Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

14 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Got this nice AMT ‘65 Mustang 2+2 promo as a Christmas gift from my sister.  

IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

I have one of those. Mine's not in nearly as nice a shape as yours, though...yours looks MINT! Mine's a future resto project...I hope. Great score and Merry Christmas! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

High-quality reprint of both volumes of the factory '63 Oldsmobile service manual.

My parents bought a '63 dynamic 88 convert new, and I drove it a fair bit in high school. It got away after my mother's death in the early '80s, but I tracked it down in Texas and brought it up here in 1995. Solid 120,000 mile car, never wrecked, but the engine is seized from sitting, it's missing some parts now, and needs a full resto...beginning with going through the engine. Already have a hotter cam, new lifters, rocker arms and shafts, rings, valves, a 3X2 manifold, rebuildable 2GC carbs, spare distributor to convert to HEI guts, and a set of header flanges; still need a manual gearbox flywheel and vintage Wilcap bellhousing. The car has the original Roto-Hydramatic 375, also known as the "Slim Jim", which wasn't great when it was new, and parts are getting scarce. When I drove the car in HS, I loved it except for the slushbox. Just about any tranny swap in these cars requires substantial tunnel mods, so I figure I might as well go for a manual box to make it more fun than a TH350 would be (to me, anyway). The single-2bbl 394 is a semi-bulletproof 280 HP torque monster (430 lb/ft) with a factory 10.25:1 compression ratio, and the 3X2 setup, cam, and headers will give it enough additional grunt to be entertaining.  B)

image.png.a5a5f463e0a5946b73e7147ad3374680.png     image.png.9ccab3beb8da43883cf0664b1a3c9a2c.png      image.png.15a6945b24563da371e74347ebc29014.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My basement was really getting out of hand, so we got some shelving.  This is phase one of two I think.  After tax time, I order another set of four.

About half of them are reserved for my stash, which is currently in boxes.  I plan to set it all up like many others have done, so I can actually see what I’ve got.

Really looking forward to having my own private hobby shop!🤟

IMG_3791.jpeg

I recently got a couple of wrist watches. I just got this new watch. It's an Invicta. I never thought I would get an Invicta as they don't have the best reputation. But why should I be a watch snob? I don't have real high end watches to begin with. My best most expensive watch is a Revue Thommen Airspeed Automatic (You can see it in a couple of posts above in my watch winder post). This watch only cost me about $58 (I noticed it just went up to $65). Anyway, it's a nice looking watch and I see Invicta does have many good looking watches in spite of all the gaudy ones that they have. So here it is.

IMG-2010.jpg

And just yesterday I got this new watch. It's a cheap watch that I got from Aliexpress for about $18. But it's a unique watch that I like. The numbers are on rollers like the old gas station pumps used in the 70's and earlier. It is a quartz movement. You can get other watches with the same exact movement in them only in a nicer case/bracelet so you can spend over $100 but I liked this instead. Even on Amazon and eBay this watch will run from $33 to $36.

IMG-2026.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Two inline desiccant air driers for my big-boy primer gun, and several graduated mixing cups.

I've finally finished all the custom metal work and fabrication of the engine management and trans computer-interface bay, and the access door for same, on the '66 Chevelle dash. 

Tomorrow AM I'm shooting it in the booth, in Medallion dark gray DTAM primer/surfacer...which I bought Tuesday.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 2/22/2024 at 5:54 PM, atomicholiday said:

...Really looking forward to having my own private hobby shop!🤟

I enjoy it, though all I do lately is add to the stock and take something out to look at occasionally.

Now what I need is the free time to build a model...but gainful employment is good too. And they pay me to do stuff that's just as much fun as building models...but the results run.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I enjoy it, though all I do lately is add to the stock and take something out to look at occasionally.

Now what I need is the free time to build a model...but gainful employment is good too. And they pay me to do stuff that's just as much fun as building models...but the results run.  :D

Basically you’re just building bigger more expensive models.👍
That’s kinda why I (and I’m sure many others) are so into model cars.  I could never have all that I want in the real thing.  But with kits, anything is possible.  

Besides, I’d have to get stronger shelves if they were 1:1.😁

• Haha 1

Got some 3ft tall sign boards done up with the cover and article page of my Nova for at at shows, first one is only a month away and it’s looking like it’ll be in the project class... 

DB9CCBCC-FD6E-4035-8167-A52590EF15B0.jpeg

FE4029D8-3CC7-44DA-B2B1-34AF00780832.jpeg

• Like 1

A new pack of my favorite notepads:

IMG_9953.thumb.jpeg.dbefb69a2a2eedad494cb0ad7ff67c56.jpeg

Some fun facts from the rear cover:

IMG_9954.thumb.jpeg.c32119d8f4147ffc68d67dd24a3e8e6a.jpeg

And this week I also picked up a display case…$40, because the light didn’t work:

IMG_9784.thumb.jpeg.b2bdc4e2e66faf8f62e5e4081f50d518.jpeg

Plot twist…the light does work if you turn the switch to the ‘on’ position:

IMG_9781.thumb.jpeg.3777f26dc2e674b539d5c6c3cf9cd9a0.jpeg

Plus this cool old box that took my fancy:

IMG_9746.thumb.jpeg.0fd5cceccd623c74d65f6a57bc052ca5.jpeg

• Like 3

Picked up a steering wheel for my 92 RS Camaro project at the Charlotte Auto Fair swap meet.I have seen a few of these installed in a few third generation Camaros.They were used in  the early 90s Cavalier/Lumina Z24 cars.Im pretty sure the base models had this steering wheel too IIRC.The ones on that auction site are going for stupid prices.I found this one pretty cheap plus it looks better than the old torn up airbag steering wheel I have.Other than being dirty,it should clean up pretty good plus it’s cheap way to upgrade my steering wheel plus it has the cool Chevy emblem😆I stopped by my buddy’s house after the Auto Fair to pick up a 350 4 bolt main long block from him.i have all the other parts but they are not pictured.He was going to use it but found a 454 he wanted to build up.I will probably end up building a 383 stroker with it later on this year.

IMG_3185.jpeg

IMG_3183.jpeg

Edited by catpack68
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:04 PM, JollySipper said:

Picked up this 1:1 hamster kit today! It's predecorated gray and white tutone........... It's motorized, but I'm not sure where the batteries go........

Guys! He's already got the run-about ball figured out, and he took a treat from my hand today............ When you get one from a pet store versus a home-grown one, it takes more to tame them, as they aren't handled much at the store..........