Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Getting up outta bed from the sound of a gas leaf blower outside my window this morning...Again????.Oh what I wanted to do with that leaf blower to that gardener.But I refrained ,and attempted to fall back to sleep.???Then the other neighbor on the other side, let’s their stupid ugly little mutt outside,barking like nuts.I have a pretty big piece of property.The problem is all these new neighbors moving in.I’m like where the hell did they all come from,all of a sudden.Might be time to move.

4 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Getting up outta bed from the sound of a gas leaf blower outside my window this morning...Again????.Oh what I wanted to do with that leaf blower to that gardener.But I refrained ,and attempted to fall back to sleep.???Then the other neighbor on the other side, let’s their stupid ugly little mutt outside,barking like nuts.I have a pretty big piece of property.The problem is all these new neighbors moving in.I’m like where the hell did they all come from,all of a sudden.Might be time to move.

You too?  I work nights and have the same problems you do (barking dogs, etc.). Few years ago I solved most of those problem (no, I didn't move the backwoods of Maine) by getting one of these little gadgets: https://www.soundofsleep.com/lectrofan/  . It is amazing how well that fairly small device masks ambient sounds (and it can be turned up quite loud).

LectroFan_1.jpg

I use the fan sounds - it sounds just like my window air conditioner which acts as my "pacifier" during summer time.

Edited by peteski

58 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

We use a model from Bed Bath & Beyond , ocean waves , rain , babbling brook , thunder , white noise and country "crickets" . Work s great and under $20 .

Yea I used to use a sound box,for lack of a better word,and it helped me sleep.But it broke and I never got another one.Maybe it’s time to get another one.

I've got a fan app on my phone I use occasionally.  But usually my sleeping pills do their job (been on prescription sleeping pills for almost 30 years for my insomnia).   The dogs often wake me during the night.   But I live in a very quiet neighborhood so usually no outside noise issues. 

9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I've got a fan app on my phone I use occasionally.  But usually my sleeping pills do their job (been on prescription sleeping pills for almost 30 years for my insomnia).   The dogs often wake me during the night.   But I live in a very quiet neighborhood so usually no outside noise issues. 

Oh no more sleeping pills for me..You’ve been on them for 30 years?They are supposed to be temporary,then you slowly come off them.Its  either they don’t work,which seems obvious,or you are completely addicted.From one model maker to another,be careful of those pills.I won’t mention the name of the medication I was on for a couple of years,but I will say this.I got arrested for sleep driving.That is real,I swear.So is sleep talking,walking,and even sleep cooking.A while back,I had taken 2 before I went to bed.Then at around 2am,I got into my ex gfs car, and drove down about a 1/2 a mile to a gas station.Actually got out, and went inside and I bought something,I can’t remember what I bought.The only reason I know this happened was from what the guy in the gas station told me when I got out of jail and went up there to get gas the next day...I got arrested,which again,I have no recollection of that.Apparently on my drive back to my house,I side swiped like 5 cars ,took out a couple of mail boxes, and a road sign.Next thing I know when I snapped out of it,I was sitting in a holding cell, charged with driving under the influence of drugs.Thank GOD, the charges were dropped.I poured ever single pill down the sink, after I got home.And what was even worse,was going through withdrawal for like a week straight, days and nights.I mean I had been on these pills for at least two years.They really should take the med that I’am talking about, off the market...Oh and I had to fix my girlfriends car.Thankfully she bailed me out though...

I've been on several different prescription sleeping pills over the years, never had any luck w/ over the counter sleep aids.  I used to have horrible insomnia and I was a night owl in college and grad school, but in my corporate life have always been a relatively early riser.   I know if I don't take them, I can't go to sleep.  I'd love to be able to sleep without meds.    Never had sleep walking or sleep driving...that's scary. 

Another dam tree trimmer/grinder starting at 7am.Im actually seriously thinking of calling my useless worthless police dept and report a disturbing the peace.9 am should be the law.This is really pissing me off...Oh wait I just looked,and it’s the town trucks, they’re clearing out trees to build some stupid parking lot for a new park they just built, right  up the road from me.?????????????.

Edited by NYLIBUD

I was at Price Chopper in Johnstown, NY getting a few things this afternoon. I knew the woman cashing me out. Her name is Colleen. The isle behind her was closed but this woman with a cart of groceries went through that isle behind her. Colleen looked at her as the woman went by and then Colleen looked at me and said "oh, I thought she was going to ask me a question or something". I said " yes. So did I Colleen, but the woman is leaving the store with the cart full of groceries". Colleen looked and then off she went after her. Another cashier named Jean came over and said what's going on. I told her. She said to me "the happens all the time and we are not suppose to go after Them because of all the gun shooting and stabbing".

So obvisously this woman knew this and knew they wouldn't stop her. But Colleen got the plate number and called the police. If they need additional info they can call me. I'm confirm what happened. It's awful the direction we are all heading.
Edited by ewetwo

Came close to getting hit twice today, big time. Once in each car. Coming back from Walmart there is a curvy residential street with a 25 mph limit that nobody obeys. On one of the left curves I see an early 90s Ford cargo van coming the other way much too fast. He crosses the center line and is heading right for me. Not just head on, because of the curve in the road he is pointed at my driver's A pillar. At the last minute he yanked the wheel and got back in his lane. Gotta dump the dash cam footage of that. Later on, I was in the spouse's car. Red light, I was going to turn right. My light turned green and I waited three "potatoes" and started my turn. A woman in a black Challenger blew the red, totally unaware of her surrounding. I assume she was talking to someone over bluetooth because her mouth was moving as she went by. I followed her to the next intersection where she cut someone else off so she could make a right turn from the left lane. 

Makes me want to get a Tahoe for a daily driver. 

There are so many horrible drivers on the road near where I live on LI NY...I came up with an idea.I decided to buy an unmarked police car at an auction.The Car is in excellent shape, and now everybody just stays as far away from me as they can.No one cuts me off, tailgates me or anything.And I never knew how polite people could be when your driving an black unmarked police car.No more idiots to deal with. Haaaa???????.And dam the car is fast.Got it up to 140 the other day.My friend and I through a set of Flow masters on,so it sounds awesome too.????????

On 11/17/2019 at 7:42 PM, NYLIBUD said:

There are so many horrible drivers on the road near where I live on LI NY...I came up with an idea.I decided to buy an unmarked police car at an auction.The Car is in excellent shape, and now everybody just stays as far away from me as they can.No one cuts me off, tailgates me or anything.And I never knew how polite people could be when your driving an black unmarked police car.No more idiots to deal with. Haaaa???????.And dam the car is fast.Got it up to 140 the other day.My friend and I through a set of Flow masters on,so it sounds awesome too.????????

Yes, it is a great deterrent to to drivers who pay attention, but for distracted drivers, or speeders coming from the opposite side (like the ones mentioned in the post before yours), the appearance of your car would have not made any difference. They would have still made those knucklehead moves.

12 hours ago, peteski said:

Yes, it is a great deterrent to to drivers who pay attention, but for distracted drivers, or speeders coming from the opposite side (like the ones mentioned in the post before yours), the appearance of your car would have not made any difference. They would have still made those knucklehead moves.

Yea, your exactly right.I agree,I could’ve been driving a tank, and get hit head on.Just too many bad drivers on the road I guess.And now everybody has to do their stupid early Xmas shopping.I hate being on the road this time of year.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:42 AM, NYLIBUD said:

Wow.  Do you have any photos to show of your acquisition? You driving a cop car...what an idea.

Truly, am amazing story. 140? On Long Island?  Kind of crazy too, don't you think?

24 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have  friend who is a retired police officer.  I kidded him once that everyone obeys the speed limit when they see a cop car.  He shook his head, and said I wouldn't believe the stuff people do right in front of a fully decorated black and white! 

This makes me laugh, I'll bet your friend has stories to tell too!

Kind of like, stupid folks do stupid things.

22 minutes ago, Mike Williams said:

Wow.  Do you have any photos to show of your acquisition? You driving a cop car...what an idea.

Truly, am amazing story. 140? On Long Island?  Kind of crazy too, don't you think?

Nah,not at 2am on Sunrise hwy.And it was only for a few seconds, then I quickly got down to 70.I just like the car.We blacked it all out,make it look a bit more sinister.And yes people still fly right past me.Idk if I saw a an unmarked car,cop car or not,I would just keep my distance, as most people do when I’m driving around.I wanted a Marauder,but couldn’t find a decent one,so the Crown Vic P71,was the next best thing.Fun car to cruise around in. 

What irked me today is I've been building this 56 Victoria for months. I was going to go black and yellow two tone but it kept messing up and ending in the purple pond. (5 times). So I decided to go one color in the aqua color. Body sprayed. interior done. Then I realized I needed to paint the spacer that the bumper hooks to and head light trim rings aqua as they were black. Got the can of paint. Shook it good. Push the button. Spurts out a few bursts of paint then stops. Figuring it was the nozzle I soaked it in thinner for 2 days. Nothing. There's over half a can of paint in there but in the trash it goes. Turns out that for some reason the can just won't let the paint out.

Lies always irk me, especially when they're employed in a CYA situation and there's no recourse.

On the PO tracking site: Total and complete 100% BS. I've never requested anything to be "held" at the PO, and my easily accessible "delivery location" has been the same for YEARS, with postal carriers routinely either leaving things in the BOX or on the PORCH. There appear to be a couple of carriers who are just too dammed lazy to get out of the truck and walk the 30 feet to the porch if the item won't fit in the box, because this happens at least once a month. I've complained repeatedly to no avail.

The carrier attempted to deliver your item.

• Nov 22, 2019
  • 3:38pm
  • Held at Post Office, At Customer Request
  • MARIETTA, GA 30066

• Nov 22, 2019
  • 6:47pm
  • Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location
  • MARIETTA, GA 30066

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Could it be the attack cat chasing them away??  

You know...that might just be it. One of the ferals I feed is a big all black tom, and one of the carriers remarked about him one day when I was home at delivery time.

If the cat's as badazz as the Monty Python bunny, we could have a serious problem.

image.png.bcdffce71dd3f8370c9176678ff413bc.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy