Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

14 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I worked with a guy in Monroe that road his bike all year one year. After a snow while at work he dumped his bike twice in the patking lot at work. He was a little stubborn. He said he was gping to do it and he did. He did drive his truck a few times after that snowy day. As soon as the roads were clear he was back on it. 

🤪🙄

Many years ago, I was into Dirt Bikes and lived in the mountains and for some reason thought I could ride my motorcycle with its knobby tires to work on the plowed roads. A couple of days of that and almost wearing out a good pair of work boots using my legs like training wheels I soon realized my folly. Like the old saying "The Good Lord looks out for drunks and little boys".   

2 hours ago, espo said:

Many years ago, I was into Dirt Bikes and lived in the mountains and for some reason thought I could ride my motorcycle with its knobby tires to work on the plowed roads. A couple of days of that and almost wearing out a good pair of work boots using my legs like training wheels I soon realized my folly. Like the old saying "The Good Lord looks out for drunks and little boys".   

Growing up in coastal Texas, I bought a 1980 Suzuki PE400. I mostly raced around on the beaches down past the 4WD areas, but one day my friend asked how fast the bike was. We got up on the access highway when it was empty and he took off in his Camaro. I whizzed past him on that bike going what he later told me was 68 mph. He said I looked cool laying flat on that huge 4-1/2 gallon desert gas tank, but to be honest, I was just trying to keep the bike under me. Those chunky knobby tires were definitely not road friendly. That's only one of the dumb things I did on that bike. I look back on that period of time between 16 and 22 and am amazed I survived.

Visited my buddy's shop today.

Love this squarebody.

image.jpeg

And this was parked out front. It's a clone, but still gorgeous. They have a yellow one available too. The yellow one is unique in that it's a REAL yellow AAR and has a column shift.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Visited my buddy's shop today.

Love this squarebody.

image.jpeg

And this was parked out front. It's a clone, but still gorgeous. They have a yellow one available too. The yellow one is unique in that it's a REAL yellow AAR and has a column shift.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Why would anyone have a column change on a car of that type?

steve

1 hour ago, Earl Marischal said:

Why would anyone have a column change on a car of that type?

steve

Just one of those wierd obscure options... probably very few built that way.  Similarly, I've seen pics of '67-69 Camaros with column shift and bench seats..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Just one of those wierd obscure options... probably very few built that way.  Similarly, I've seen pics of '67-69 Camaros with column shift and bench seats..

Many years ago, I bought a '69 Camaro from the original owner. It was my impression that the car was a normal dealer inventory car and not a special-order car. The engine was the base 307 with a 2bbl and a Powergluide transmission. While it had bucket seats it didn't have a consol and the shifter was on the column. It is my understanding that the consol was an extra cost option and that it would include the floor shifter regardless of transmission choice. I think that most dealers would have ordered a Camaro for inventory with the bucket seats and a console for appearance sake alone. I have only seen a handful of Camaros that had the column shift and only one of those with the base 3-speed manual. The bench seat option of the time was little more than two bucket seats connected together with a center fold down arm rest. This was a time when cars were ordered like an Alacarte meal in that there were very few if any option packages as we know them in today's cars. 

22 hours ago, sfhess said:

A current-model Bentley Continental.  Later, a matt purple wrapped Bentayga with Lakers logos on the doors.  The license frame was from Beverly Hills Pagani

And a cybertruck.