Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always buy old Proctor Silex coffee makers at estate sales because they have an aluminum heating plate. The new coffee makers have plates that are painted black and my water just eats them up. They last about a year for us.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Cheapest coffee maker I could find within a couple of miles, to replace my old, faithful friend of 25 years who went to the great Starbucks in the sky early this AM.

image.jpeg.c8cbf49d52c043434907a2c814850ab9.jpeg The coffee maker is dead. Long live the coffee maker.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Cheapest coffee maker I could find within a couple of miles, to replace my old, faithful friend of 25 years who went to the great Starbucks in the sky early this AM.

image.jpeg.c8cbf49d52c043434907a2c814850ab9.jpeg The coffee maker is dead. Long live the coffee maker.

I've had one of those for several years, and it's held up well so far. (Hope I don't jinx it!) It's relatively stupid, which I consider an advantage. I don't bother to tell it what time it is.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I always buy old Proctor Silex coffee makers at estate sales because they have an aluminum heating plate. The new coffee makers have plates that are painted black and my water just eats them up. They last about a year for us.

Yup...the one that just died is Proctor Silex. Good machine. I never really expected it to last as long as it did, and of course there's no preventative maintenance you can do to them to prolong their lives. Far as I know, there's nothing in it but an illuminated ON-OFF switch and a heating element, though I seem to remember hearing it click sometimes, like maybe it had a simple thermistor/transistor controlled physical relay, or maybe a bi-metal reed-switch, to control the temp...but probably not.

Just out of curiosity I'll most likely open it up to see what failed. The ON light still works, but nobody's home.  

It may seem silly, but having a faithful mechanical servant die after 25 years makes me a little sad.  :(

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup...the one that just died is Proctor Silex. Good machine. I never really expected it to last as long as it did, and of course there's no preventative maintenance you can do to them to prolong their lives. Far as I know, there's nothing in it but an illuminated ON-OFF switch and a heating element, though I seem to remember hearing it click sometimes, like maybe it had a simple thermistor/transistor controlled physical relay, or maybe a bi-metal reed-switch, to control the temp...but probably not.

Just out of curiosity I'll most likely open it up to see what failed. The ON light still works, but nobody's home.  

It may seem silly, but having a faithful mechanical servant die after 25 years makes me a little sad.  :(

Oh I agree Bill. They become like family. LOL

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Far as I know, there's nothing in it but an illuminated ON-OFF switch and a heating element, though I seem to remember hearing it click sometimes, like maybe it had a simple thermistor/transistor controlled physical relay, or maybe a bi-metal reed-switch, to control the temp...but probably not.

Maybe a level switch?  Per UL it should have one.

• Like 1

The wife just retired her Proctor Silex kettle that she’s had since the early ‘80s. It was actually still working, but getting rusty under the lid/handle. She loves the new one with auto shut-off, but I’ll bet it won’t last 40+ years...but then neither will we.😬 I have about a 15 year old Keurig for my coffee. It has a little basket for grounds so I don’t have to use any K-cups.🙂

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Maybe a level switch?  Per UL it should have one.

Good point (though I don't know why it would activate unless we were having an earthquake)...and possibly something else I can repurpose if it's dead-dead...as in burned out heating element.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am not a coffee snob by any stretch of the imagination, but I rejected the Mr. Coffee (etc.) coffee makers a long time ago. The first cup tastes good, but after the leftovers have been kept at 190 degrees or so (I have measured the temp) the second cup just tastes burned to me. I switched to a French press and just made one or two cups at a time. Now I am using a pour-over system and just make one cup if for me or two if we both want some. Additional cups are easy to make if you want seconds. You can heat the water in a tea kettle on the stove, but we have an electric one that plugs in. No moving parts, and I throw the used grounds on the azaleas and camellias.

Glass-Coffee-Maker-Pour-Over-34-Ounce-1000ml-with-Coffee-Dripper-Filter-and-Handle-Lead-Free_498458d-e-4952-b705-0396bb8853bf.8adce15a9d678ec7caf275a32c09723f.webp.93b296093a438a0ff98a9d51d784bc87.webp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Treated myself to a new mattress after the 2 year old one decided to completely collapse. best nights sleep I've had in ages and I'm sure i woke up taller today, lol

Wow, two years?  That’s pretty bad.  Glad you got something better.  Sleep is so important.  
I don’t get enough, but it’s not the mattress in my case.

My '92 extended-cab Silverado ate a cam follower a while back, and damaged the block. 

I've been looking at options, and though I have enough parts to build a nice run-forever 350, I'm kinda busy.

I just made a $1200 deal on a fairly low-mileage take-out engine and 4L60E from a friend's '93 he stuffed an LS into.

As my Silverado has a fairly recently quality rebuilt 700R4 (a non-electronic 4L60E, basically), I'll probably keep the existing gearbox and swap all the top-end EFI stuff so as not to get into oddball electronic nightmares in the short term.

The 4L60 can operate just fine, thanks, behind a carbureted engine (with a stand-alone computer to run the trans), and this may be the long-term way forward, as the OEM EFI is coming up on the failure-is-inevitable part of its lifetime.

EDIT: Hmmmm. I don't WANT any computers in the truck. I want stone-ax reliable, fix-it-beside-the-road simplicity. So I'm sure I can sell both the 700R4 and the 4L60 for enough folding green to buy a nice manual gearbox, flywheel, clutch, etc. Yup...I think we have a plan. Probably can squeeze a limited-slip diff out too (and why ANYBODY would buy a new truck without a limited-slip diff is beyond my comprehension). :)

My '89 GMC fleet-stripper 305, 5-speed longbed has been running happily on a 60-year-old Rochester 2GC since its injection died years ago, with fuel mileage and drivability as good or better than with the OEM EFI, so I kinda have some experience with going to a carb on these older trucks...though the Silverado will most likely eventually get an air-gap manifold, a little 650 4-bbl Holley, block-hugger headers, and a low-end "RV" cam.

Or I could just buy a new $40,000 truck. Nah. 

Of course, the way the prices are going on the OBS Chevy trucks, by the time she's running again, she might be worth as much as a new one. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...