Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

You still have to wait for the machine to print out the receipt and it still isn't as fast as a cash transaction. If I want to know my balance, all I have to do is open up my billfold. ;) Plus, no one can hack into it from their computer.

What is your point about waiting on the receipt? Is there someplace that DOESN'T give receipts with cash transactions?

I'd challenge that since I actually know how to use the PIN pad at the checkout I can swipe my card, enter my PIN, hit "No" for Cash Back, and "Yes" for Correct Amount have it process and get my receipt in the same or less time it'll take you to count out your cash (especially if you're going on an excursion for exact change), hand it over, have the clueless person on the other end try to make change, and get your receipt. At most restaurants I can tell the person manning the register how much of a tip I want to leave and be out the door, while you're trying to explain you want a 5 and 5 Ones. At McDonalds I just swipe my card, I don't even have put in a PIN, you're still fumbling with your wallet.

As a bonus when we both walk outside and get mugged at gunpoint I can call my bank and have my debit card canceled instantly and not lose a dime, your huge wad of cash is gone forever.

Some of the interesting newer apps I'm seeing are pay by phone mobile pay systems..Google Wallet, Square, etc..I haven't tried it yet, but a buddy of mine can preorder and pay by phone as we walk from the office to the neighborhood ramen shop, and then walk up to the counter and show the cashier the receipt on the phone...I've seen vending machines at a client office take Google Wallet payments.

As far as receipts, I try and avoid them when possible--they are just clutter that gets shredded when I get home (only time I keep the receipt is if it is something I might possibly need to return, which is nearly never).

Edited by Rob Hall

What is your point about waiting on the receipt? Is there someplace that DOESN'T give receipts with cash transactions?

I'd challenge that since I actually know how to use the PIN pad at the checkout I can swipe my card, enter my PIN, hit "No" for Cash Back, and "Yes" for Correct Amount have it process and get my receipt in the same or less time it'll take you to count out your cash (especially if you're going on an excursion for exact change), hand it over, have the clueless person on the other end try to make change, and get your receipt. At most restaurants I can tell the person manning the register how much of a tip I want to leave and be out the door, while you're trying to explain you want a 5 and 5 Ones. At McDonalds I just swipe my card, I don't even have put in a PIN, you're still fumbling with your wallet.

As a bonus when we both walk outside and get mugged at gunpoint I can call my bank and have my debit card canceled instantly and not lose a dime, your huge wad of cash is gone forever.

How many people need a receipt for gas and a few items bought in a convenience store? How many people keep a receipt from a restaurant? It's not like you can take them back. I've had to wait in checkout lines many times on people who have those "convenient" debit and credit cards. You know, the people who have to swipe them over and over until they finally give up and grab another card to see if it will work or has money in the account? Of course they have to fumble through their wallet to find that other card and hope it has enough credit on it. I once stood behind a woman in the checkout line for so long waiting for her to get checked out with her multiple cards that I was literally ready to hand her the cash for the five items she had just so I could get checked out. Some people know how to use them. Some don't.

I don't know about you. But, where I live, I never worry about getting mugged. :P Plus, when we walk by a person on the street who has something for sale at deal too good to pass up, who do you think's going to go home with it? Me with cash in hand or you with a plastic card in hand?

Plus, when we walk by a person on the street who has something for sale at deal too good to pass up, who do you think's going to go home with it? Me with cash in hand or you with a plastic card in hand?

A person on the street with something to sell? For cash?

Uh, what sort of "merchandise" are you talking about?

My, my, my, seems like a lot of impatient people here in a hurry to go nowhere. Yep, I just gotta love 2014. Yesterday a person somehow dropped a cell-phone in the icy Chicago River and went after it along with two other people. One made it out alive and the others, well.................... I really didn't know cell/iPhones were so valuable. I would throw mine in the river before dropping it as I can live very easily without it.

A person on the street with something to sell? For cash?

Uh, what sort of "merchandise" are you talking about?

Yeah really...

If I'm going somewhere where I know I need cash, like a model show, then I can make the appropriate side-trip to the bank for paper dollars.

But in nearly 29 years of being in this hobby I've never had a guy in a trench coat come out of a dark alley going "Pssst! Hey Mister! Wanna Buy a Model?"

There might have been a time when cash was an everyday item - when you actually CASHED a paycheck and a plastic card was a rare exception. Nowadays that entire paradigm has reversed.

I do remember in olden days going to 'flea markets' and paying cash for merch....but I quit going w/ the rise of eBay..

Somehow, the mention of running into a guy on the street who has a "product" he'd like to sell you for cash reminds me of something else besides a flea market... ^_^

Cash does is good for buying things online, since there is not slot on my laptop to stick cash in :lol:

Like what James said, if I am going some place that I need cash(model swap meets) , I will visit the ATM, but for everything else, plastic

And really, if you are out and aboot, and need cash, its not all that hard to get some, unless you are out in the middle or nowhere, or in Amish country

Edited by martinfan5

Every day, the Amish prove that you can survive just fine without what most of us consider the bare necessities.

Um, not really. Yea, I used the Amish as an example in jest, but I live about a half hour from Lancaster Amish Country. Contrary to popular belief, they don't live in the 19th century. They have their ways, but they have hypocritical work arounds for a lot of stuff.

For instance.. my cousin had an Amish crew working on his new house. They show up in a truck. They say they can ride in a truck, but can't drive or own one. Truck is driven by a Mennonite. They were all using power tools like power saws and nail guns. They say they can use them if they're provided to them, but cannot own them. They take a lot of taxi rides too.

They have no dietary restrictions, so you'll see them in Wendys. They love Walmart and Target, both of which have a buggy parking area.

They say they don't use electricity, they say they can't be hooked up to the power grid since that's being hooked up to non Amish society... BUT they can use electricity if they make it with their own generator. So they have a lot of gas generators. And those grey Amish buggies have batteries to run the lights and such, which they recharge on their generators.

They have refrigerators, only they run them on propane... if they don't have a generator.

We went to a genuine Amish farm which had a tourist shop attached to it. They had no electric lights, but a ton of skylights to provide natural light. They sold Amish foods and preserves, both from a refrigerated case AND a freezer case, yea with electricity. And the cash register... modern computerized one that takes both credit and debit cards! Yea, even the Amish take credit cards!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Yeah, I've never had a debit card. My wife goes to the bank, to the teller and gets out the cash we need for the week as well as paying bills etc. We have a card that we can use to get cash out if we have to. We've used it twice in eight years when we were travelling. And even then my wife wouldn't use it unless the bank was open in case the machine would eat the card. We end up using the credit card more as a debit card as we pay it off each month. The Amish are probably more advanced than we are…. :huh:

I think I first switched from an ATM card to a debit card maybe around 1997 when I opened an account with Bank One (now Chase) when I moved from Michigan to Colorado. I'd had a regular ATM card before that probably since my first bank account as a teenager around 1987. I can't recall the last time I used a teller, maybe 5 years ago when I opened a business account for my S-Corp.

I pay all my bills electronically (incl. mortgage and car payment) except for the pool service (I use a paper check and mail it--very old school) and the yard service (pay the guy cash--even older school.. :)

I try and avoid walk up ATMs unless I'm in the airport, otherwise I use the drive thru...

Anyway, as far as the original topic--what irked me today--traffic. My commute home is pretty smooth except for a 2 block stretch of surface street--took 3 cycles of red-green-yellow before I could get through an intersection a mile from home.

Edited by Rob Hall

How many people need a receipt for gas and a few items bought in a convenience store? How many people keep a receipt from a restaurant? It's not like you can take them back.

Well, I keep them until I see them CLEAR my account for the right amount. IE: Make sure the restaurant did not ADD an extra $5 to the tip, or the fuel pump did not make an error and also charge me for the gas for the next person or two etc. etc.

Well, I keep them until I see them CLEAR my account for the right amount. IE: Make sure the restaurant did not ADD an extra $5 to the tip, or the fuel pump did not make an error and also charge me for the gas for the next person or two etc. etc.

I'm with you Mark, as I do the same thing. I keep the receipts until the bills clear and then shred them. I too look for overcharges or charges that I did not make. It works for me.

That is a smart thing to do

Yep, I always get my receipt, because it's my understanding that charges can be added, and when I go to a resturant sometimes I leave the tip on the table, so when I pay out I always draw a line through where you put the tip on the receipt so no one can add an unwanted tip to my card, and yes if anyone hasn't invested in a shredder you need to, we shred everything that has our name on it or a number or address, criminals are far too savvy these days to give them any kind of an edge and it's amazing how little information they need to ruin your day or life!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Back in September, we had an honest, up front meeting with our boss about our equipment situation. Now, we are using ten plus year old forklifts and they

are pretty ragged out. Being jerry-rigged to keep from being replaced isn't doing us any favors. Last week, one of our lifts had the entire drive motor snap off

it's mounts. This motor drives the lift. Without it, the lift is basically useless. Boss is saying that it will be about a month before it gets fixed. We also have another lift that's been in the shop since November. It won't get fixed until March. There are five lift drivers on our shift and there are only seven lifts to use. Two of them being back ups. If our primary lift goes down, then I'm screwed because our back ups are broken. The moral of this story is that you have to spend a little to earn a lot. But, they want to be cheap and piece something together instead of replacing old, tired, broken equipment. I'm irked for an entire week!

Waking up to another day of miserable weather. Another 3-4" of snow by tomorrow on top of the foot or so already on the ground, below zero wind chills, heavy winds & now we're supposed to have a propane shortage & I heat my house with propane. I feel like I'm at the North pole instead of Northern Indiana. :angry:

Waking up to another day of miserable weather. Another 3-4" of snow by tomorrow on top of the foot or so already on the ground, below zero wind chills, heavy winds & now we're supposed to have a propane shortage & I heat my house with propane. I feel like I'm at the North pole instead of Northern Indiana. :angry:

I feel your pain brother. Same weather where I live and on top of that I banged up my car on the icy road this morning. Took out a front fender and mirror on the passenger side. Haven't been able to check for damage underneath just yet but she drives and sounds OK.