Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

11 hours ago, Draggon said:

I needed to get a smog check done on my '98 Durango. Here in Cali they either send you for a nice-n-easy quick test, or a more difficult one done at certain "STAR" smog stations. They are more expensive and harder to find. I discovered by accident that there are 2 sets of smog testing equipment-one for 99 and newer vehicles, and one for 98 and older. Stations in my upwardly mobile area are phasing out the older equipment when it needs repair. Of the 8 stations I called, 2 were able to do the job. I was preparing myself for bad news since the smog guy spent 45 minutes on it. But it did pass (whew!) so I'm good for 2 more years. But the way the state has handled this smog testing issue is ridiculously irksome. Every other year I being to worry if this is the year it fails.....parts are already getting hard to find. 

My theory is that the gas burned by everyone driving to the smog check station (some people have to go 20 or 30 miles or more) and then idling waiting in line produces more smog than any actual polluters they catch. AFAIC it's just another revenue scheme and make-work project for a few lucky govt employees. 

Friend of mine had a great idea: They should give you the option to just mail in double the "inspection fee" and they'd let you skip it. He says most people would do that and they'd make more money! I think he's probably right. 

24 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

My theory is that the gas burned by everyone driving to the smog check station...and then idling waiting in line produces more smog than any actual polluters they catch...

My state does a pretty good job with emissions inspections, at least from a rationality standpoint. Rationality is becoming a rare commodity.

Anything older than 25 years is exempt, and geezers older than 65 who drive their cars less than 5000 miles a year are also exempt.

It is getting harder to find the stations that can handle pre-OBD II vehicles, but there's only one more year to go before they're all exempt anyway.

27 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My state does a pretty good job with emissions inspections, at least from a rationality standpoint. Rationality is becoming a rare commodity.

Anything older than 25 years is exempt, and geezers older than 65 who drive their cars less than 5000 miles a year are also exempt.

It is getting harder to find the stations that can handle pre-OBD II vehicles, but there's only one more year to go before they're all exempt anyway.

Bill,  most cars now are newer and don’t pollute like cars in the past unless there is something wrong, am I right or wrong?

Why don't they make all gasoline to where it produces less emissions? There's a filling station here where they sell Amoco gas, and the high-test stuff is clear. There's a little window in the nozzle that you can see it going thru....... It has to burn cleaner than the lower octane stuff?

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Bill,  most cars now are newer and don’t pollute like cars in the past unless there is something wrong, am I right or wrong?

You are correct.

Even with 200,000 miles on them, many newer cars...if they've been very well maintained...are significantly cleaner-running than older carbureted cars.

But the vast majority of old cars are only used for special occasions anyway, and contribute very little...almost nothing whatsoever...to air pollution.

Unfortunately, some misguided power-mad all-controlling jurisdictions are trying to outlaw old cars on public roads, and there are even some fine folks pushing for legislation that would force MANDATORY SCRAPPING of vehicles that don't conform to present day emissions and "safety" standards.

I fondly remember when this was a free country.

16 hours ago, Draggon said:

I needed to get a smog check done on my '98 Durango. Here in Cali they either send you for a nice-n-easy quick test, or a more difficult one done at certain "STAR" smog stations. They are more expensive and harder to find. I discovered by accident that there are 2 sets of smog testing equipment-one for 99 and newer vehicles, and one for 98 and older. Stations in my upwardly mobile area are phasing out the older equipment when it needs repair. Of the 8 stations I called, 2 were able to do the job. I was preparing myself for bad news since the smog guy spent 45 minutes on it. But it did pass (whew!) so I'm good for 2 more years. But the way the state has handled this smog testing issue is ridiculously irksome. Every other year I being to worry if this is the year it fails.....parts are already getting hard to find. 

Do you have SmogNGo in the Bay Area? There is one right near my house and they are Test Only. I take the 94 S10 there and it's relatively painless. OBD1 vehicles need an evap system test, so it costs a little more. The other cars are 2016 and 2018, so they won't need to be inspected for a while. Newer stuff gets a quick inspection and plugged in to make sure most or all of the monitors are complete  (depending on the model year ).

59 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Unfortunately, some misguided power-mad all-controlling jurisdictions are trying to outlaw old cars on public roads, and there are even some fine folks pushing for legislation that would force MANDATORY SCRAPPING of vehicles that don't conform to present day emissions and "safety" standards.

I am going to trademark the T-shirt today: "You will confiscate my musclecar when you pry my cold dead fingers off the Hurst shifter!" I'll be a millionaire! :lol:

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That’s the way it’s been in other countries..  not so much for pollution but to keep their auto industries cranking out new vehicles. I remember back when I was in Germany, insurance got costly on cars over a certain age.  Americans servicemen were scooping up nice Mercedes to bring home to USA 

Japan also had legislation against cars over five years old. That caused havoc on other right hand drive countries where Japanese tried to dump clean used cars on their markets.  Once that dried up, Japan was cutting up these cars and exporting parts. Friends in Australia told me of front clips being imported that include low mile engine / transaxle combos with odometer still attached.

It could happen here! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

Some of the senseless smog laws were a factor in our leaving California in the summer of '96. I had even moved from Santa Barbara county to San Luis Obispo County, less than 10 miles, at one time just to get away from their constant Smog Checks. The CHP would set up road blocks just like when their looking for drunks on a Friday night. They were even checking to see if your headlights were adjusted properly. I miss many friends and the beautiful countryside and the many things to do. Just got tired of the endless taxes and big brother looking over your shoulder day in and day out.  

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

We do something like that around Chicago, OBD1 vehicles don’t get tested unless they trade hands then OBD2 vehicles go in every couple years for testing, where all they do is plug into the OBD Port to make sure there aren’t issues then give you the all clear to register the car for the next couple years. My XJ even passed while overheating during it’s final test in 2018:blink: 

On 7/11/2020 at 6:29 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

That is the most common sense thing I've heard in a long time. I'm 66, retired, and drive less that 2,000 miles a year. 

23 hours ago, Rodent said:

Do you have SmogNGo in the Bay Area? 

Thanks, but there are none in the Bay Area. I tried to time this with a trip to my mechanic since there are things that need done and I trust him should it need repairs to pass, but finances did not warrant it. Registration on my '98 was $146 this year along with $60 for the smog check. But that was a bargain, last time at a STAR station it cost me close to a Benjamin. 

Pennsylvania is a pain in the tail. Full inspection is annual and done at authorized repair shops. Since they can fail your car and still keep the entire near $100 fee, they have a financial incentive to do the repairs.  

Pep Boys is awful with “finding” things to repair. When I bought my LaCrosse out of state, the dealer told me it needed windshield wiper blades and gave me $25. I went to Pep Boys and bought a pair and they offered to put them on for free.  A few weeks later I took the car there for inspection and the clown comes out to me in the waiting room with a beat to crud wiper blade and tells me they have to replace them!  I grabbed the manager and told him THEY replaced the blades recently!  He was all apologetic. 

So the key is that I now have a relationship with a local garage that does all my work. They will do my inspection without issues.

Edited by Tom Geiger

It's pretty mild here in Ohio, they do an emissions check every two years for vehicles from 4 to 25 years old---nothing from the pre-OBD II era.  My '14 Jeep had no problem last time I went in a year ago, was in and out in under 10 min.

20 minutes ago, DonW said:

Don't they check the brake pipes and cables, the bushes and bearings and the chassis? Do they ensure the vehicle is safe, or just 'clean'?

In some states like Pennsylvania, perhaps.   Not here..here it's just about the check engine light and any emission related codes.   They might note if you have bald tires.  But there a lot of rusty, dented vehicles I see out and about on the roads. 

34 minutes ago, DonW said:

Don't they check the brake pipes and cables, the bushes and bearings and the chassis? Do they ensure the vehicle is safe, or just 'clean'?

Not here either, so long as emissions related codes don’t show up in the scan, they don’t concern themselves with it. My XJ passed it’s last test 2 years ago while it’s temp needle was pegged, airbag light on, no horn, no cruise control (bad clockspring in the column affected the last 3), questionable alternator, rockers rotting away, 7 year old and  weather checked tires, etc, but still was good to go due to the code scan checking out ok.

3 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Not here either, so long as emissions related codes don’t show up in the scan, they don’t concern themselves with it. My XJ passed it’s last test 2 years ago while it’s temp needle was pegged, airbag light on, no horn, no cruise control (bad clockspring in the column affected the last 3), questionable alternator, rockers rotting away, 7 year old and  weather checked tires, etc, but still was good to go due to the code scan checking out ok.

My old WJ GC kept passing the emissions tests in AZ, though by 2015 the air bag light would come on with left turns (worn clockspring), power windows and locks usually didn't work, etc.    But it still had fairly cold A/C which was what really counted in AZ.   I traded it in April '17 with 170k miles, later found out it was sold at a salvage auction 6 months later.

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

When I was living in Illinois the emissions test was inserting a long probe into the exhaust pipe.  Luckily there's no testing in Florida.

That hasn’t happened in about 15 years now, the ‘90 XJ Dad had was last tested mid decade before getting scrapped in ‘10 or ‘11.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

My old WJ GC kept passing the emissions tests in AZ, though by 2015 the air bag light would come on with left turns (worn clockspring), power windows and locks usually didn't work, etc.    But it still had fairly cold A/C which was what really counted in AZ.   I traded it in April '17 with 170k miles, later found out it was sold at a salvage auction 6 months later.

We finally scrapped mine after finding rust between what was left of the rockers and the uniframe rails (which were still fairly solid!) and standing ice and mold on the passenger side foot well. Probably should have given up when the fuel line connection rotted out at the firewall (the lines were still solid though!) in addition to the cooling system issues and rust but we didn’t until I realized is was  becoming a health risk as well as a safety one.

17 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

That hasn’t happened in about 15 years now, the ‘90 XJ Dad had was last tested mid decade before getting scrapped in ‘10 or ‘11.

We finally scrapped mine after finding rust between what was left of the rockers and the uniframe rails (which were still fairly solid!) and standing ice and mold on the passenger side foot well. Probably should have given up when the fuel line connection rotted out at the firewall (the lines were still solid though!) in addition to the cooling system issues and rust but we didn’t until I realized is was  becoming a health risk as well as a safety one.

The transmission was slipping on mine, I was getting ready to move to Ohio, needed something I could trust to drive from Phoenix to Cleveland.  After almost 17 years and 170k miles, I was ready for something new.  Been very happy w/ my '14 WK2 GC, though I probably won't keep it that long..maybe 8-10 years, until 100k miles. With all the electronics on the newer ones, I don't want to deal with old vehicle headaches as it ages. 

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Joe Handley said:My XJ passed it’s last test 2 years ago while it’s temp needle was pegged, airbag light on, no horn, no cruise control (bad clockspring in the column affected the last 3), questionable alternator, rockers rotting away, 7 year old and  weather checked tires, etc, but still was good to go due to the code scan checking out ok.

The airbag clock spring became a warranty item for Chrysler vehicles since safety items needed to last ten years per US government. I had airbag light come on in my Caravan. Dealer replaced clock spring for free

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

The transmission was slipping on mine, I was getting ready to move to Ohio, needed something I could trust to drive from Phoenix to Cleveland.  After almost 17 years and 170k miles, I was ready for something new.  Been very happy w/ my '14 WK2 GC, though I probably won't keep it that long..maybe 8-10 years, until 100k miles.

Thar was the good part of the XJ and MJ Platforms, they used the AW4 transmissions from ‘87 or ‘88 through their ends (‘92 for the MJ and ‘01 for the XJ), Aisin and Borg-Warner built the Aisin versions to go in in the I-6 and V-8 RWD and 4wd Toyota’s (like the MkIII & MkIV Supra and Lexus LS400 for example!), do it was pretty well overbuilt for AMC’s last iteration of their I-6.

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

The airbag clock spring became a warranty item for Chrysler vehicles since safety items needed to last ten years per US government. I had airbag light come on in my Caravan. Dealer replaced clock spring for free

I wasn’t aware of that, but it was never mentioned when I brought it up at dealerships in the past.