagon, the El Camino piece should work.  All of the wagons, regardless of trim level, were on the short wheelbase.  On the passenger cars, the wheelbase difference was at the rear.  Had it been in front of the firewall, then the wagons would likely have been built on two wheelbases also.

51 minutes ago, Mark said:

If the chassis is needed for a station wagon, the El Camino piece should work.  All of the wagons, regardless of trim level, were on the short wheelbase.  On the passenger cars, the wheelbase difference was at the rear.  Had it been in front of the firewall, then the wagons would likely have been built on two wheelbases also.

The wagons were built on two different wheel bases.

In 1960 Pontiac produced a Catalina series Safari wagon on a 122 inch wheel base, and a Bonneville series Safari on a 124 inch wheel base.

So the question is, which car does Tom's resin kit depict?

If it is a Catalina Safari, the Catalina, Ventura or the El Camino chassis will work.

If it is a Bonneville Safari, the Trumpeter chassis will be the only option short of modification.

Steve

classiccardatabase.com/postwar-models/Pontiac.php

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

On 10/1/2019 at 10:07 AM, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.0a07f9905cb227d58058c28e80147e35.png

1960 Pontiac wagon from Vic's Resin.  Any ideas on a correct chassis for this one?  (Don't say the Trumpeter kit)

image.png.228f5ba42d331788f238a4dc2c5b772f.png

Cool wagon Tom.... My family had a 59,63,64,68,69,70,72 Bonneville/Safari wagons over the years.

Seeing my last 2 paint jobs went bust. I felt I needed to get out of the house. All the talk lead me to traveling to our nearest Ollies and Hobby Lobby. Ollies had air planes and ships. Spoke to one of the managers and he explained they really have no idea what was shipped to them until the box is opened because they only have boxes with a word on them like "toys" or "Electronics" on them. He showed the boxes to me. 

I check Hobby Lobbys website quite often because the one girl who was in charge told me that usually the websites show ne items before the stores even know. I saw this morning they had something like 15 - 20 new items in the model section. They were all diecasts. But that made me think they would have to clear some new space for these items. So maybe my HL marked the kits down, No luck.

But I did manage to get a few items on my venture today which also include stops at 2 Micheals as I had 2 50% off coupons. 

I got new tweezers and a small clamp at HL. Then the Camaro and the Oldsmoble at Micheals. Each under $10 including sales tax. The Studebarker Lark I won on eBay and was waiting patiently at my door for me to get home. With the  Studebaker i went from happy to get it. Unhappy once I opened it. Then back to happy. The rest of the studebaker story will be on the "What pleased you today" posts.

today.jpg

Edited by ewetwo

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...