Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cal Drag Combo

Didnt the above trailer come with just about every MPC Impala and Caprice kit, other than the convertibles, from '68 on? 

Scott

It was in the '68 kits, then skipped the next few years and reappeared in the '73 Caprice.  It stayed in the big Chevy through '76.  Besides the big Chevies, it was used in the Mako Shark (only the original, not any of the derivative versions) and the Carl Casper Turbo Shark (a custom '63-'67 style Corvette that used the Mako Shark chassis).

Has this trailer ever been re-issued?  This looks like newer style plastic.

AMT Trailer

That is a reissue trailer, probably taken out of a Fireball 500 kit.  Some eBay sellers have packaged those trailers separately to give the impression that they were having them manufactured.  The same deal was happening with the little tractor in the MPC Indy turbine car kit.

Fellas,

I'll bet that Cartograph could make a great set of decals to go into a Round 2 kit of the FORD Drag Team Combo pictured above !!! After all, Round 2 has the molds for all of the vehicles in the photo !

dDragTeamHubertPlattRandyPayne-vi.jpg

Edited by Pete L.

I'll bet that Cartograph could make a great set of decals to go into a Round 2 kit of the FORD Drag Team Combo pictured above !!! After all, Round 2 has the molds for all of the vehicles in the photo !

If the car hauler parts are able to be run separately (which I doubt) from the Ford Louisville cab/frame/etc, and if the car hauler bed fits the C-600 stakebed without modification (which I doubt), and if...well, you get my point, and that's ignoring the integral sleeper on the real C-series.

Fellas,

dDragTeamHubertPlattRandyPayne-vi.jpg

I did a two-part article in Model Cars a couple of years ago with a C800 race car transporter and trailer like this.  It does require some kitbashing to pull off.  Recommend you check out the back issues department for the articles if you are considering a project like this............TIM 

• 3 months later...

If the car hauler parts are able to be run separately (which I doubt) from the Ford Louisville cab/frame/etc, and if the car hauler bed fits the C-600 stakebed without modification (which I doubt), and if...well, you get my point, and that's ignoring the integral sleeper on the real C-series.

It's an easy swap, very little mods needed.

I wouldn't call that sleeper integral, it's an add-on.

http://public.fotki.com/fordflashback/125-ford-drag-team-1/1969-c600-drag-team/

IMG_1191-vi.jpg

Ron.....great progress and cool photos, too.

If anyone else is interested in a C800 transporter and trailer project, this general topic was covered in a two-parter article in Model Cars mag about three years ago.  It's not a specific replica like Ron's, but gives you some additional detail on building the base C800 kit and some of the detailing and final assembly.   TIM 

Hmmm. I have this...

july2012003.jpg,

which is a clean unpainted built-up, that I am going to combine with the Replicas and Miniatures "Chevy 6", as the car had no engine.

Or else, I can do the one I built several years ago,

1963NovaModels3_zpsdb083496.jpg

Which is a F&F resin piece, in which I installed a 327 V8/4-speed combo with Halibrands and Blue Streaks from the Revell 32 Highboy. I have a trailer, as well as a '65 Nova "Rat Packer" kit I could team it up with, or I could team it up with a "Boss Nova" wagon.

Thanks Greg for posting this.

AMT used Craftsman kits as the tow cars

JohnG says:

Cal Drag Combo: not beyond the realm of possibility but the trailer would require some backdating at the very least.

Chevelle Drag Team: can’t reissue as the Chevelle Time Machine AWB was modified into the modified stocker. The AWB chassis used under the Chevelle, Olds F-85 and Edsel “funny cars” was not found.

Indy Drag combo: can’t reissue as the Nova wagon was modified into the Boss Nova drag vehicle.

Shelby Drag Team: some comments on trailer, ’68 Shelby missing several original parts.

- See more at: http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/2224-whats-a-hanger-shot/#sthash.HCE40hgS.zEDRxBwW.dpuf

Here is the 1964 Cutlass funny car

HangerShots3.jpg

AMT used Craftsman kits as the tow cars

The '62 Nova Wagon Craftsman kit had a separate hood, but no engine, and the '63 Nova SS convertible had a V8 engine, but 6 cylinder engine emblems on the fenders. The '62 Had a 6 cylinder in it, which will also work with a craftsman wagon.

I still have the gray wagon, which I added a 327/4-speed to it, which was a very nice resin piece from F&F bought many years ago. I sold off the styrene wagon a couple of years ago. I may do a '65 Drag car, with my remaining "Rat Packer kit. I cannot afford the "Cal Race" kit.

Here is the 1964 Cutlass funny car

HangerShots3.jpg

Looks like all the stock parts are there but the body (and glass?). I'd think it would be worth the investment to either convert that body back to stock, or tool up an all-new one.