Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

The Sears of old is long gone. I was at Lowe's this morning for some yard supplies and they're selling a lot of stuff under the Craftsman name. I would start there, don't know if they'll be of any help but this is probably your best bet at this point. 

So the great state of Kansas has been basically shut down for a few months now. My Drivers License expired on my birthday in June. The state had stated back in May sometime that any licenses that were due for renewal would have to wait until after the July 4th weekend was over, just keep driving. So Monday the 6th I drive over too the DMV and they're still closed and now they will be closed until September. The notice on the door gave a phone number to call for an appointment to get a license renewed. The lady I talked to told me to go on line and make an appointment on their web site. The state gives you a list of cities where you can setup your appointment. The problem is that all of the cities are booked and they aren't taking anymore appointments. This is nothing compared to the problems the people that are depending on the state unemployment benefits. They're giving some people a child support payment and the person isn't receiving child support. That's fine since they're also docking people who don't owe a child support payments so maybe that will even out, in the states collective mind set. 

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about your license. No sane cop would ticket you under the circumstances. 

DMV has been closed here in PA as well. I managed to renew a registration through the website.. you just print your new one. Inspection has been suspended through end of July. Shouldn’t be an issue since that’s done by local garages.

What irked me today?  well . . . It was right on the forum.

Someone included 9 copies of the same photo in their post, then someone else promptly replied to that post, quoting all those duplicate photos, just to give a one-liner attaboy reply.  Come on people - think before replying to a very lengthy post - it is easy to edit/ trim the included message.  I always do - maybe I'm just being too considerate.  Ok, rant over - I feel slightly better.

14 minutes ago, peteski said:

Someone included 9 copies of the same photo in their post, then someone else promptly replied to that post, quoting all those duplicate photos, just to give a one-liner attaboy reply.  Come on people - think before replying to a very lengthy post - it is easy to edit/ trim the included message.  I always do - maybe I'm just being too considerate.  Ok, rant over - I feel slightly better.

Wow! Your life must be pretty cheery if this is the worst thing that happened to you! 

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Wow! Your life must be pretty cheery if this is the worst thing that happened to you! 

I have plenty of problems in my life, but so far that was what irked me *TODAY*.  After all this thread is about what irked us "today". All in all, it must have been a good day (so far).

Ordered a couple new sets of tires for my Traxxas Stampede, one set for pavement and the other is a belted off road tire, both pre-mounted to the same type of rims, early Sunday morning after getting back from a friend’s place and paid extra a few extra bucks over the $140.00 in products I dropped to get them UPS’d here by 7/10.  Got an email from UPS that they’re on track to be here by 9pm on 7/13.........free shipping would have been via USPS and would have been here on 7/11?

4 hours ago, peteski said:

Someone included 9 copies of the same photo in their post...

Sorry my post ruined your day. I have no idea how the repetition occurred, as I checked my post post-posting, as I always do for typos, and only saw one copy of the photo.

I have since rectified the situation.

5 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sorry my post ruined your day. I have no idea how the repetition occurred, as I checked my post post-posting, as I always do for typos, and only saw one copy of the photo.

I have since rectified the situation.

I had one of those days . . . and it looks like the forum software is acting up. :(  Thanks Bill.

Edited by peteski

I've been having lots of panic attacks recently and I'm sick of them. I'm constantly feeling drained and lethergic after them. Last weekend I had pretty severe one each day and had to miss work because of them as i had no energy to walk across the room let alone the 3 miles to work. The only medication they offer to ease the attacks is one i cant take and I'm at a loss with how to cope with them. Half the time I'm not even thinking about any worries, and even eating dinner seems to set them off

34 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I've been having lots of panic attacks recently and I'm sick of them. I'm constantly feeling drained and lethergic after them...

I can empathize. I've been having anger management issues, significantly over-reacting to normal stressors.

These are difficult times, what with loads of conflicting info out there, ineffective and ignorant "leadership", media intent on stirring things up, and widespread civil unrest.

I can only suggest meditation. It's worked for me in the past, on multiple occasions.

We CAN take control of our emotions, but it takes a conscious effort.

I was skeptical decades ago, but after looking into it with an open mind, I found a way that works for me and doesn't make me feel like a mindlessly chanting brain-dead hippy.

I use a form of Zen. 

EDIT: Neither Zen nor Buddhism are religions. Buddhism is a philosophy of living, recognizing the inter-connectedness of everything, and having the "Golden Rule" as its central idea.

EDIT 2: Here's a brief overview:    https://mindworks.org/blog/what-is-zen-meditation-benefits-techniques/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I can empathize. I've been having anger management issues, significantly over-reacting to normal stressors.

These are difficult times, what with loads of conflicting info out there, ineffective and ignorant "leadership", media intent on stirring things up, and widespread civil unrest.

I can only suggest meditation. It's worked for me in the past, on multiple occasions.

We CAN take control of our emotions, but it takes a conscious effort.

I was skeptical decades ago, but after looking into it with an open mind, I found a way that works for me and doesn't make me feel like a mindlessly chanting brain-dead hippy.

I use a form of Zen. 

thanks, I've been looking into methods to control them but they seem to have changed how they happen recently. Before I would get to the severe tremors and pass out for a while but now I'm just not passing out. I'm trying to avoid the news and only look at it once a day. My doc offered me valium but i know far too many people that they became a problem for so I just wont take them. Meditation sounds like it could be what I need instead. Thanks again sir

I hate BAD drivers !!! I was stopped at a red light at an intersection. I looked at my rear view mirror and saw 1 of the new Porsche Carreras coming fast. He came up to the light,touched the brakes,( his brake lights blinked), and he sped right thru. If there were any cars coming from either side,he would have hit them. At the speed he was going, there would be serious injuries. I could not see the driver as the windows were too dark. I wish I could have gotten his plate number, or if the police were around. My wife said she wished he would wrap it around a tree.

It would serve him right.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:06 PM, stitchdup said:

thanks, I've been looking into methods to control them but they seem to have changed how they happen recently. Before I would get to the severe tremors and pass out for a while but now I'm just not passing out. I'm trying to avoid the news and only look at it once a day. My doc offered me valium but i know far too many people that they became a problem for so I just wont take them. Meditation sounds like it could be what I need instead. Thanks again sir

there is free meditation style music on youtube called binaurals that may be helpful to you if you don't mind using headphones or earbuds, there are times when I listen to one and just zone out for a while.

8 hours ago, gbdolfans said:

I hate BAD drivers !!! I was stopped at a red light at an intersection. I looked at my rear view mirror and saw 1 of the new Porsche Carreras coming fast. He came up to the light,touched the brakes,( his brake lights blinked), and he sped right thru. If there were any cars coming from either side,he would have hit them. At the speed he was going, there would be serious injuries. I could not see the driver as the windows were too dark. I wish I could have gotten his plate number, or if the police were around. My wife said she wished he would wrap it around a tree.

It would serve him right.

See it all the time with different cars and trucks. About a year or two ago a lady running late ran her Mercedes SUV under the rear of the bud and killed her son  and she lived. Imagine the guilt.  My dad always said if your late don’t make it worse by speeding you will be late any way...

I needed to get a smog check done on my '98 Durango. Here in Cali they either send you for a nice-n-easy quick test, or a more difficult one done at certain "STAR" smog stations. They are more expensive and harder to find. I discovered by accident that there are 2 sets of smog testing equipment-one for 99 and newer vehicles, and one for 98 and older. Stations in my upwardly mobile area are phasing out the older equipment when it needs repair. Of the 8 stations I called, 2 were able to do the job. I was preparing myself for bad news since the smog guy spent 45 minutes on it. But it did pass (whew!) so I'm good for 2 more years. But the way the state has handled this smog testing issue is ridiculously irksome. Every other year I being to worry if this is the year it fails.....parts are already getting hard to find. 

10 hours ago, blunc said:

there is free meditation style music on youtube called binaurals that may be helpful to you if you don't mind using headphones or earbuds, there are times when I listen to one and just zone out for a while.

thankyou sir, I've bookmarked it