Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Was unseasonably cool today in northern California for this time of year. Had a bit of rain. Air was totally calm. Annoying neighbors' yappy dog seems to have disappeared, hopefully eaten by a coyote. Too cold for the other three neighbors' grandchildren to be screaming and thrashing in their pools. Got a new bar-height outdoor table to commerate 33 years together and 30 years in the house. Nice dinner of semi-homemade spaghetti, salad, and wine outside.

PXL_20230607_023924019.thumb.jpg.c2a3ffee70138548f49cfab9325ebbf5.jpg

Edited by Rodent
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. Hard to find those qualities in older "experienced" guys too.

Last self-styled "fabricator" the other shop hired tried to make a trans mount from old rusty exhaust tubing hammered flat, bent, and brazed.

Geez. 🤢

It is.

"Last self-styled "fabricator" the other shop hired tried to make a trans mount from old rusty exhaust tubing hammered flat, bent, and brazed."

That's scary.

My new backyard toy was delivered and installed today...pretty slick.  Bluetooth stereo, a remote control, 43 jets.   Plan to use it year round to relax...  I think I'll enjoy this more than a pool (though I miss my pool from AZ, may get an above ground pool eventually). 

IMG-0069.jpg

On 6/7/2023 at 2:11 AM, porschercr said:

It is.

"Last self-styled "fabricator" the other shop hired tried to make a trans mount from old rusty exhaust tubing hammered flat, bent, and brazed."

That's scary.

Defies logic, too. It's a fairly well equipped shop...Mig and oxyacetylene welding rigs, a sheetmetal brake, bandsaw, cutoff saw, drill press, Bridgeport mill (mine), plenty of vises, clamps, and just about everything you'd need to do average fabrication work...plus a decent stock of sheet steel and tube.

Still, the thing he made looked like something you'd find after a bomb went off.

Double scary part is that the shop manager didn't realize we couldn't let something like that out the door, even if it had actually functioned...especially on a pretty expensive vintage 1st gen Bronco (the crossmember was for a C6 conversion).

Good news is that they trust my judgement, so I raised hello, took the job over and did it right. That was 2019. It's still on the road.

32 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Defies logic, too. It's a fairly well equipped shop...Mig and oxyacetylene welding rigs, a sheetmetal brake, bandsaw, cutoff saw, drill press, Bridgeport mill (mine), plenty of vises, clamps, and just about everything you'd need to do average fabrication work...plus a decent stock of sheet steel and tube.

Still, the thing he made looked like something you'd find after a bomb went off.

Double scary part is that the shop manager didn't realize we couldn't let something like that out the door, even if it had actually functioned...especially on a pretty expensive vintage 1st gen Bronco (the crossmember was for a C6 conversion).

Good news is that they trust my judgement, so I raised hello, took the job over and did it right. That was 2019. It's still on the road.

Amazing that the shop manager was going to let it out the door.

Glad you raised hello, and did it right. Even better its still on the road.

• Like 1

I'll be working on the last two of two dozen built model cars today that only need minor reassembly. Both will need the kit bashing treatment but I have suitable replacement parts on hand. After that, Who knows.

Edited by John M.
  • Like 1

Maybe this is weird, but I'm 41 years old and I don't recall ever having a milkshake. Ever. Maybe way back in my childhood but if so I have no recollection whatsoever. 

Today on lunch break I hit McDonald's for the first time in I don't know how many years and I thought, why not, let's celebrate Grimace's birthday with one of those meals that includes the purple shake. (I got the McNuggets with said meal instead of the Big Mac if you were curious)

Out of everything today, that freaking purple milkshake made everything else going on just a bit more tolerable. I think I "get it" now. 🤣 Regarding beverages this world could use more milkshake and less Monster. 🤣

• Like 2

Wife was cutting down the honeysuckle not seeing the bald faced hornets nest in the corner of the garage window and got stung three times in rapid succession. She is fine but wasn't going near the garage until it was gone. Called the local exterminator and they couldn't be out for a couple days.  Tech called 15 minutes into the four hour window.  No PPE, just laid on the ground with a fogger on a long pole and stuck it into the nest. Waited a few minutes and sprayed the one that are now not too happy their home was poisoned.  Grabbed a long scrapper on a stick and took down the nest and bagged it up.  He said he couldn't charge me $100 for that little job (the nest was about the size of a youth basketall) and only charged me $70!  I gave him a $20 tip to grab lunch.  The company has about 250 goggle reviews and a 4.9 rating.  He said they do better from that than the $5,000 ad they used to do in the phone book! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Maybe this is weird, but I'm 41 years old and I don't recall ever having a milkshake. Ever.

Well, I'm 66 and never had a chocolate milk shake. Many other flavors all my life but not chocolate.

I like shakes...I get a McDonalds strawberry shake once in a while.   My all-time favorite flavor, though, was a peanut butter shake from a long-gone NE Ohio convenience store chain (Goshen Dairy) when I was growing up...don't think I've seen anything like that since.     As far as chains, Shake Shack has good shakes (and burgers).

Late September we're flying in to Nashville to drive down to Huntsville to see my wife's youngest daughter. Looking around I saw that Third Man Records in Nashville does tours on Friday only and just a few blocks away is The Johnny Cash Museum. I mentioned to my wife we could spend a couple days in Nashville before we fly home on Sunday. She said she'd talk to her daughter about it but she didn't see why not.

Well, her daughter said she couldn't get the time off, so "No". My wife pointed out that I take all of our vacations around visiting my wife's family and have for years...and for once we were spending a couple of days doing something I wanted...

She never stops surprising me.

Maybe we'll hit The Patsy Cline Museum too.

• Like 2

Went out for a bit. A band my wife loves was playing at the 40th Birthday of McMenamins, a local pub "chain".

Garcia Birthday Band...my wife was a serious deadhead in the mid-to-late 80s.

First time she's honestly smiled since she found out about her son passing.  That alone makes me happy!

20230617_195002.thumb.jpg.871be8f01c88cc41ac3a87311d67f947.jpg20230617_204246.thumb.jpg.2dd619b319274b87fb52f2bb2f938b6e.jpg

• Like 5

My local record/toy shop has started stocking tamiya kits after the airfix stuff has sold well. The girl behind the counter was surprised at how fast the car kits have been selling compared to the army stuff. I bought yet another tamiya bug then offered to sell them upgrade parts for the kits they have in stock. I've also offered to come in and help out with the ordering as she said she wasn't sure what to get when she ordered so she just got a selection. Up until now they have just been sending the distributor a pic of whats left on the shelves.Since we get a lot of cruise liners during the summer i suggested putting together a basic kit pack with glue, cheap knive, airfix kits acrylic paints and a couple of brushes aimed right at the passengers and they have sold well for them and got rid of some kits that weren't selling. I also got a pretty nice tax refund so its been a good day so far.

• Like 3

Today was the last day for the school kids so I'll be kicking back from driving my school bus until a week from next Monday when summer camp starts up. (I work for a family owned company) In addition, two dusty model cars that are rebuilders arrived this morning in the mail after I scored both on the cheap off EBay. Both are designated as my next projects.

Edited by John M.

My movers moved the furniture today, from the old house to the new house.  Biggest aspects of the move done, still have to clear out the garage, shed and basement of the old house and clean it up to sell.   And a lot of boxes to unpack at the new house. 

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 4:57 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yesterday was the First Day of Summer in the Northern Hemisphere, the Solstice, and the longest day of the year.

Days will now be getting shorter again until the whole cycle reboots on Dec. 21.

Summer Solstice 2023: The First Day of Summer

Great picture Bill!