Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Today when I was sitting on co-driver's seat in my friend's car, I saw this Pontiac Convertible. It has 540 Cid Big Block and it runs high 10 second ETs on 1/4 Mile so it's pretty good considering that it's definitely not a lightweight car.:D I was even able to take a picture through the car window while we drove past it.

Olds Starfire GT--you know, the mid/late '70s Monza with Olds name on it. I thought all those either rusted away or just fell apart decades ago, but someone was apparently driving one to work. (I drove a '77 Skyhawk--same basic car--for several years. Nice little car till things like the front suspension started falling off of it.)

Olds Starfire GT--you know, the mid/late '70s Monza with Olds name on it. I thought all those either rusted away or just fell apart decades ago, but someone was apparently driving one to work. (I drove a '77 Skyhawk--same basic car--for several years. Nice little car till things like the front suspension started falling off of it.)

My first Brand New Car was a Pontiac Sunbird. The guy I shared a house with at the time totaled it and the Opel Gt he hit with it. I liked the Car, 321 V-6, 5 Speed Manual. Fun car really.

Driving down Wade Hampton Blvd. in Greenville, SC today. (On my way to Ollie's big kit sale!)  Way up in front of me, saw a little white car with blue stripes on the trunk...

And it turned out to be a Shelby Cobra with the rare factory hardtop in place.  Don't know if it was the real thing or a clone, but it sure looked good and sounded better!

http://www.brightonmotorsports.com/sites/default/files/vehicles/cars/available/shelby-cobra-replica-roadster-1966_1.jpg

Went to an estate sale in town on Sunday to scope out an '01 Eldorado (sealed bids, top bid was $5100 on a car that would Blue Book for about $4200 plus it needed brakes, crank and O2 sensors and a fuel tank sending unit - FAIL); in a neighbor's driveway was this nice Mustang:

Looked at the other side, and the missing rocker trim revealed...

...a nice big rust hole. Welcome to Illinois.

Driving down Wade Hampton Blvd. in Greenville, SC today.

Totally unrelated, but my great grandfather, who was born and died in South Carolina was named Wade Hampton Jackson.  Had to look up who Wade Hampton was to find out why he was named after him.  Kind of neat, especially since they lived about an hour from Greenville.

That is kind of neat. Thanks for responding.  SC has many streets, schools, buildings and stuff named for Wade Hampton.  The state even detached part of Beaufort County and re-named it Hampton County. (Thanks, Google!)  I live about a hour from Greenville myself, going north.

That is kind of neat. Thanks for responding.  SC has many streets, schools, buildings and stuff named for Wade Hampton.  The state even detached part of Beaufort County and re-named it Hampton County. (Thanks, Google!)  I live about a hour from Greenville myself, going north.

I read about him on Wiki and he definitely sounds like a guy who would not be accepted well in today's society.  However, I am guessing that my great grandfather was named after him because he was the governor when my great grandfather was born.

I've seen enough Bentlys, Porsches, Lambos, and Ferraris running through Geneva and St. Charles that they don't call out to me any more.  Now a couple times in the past month, I've seen what should be an early FWD, late 80's (possibly '89) Olds's 98 sedan in way to good a shape to be a local car as well as being driven by a young lady with a couple other young female passengers, all of which were young enough that I almost wonder if this car had belonged to a great grandmother or aunt that lived far enough south that is hasn't seen much salt in the last 25 plus years.