Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get From Harbor Freight For The Workbench?

So what modeling tools have you bought at Harbor Freight? What were the "Good Deals"? Which ones were Duds?

Good Deals:

1.) 6" Digital Calipers ($14.99 current sale price) - Just make sure they're off when stored

2.) Safety Glasses (Couple of Bucks, Eyesight Priceless)

3.) Small Ratchet Bar Clamps ($2.00)

4.) 30 Peice Mini Drill Bit Set - sharp out of the package!

5.) DeLuxe Airbrush (Decent Starter Double Action Airbrush for the money)

6.) Dental Picks and Carving Tools

7.) Airbrush Compressor (Paid around $50 a while ago, still in use as back up to a higher $$$ Name Brand Compressor)

What else have you found at Harbor Freight that you use on your modeling workbench?

So what modeling tools have you bought at Harbor Freight? What were the "Good Deals"? Which ones were Duds?

Good Deals:

1.) 6" Digital Calipers ($14.99 current sale price) - Just make sure they're off when stored

2.) Safety Glasses (Couple of Bucks, Eyesight Priceless)

3.) Small Ratchet Bar Clamps ($2.00)

4.) 30 Peice Mini Drill Bit Set - sharp out of the package!

5.) DeLuxe Airbrush (Decent Starter Double Action Airbrush for the money)

6.) Dental Picks and Carving Tools

7.) Airbrush Compressor (Paid around $50 a while ago, still in use as back up to a higher $$$ Name Brand Compressor)

What else have you found at Harbor Freight that you use on your modeling workbench?

Take the battery out of the calipers if you aren't going to use it for a while. Someone told me to do that when I got mine. At first I didn't take the advice seriously, but after going through the first battery without having used the thing too much, I now take the battery out.

Safety goggles (or glasses) should go without saying, but then again we ought to be reminded every so often.

The drill bits are okay for plastic, wood, and some metals.

I've got a couple of the airbrushes (the cheapest one looks like a Badger knockoff); haven't tried them yet but they should be okay.

The miniature files are okay for plastic. Lately I've been using the "diamond grit" ones; I've taken a liking to those. I've found super small ones on eBay.

The dental picks and such are okay, but I can get those at automotive swap meets, cheaper and a wider selection.

The sanding sponges come in handy once in a while. Not for fine work, but they are alright for knocking down excess filler.

Not absolutely everything is offshore stuff. A while back, I saw Maglite flashlights there, and those were still made here (I checked the packaging). Some products will have "Made in USA" with an asterisk, and in fine print you'll find something along the lines of "refers to packaging only". Not the Maglites, at least the ones I've seen lately.

I did buy one of those wooden tool chests (one with the lined drawers and the fussy little hardware all over it). I used a coupon, it was pretty cheap. Around here the flea market vendors want stupid money for beat-up old ones.

But I did break my own rule about what to buy or not to buy at Snap-On East (Harbor Freight), and bought an air compressor there. Not a hobby type one, but a bigger one. Never again, the thing leaks oil. When I get my garage built, I'll buy a better one. But then again, half of the other stores out there are probably selling the same products, with a different brand name and a higher price.

I have all the same you have, Skip, as well as:

• The various air brushes and a touch-up sprayer
  • Mini-Chop Saw, mini-grinder, and mini-table saw ~ all mounted to the workbench
  • Magnetic tool holder strips
  • Various mini pliers, clamps, and blades
  • Air tanks
  • Wheel dollies (for rolling my 1:1 Model AA around)
  • Tons of air quick-release fittings
  • Air line filters
  • Casters
  • And a lot more I can't think of at the moment
  • Sport chairs for Good-Guys events

I have all the same you have, Skip, as well as:

• The various air brushes and a touch-up sprayer
  • Mini-Chop Saw, mini-grinder, and mini-table saw ~ all mounted to the workbench
  • Magnetic tool holder strips
  • Various mini pliers, clamps, and blades
  • Air tanks
  • Wheel dollies (for rolling my 1:1 Model AA around)
  • Tons of air quick-release fittings
  • Air line filters
  • Casters
  • And a lot more I can't think of at the moment
  • Sport chairs for Good-Guys events

Photo's of the Model AA ??????

What I've bought for model work...

• Their little tankless air compressor. Nice.

• Their 2-gal. compressor. Returned it. Out-of-your-mind, no excuse loud.

• Air connectors.

• Favorite buy... their el-cheapo $8 dremel. Comes with some useable bits and is low torque. Worthless for much more than model building but perfect for hobby work.

• Free flashlights. Use them for accent lighting when photographing my models.

• Tweezer set.

• Clamps

The next bigger model vise they sell is quite nice. It rotates 360 degrees around two axis's and has a small anvil on the back end.

I have a bench shear for metal sheet, a 12 ton shop press and lots of bins, magnetic strips, and other handy stuff.

I picked up one of those cheapo Dremel type tools when it was on sale, and I could use a coupon on top of the sale price. It's single-speed, so I can plug it into a Dremel speed control and slow it down to a crawl. Even on the lowest speed, the Dremel tools sometimes run faster than I'd like them to.

I've got one of the dremel tools. Overall, I like it for the size, since it's about half the length of the regular ones. I've gotten a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight. Their stuff isn't bad, and it's hard to beat the prices. My next purchase is going to be one of their speed controls. I've been using a little battery powered moto-tool I picked up from a garage kits site, but it's already worn out and wont hold the bits anymore.

All American tools to work on the Chinese manufactured revell kits ...

The tools will be around for a long time if you get good ones. The kit isn't on my bench that long. Yes you can get American tools if you look around a little, especially on the internet. If I can't get American, I buy Japanese, German or Swiss. Since the quality of the work is to some degree dependent on the quality of the tool ,it makes sense to get the best you can afford. Your Harbor Freight calipers will never have the feel or longevity of my Starret's(The ones made in Massachusetts, not their Chinese ones) and if they ever get damaged, I can get them refurbished for less than the cost of a new set.

I have been buying tools for the last 50 years and I have bought a lot of junk that wound up in the yard sale or trash can. Ultimately, I paid more for multiples of cheap tools buying and replacing them than I would have if I had spent the money on a good one the first time around. Talk to any old craftsman and he will tell you the same thing.

Edited by Pete J.

Pete-

I agree on country of origin for tools.

I have 2 dial calipers. One is a Mitutoyo I got for free from work, back around 1990. It still works fine. It does get dusty on my work bench, so I bought a Starret off Craigslist to use in machining.

Models aren't tools.

those who buy cheap, buy often.

but HF has been improving in the past decade. even my friends in the real world swear their quality is approaching, fast approaching, well made "made in America" (no guarantee of anything anymore if you ask me) tools and are no longer the "one use if youre lucky" quality of the earlier times. I'm sure there is still junk on their shelves but for instance I've used a 12Vdc compressor I bought there (don't think its available anymore unfortunately) to air up my tires after deflating them for 4X4 travel at least 20 times a year, never failed me and is used way beyond its claimed capacity most of the time. I use their 5 gallon (?) tank 120v compressor all the time and no problems whatsoever. jack stands, hand carts, floor jacks, shovels...all bought there with minimal expectations and they all still work and are used nearly every week if not day. motion detector based lights, and alarms, even got a super strong center stand kind of stool thing for my motorcycle, works like it was made by Yamaha. bought that pseudo dremel back some years ago and it still works fine though I prefer the feel of the real thing more. in fact that is the one thing I find consistently deficient: the actual ergonomics of the tool is sometimes off compared to a more expensive (brand-name) model. like the grips are twisted a few degrees off where they should be. or the switch is slightly difficult to push or located at an inconvenient place vs the brand-name version. or even the packaging: incredibly difficult to remove sometimes (maybe due to the ghetto nature of the stores and their locations, at least around here). makes stuff harder to steal if you cannot get it out of its package.

next time I am there I will have to look for some LEDs on magnets...sound great for the paint booth.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

Those cheap little plastic spring clamps- I probably have 30 of them. They're awesome. 25 foot Goodyear air hose for my big garage compressor. Various little files. A bunch of Dremel accessories. When it comes to things like my airbrushes and hobby compressor I go with the name brand (mostly), but some things make more sense to buy cheap.