Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Sitting on my porch drinking coffee and enjoying the break of dawn when I got a phone text from my bank asking if I had made a purchase from GREATTOYGLOBALMARKETP on my Visa card. I called the number they gave me and was told someone had made a purchase for that amount this morning. I have been awake for just more than an hour and have not been on my computer, nor have I ever heard of this company. So, as of now that particular credit card is blocked and a new one will be sent to me. This is the second time in the past 12 months this card has been defrauded.  I really need to determine where the 'leak' is and get it plugged. Guess I will be spending some time at the bank this morning getting this straightened out.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Sitting on my porch drinking coffee and enjoying the break of dawn when I got a phone text from my bank asking if I had made a purchase from GREATTOYGLOBALMARKETP on my Visa card. I called the number they gave me and was told someone had made a purchase for that amount this morning. I have been awake for just more than an hour and have not been on my computer, nor have I ever heard of this company. So, as of now that particular credit card is blocked and a new one will be sent to me. This is the second time in the past 12 months this card has been defrauded.  I really need to determine where the 'leak' is and get it plugged. Guess I will be spending some time at the bank this morning getting this straightened out.

I had to close out a checking account for my dad once when he claimed someone from Social Security called him asking for his bank account info so they could mail him a check for $800. that they owed him. This was at the beginning of his dementia and he fell for it. I left work immediately and closed out his account which became another problem due to checks he wrote that hadn't been cashed yet and now the account was closed. Thankfully because of his unique situation the bank waved all the fees. Many phone calls to businesses he delt with to give them the new account info. Thieves of credit card and money institutions should have severe punishment for what they cause!

3 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

We've had this happen before and you will probably never know how, what, or who did it. You really don't need to do anything now because your bank has taken care of things.

Frustrating I know. Always would like to know what goes on from the other end when the "crook" has the purchase cancelled.

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

We've had this happen before and you will probably never know how, what, or who did it. You really don't need to do anything now because your bank has taken care of things.

Frustrating I know. Always would like to know what goes on from the other end when the "crook" has the purchase cancelled.

The crook simply moves onto the next victim inline on their who to steal from list they've compiled. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Had a similar experience a few years ago. The credit card company had us reapply for a new card, but under the new higher interest rates. Somebody was having a good time at a spa in England according to what we were told. Banks and many other institutions are not keeping up with their security protection on their cards and other accounts. Third time and they are out, start looking for a bank that takes account security seriously. 

• Like 1

USPS again. Sent a check over a month ago to a company and got a 2nd notice in the mail yesterday wanting their money. The notice made it here but not my check going the other way. I have another check that hasn't been cashed for another outfit that was sent 2 weeks ago but they are usually slow about cashing it.

One of the places just now has options for different payment methods so will take advantage of that but the first one I mentioned wants a check (once a year). I will call them today to see if they accept other methods of pay.

I've had about 10 issues with the USPS in the last several years. They suck!

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

...I've had about 10 issues with the USPS in the last several years. They suck!

Try running a business that depends on timely deliveries from multiple suppliers every week.

EDIT: Nobody pays me extra for organizing my workflow so that I can order parts and materials two weeks to 30 days in advance to compensate for less-than-efficient shipping...which is another reason that after these last two projects, I quit.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

27 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Try running a business that depends on timely deliveries from multiple suppliers every week.

EDIT: Nobody pays me extra for organizing my workflow so that I can order parts and materials two weeks to 30 days in advance to compensate for less-than-efficient shipping...which is another reason that after these last two projects, I quit.

As frustrating as it is I can't picture you as a quitter Bill... Retired also doesn't fit your ants in the pants energetic energy... So let's just say after your last two projects you'll be on an extended sabbatical? Maybe a life long time? 😉

19 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

As frustrating as it is I can't picture you as a quitter Bill... Retired also doesn't fit your ants in the pants energetic energy... So let's just say after your last two projects you'll be on an extended sabbatical? Maybe a life long time? 😉

I appreciate that.

I'll be taking what I've learned over the years and applying it to building my own stuff...but no more customer work, ever...unless the economy totally blows up and everything we know as "security" disintegrates.

EDIT: When I'm building my own stuff, I'm rarely in a hurry, and I already have almost everything I need for multiple projects anyway. So if a delivery takes longer than 'I'd like, I'll just go somewhere and do something else for fun in the interim. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

i know the feeling Bill, I do purchasing at work, and most of our vendors are terrible. Attach a PO to an email and wait. Might take a week to get an acknowledgement. One time I got the product before I got an acknowledgement. Trying to call them on the phone will drive you crazy. The best vendor I have is a hardware company in China. Acknowledgements in 24 hrs. and product in a week. Go figure. 

• Like 2

I have 32 brand new 2025 Ford E-450 cutaway now in transit to me. Should be here next week.

These are all sold, and customer is super excited because their previous dealer couldn't get them any chassis over the past couple of years.

However, these are supposed to be dropshipped to a body build in New Paris, Indiana.

Even though I received confirmation that the vehicles would be dropshipped at the vendor, all 32 of these units are coming directly here instead.

Ford's response?

Ooopsie. Our bad. Nothing we can do to help.

So now we need to ship 32 of these things back down to Indiana.  

image.jpeg

These are bare chassis Econolines with no rear cab wall, no passenger side door, and no passenger seat. 

Ugh.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I have 32 brand new 2025 Ford E-450 cutaway now in transit to me. Should be here next week.

These are all sold, and customer is super excited because their previous dealer couldn't get them any chassis over the past couple of years.

However, these are supposed to be dropshipped to a body build in New Paris, Indiana.

Even though I received confirmation that the vehicles would be dropshipped at the vendor, all 32 of these units are coming directly here instead.

Ford's response?

Ooopsie. Our bad. Nothing we can do to help.

So now we need to ship 32 of these things back down to Indiana.  These are bare chassis Econolines with no rear cab wall, no passenger side door, and no passenger seat. 

Looks like quality Is still Job One.

And I thought I had to compensate for idiots...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

19 minutes ago, Zen said:

So how does one get the 32 units back down there? And then you need to get them back to Canada?

We're trying to get the rerouted, as they're on railcars right now. But, that is an unlikely scenario.

We have someone at Ford that has admitted fault, so after going waaaayyy up the food chain, we do have a couple of people at Ford on the case now.

I think what will happen is that these will get to the local railyard, get unloaded, and will then get reloaded onto a train and head back to Indiana.

The client typically handles the bus build, and then bringing the finished units into Canada, so we don't need to worry about that. 

We just need to get these things to the bus factory in IN.

If they arrive, this is what we'll be getting. Just picture it without the passenger side door or passenger seat.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 11:27 AM, Zen said:

Interesting........... 

These have no side door because they are being converted to busses. 

Correct. When complete, these will look something like this.

image.jpeg

And I could probably switch this over to the What Pleased You thread.

Heard back from Ford about an hour ago. They have managed to place a hold on these and will have them rerouted successfully to where they need to go. They apologized for their error, and thanked us for bringing it to their attention. Our contact also mentioned that had the vehicles all arrived here, it would have cost almost $200k US to get them transported back to Indiana.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mark said:

I'm surprised there isn't a company in Canada doing those conversions.

There is. But these are going to the local dealer for this particular brand of bus. I actually supply the E-series chassis to the four largest suppliers of minibuses in Canada. I currently have orders for over 200 of these things, plus some Transit and F550 chassis in various stages of production at a few different bus body builders in the US and Canada. :)

4 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Dan glad to hear that Ford made things right. However they should have done this from the start.

To be fair, as soon as we brought it to their attention, they snapped to it pretty quick to get this resolved. Except for that initial response from one person, they've been pretty good.

Without getting too into the nitty gritty, the ordering process to get these done sucks.  I enter the initial order in one system, then I have to use a DOS based system to add the ship to location. Then I have to fill out a pdf form and email it to someone in the Scheduling department, and they have to go into the DOS system and approve the ship to location. It's a horrible system. 

• Like 1

I tend to complain and moan frequently about people not returning emails, or just not bothering to do their jobs with any sense of responsibility.

This week I had TWO suppliers who messed up, one with a ridiculously poorly packed order that was subsequently badly damaged in transit, and another one who shorted an order bigtime, and one of the parts that did arrived was of poor quality.

HOWEVER, BOTH of these responded immediately to my emails, and have already or are working towards making things right.

Everybody makes mistakes. It's how you deal with and correct them that counts...and these two suppliers have top marks for follow-up so far.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy