Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

7 hours ago, slusher said:

I was driving along on a really winding road after having lunch with a friend. Driving what the road allowed and a guy passed me and gave me the finger. Why?  Because I was there? Really irked me...

Reminds me of a story...

Before I moved to Pennsylvania, I used to take a certain NJ road on my way home from work every day. It was a speed trap.  The road had a 40 mph speed limit, then went up a hill and turned sharply.  Right at that turn there was a 25 mph sign, and very often a cop sitting right there to snag people before they had a chance to slow down.

I knew about this, so as I hit the hill, I'd let off the gas and coast down to 25 mph right before the sharp curve.  One afternoon I had a big Ford 4x4 pickup on my tail. He started honking and I could see him swearing and waving his arm in my rear view mirror.  Right at that curve, he decided to pass me on the double yellow line.  He pulled up along side me and gave me the finger.  And the cop sitting there turned on his lights!  I guess that guy figured out why I slowed down!

Everyone seems to be in such a hurry to get no where. I'm no slow poke out on the road and usually add at least 5 mph to the speed limit as an average. I don't sit in the fast lane either, yet people will run up on me even though the fast lane is open. They'll tailgate for a while. They are so close that all I can only see the bottom edge of their windshield and above. Then they'll go by me in the fast lane and then slow down to my speed just past my front bumper in that lane and just sit there.      

15 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Reminds me of a story...

Before I moved to Pennsylvania, I used to take a certain NJ road on my way home from work every day. It was a speed trap.  The road had a 40 mph speed limit, then went up a hill and turned sharply.  Right at that turn there was a 25 mph sign, and very often a cop sitting right there to snag people before they had a chance to slow down.

I knew about this, so as I hit the hill, I'd let off the gas and coast down to 25 mph right before the sharp curve.  One afternoon I had a big Ford 4x4 pickup on my tail. He started honking and I could see him swearing and waving his arm in my rear view mirror.  Right at that curve, he decided to pass me on the double yellow line.  He pulled up along side me and gave me the finger.  And the cop sitting there turned on his lights!  I guess that guy figured out why I slowed down!

15 hours ago, ewetwo said:

People are just rude now days. 

13 hours ago, cobraman said:

Ain't that the truth ?

13 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

and very brave from  inside a moving vehicle!   ?

12 hours ago, espo said:

Everyone seems to be in such a hurry to get no where. I'm no slow poke out on the road and usually add at least 5 mph to the speed limit as an average. I don't sit in the fast lane either, yet people will run up on me even though the fast lane is open. They'll tailgate for a while. They are so close that all I can only see the bottom edge of their windshield and above. Then they'll go by me in the fast lane and then slow down to my speed just past my front bumper in that lane and just sit there.      

Thanks guys! Great story Tom!

It's nothing new as drivers have been bad for many years now. Back in the 60's drivers were responsible and courteous, but not anymore as a LOT of drivers don't have a license and or insurance and they DO have the "hurray for me FU" attitude. Some drivers think that the "rules of the road" are for other drivers and not them. This is a sad situation on our roads today and there is absolutely NO sign of things getting better, ever.

Ok so I saw a model of a 75 Granada on eBay.I bid on it.Well someone else wanted it too.To make a long story short, the model bid went up to $98.00.And unfortunately I won the bid? I couldn’t believe it.Then came the worst part, for some reason,I didn’t notice that the kit was a 1/32 scale, not a 1/24, or1/25.Idk what I’m gonna do with it, and I just can’t believe that I’m paying almost $100 for it.?Oh man, this sucks.I’m sure the seller is real happy though. Arrrrrrggggg?

16 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ok so I saw a model of a 75 Granada on eBay.I bid on it.Well someone else wanted it too.To make a long story short, the model bid went up to $98.00.And unfortunately I won the bid? I couldn’t believe it.Then came the worst part, for some reason,I didn’t notice that the kit was a 1/32 scale, not a 1/24, or1/25.Idk what I’m gonna do with it, and I just can’t believe that I’m paying almost $100 for it.?Oh man, this sucks.I’m sure the seller is real happy though. Arrrrrrggggg?

That's why ya gotta read the fine print. And it helps to know who made what back in the day, too. 

14 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Isn't shopping on the internet grand ? Before I'd spend that kind of money for any kit I would want to touch it, count all the parts to make sure it's complete. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, I wonder who the other bidder was ?  

I have both the Granada and the Mercury Monarch.  The interest is that it was the only kit ever done.  If you are interested in the 1:1, it's the only game!   I had a 1:1 '77 Monarch back in the day.  Silver of course, with a blue bucket interior.  Buckets were unusual for a 4 door sedan back in the day. 

Just now, Snake45 said:

My work here is done. :D:D

I gotcha,I just can’t believe how I screwed up.???That never happens when I bid on EBay.Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.I did ask the seller to cancel the order, but he said no.However the seller did take off the shipping charges, at least..

My pickup truck stalled at the worst possible time of the day (4.30 PM) on the highway in a very bad place so I guess I halted the traffic a lot.... Tried to suck some fuel from the tank, first came nothing, then came nothing, then I got a mouthful of diesel and ice so I guess the problem was there.... ?

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Having eBay deliver a 1/32 scale model that I thought I was buying 1/24th,1,25th scale model kit.And it then it went off the scales at $92,for this piece of garbage little model of a 75 Ford Granada.Oh I screwed up big time.

0A98E02F-506E-4C7C-8852-B587910DED4D.jpeg

Dad drove a green one with a super six for a few years to well over 200,000 miles. 

13 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Having eBay deliver a 1/32 scale model that I thought I was buying 1/24th,1,25th scale model kit.And it then it went off the scales at $92,for this piece of garbage little model of a 75 Ford Granada.Oh I screwed up big time.

Just hold onto it for a while and resell it.