Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gimme 5 automotive subjects you'd like to see reissued

18 hours ago, Jordan White said:

They must still have the molds for these since they were released after the first run of the USA-1 monster truck kit.

141593-16153-43-pristine.jpg

141596-16153-50-pristine.jpg

I'm going to guess that the long bed version however is gone, but that can be made by mixing the 454SS kit with the monster truck kit.

I built one of each and wish i had bought more at the time. I sure hope Round2 is listening and watching...

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I am thinking the MPC '71(?) Mercury Cougar kit might be reissued within the next few years.

The existing version is a '73 - not much different from the '71/'72 other than the 5-mph front bumper/grille unit (and wrong wheelcovers all three years - maybe Round2 could finally tool up some correct ones?)

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Whatever DID happen to Revells 32 roadster? I got one when they were readily available and then they weren't. 

Never saw them again, unless the Rat Roaster is the same kit.

The Rat Roaster is a different tool. It's similar to the older kit, but it's not the same tool.

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

lin_harl_.jpg

I wouldn't expect to see any more Lindberg (vintage, not the revived '90s+ era Lindberg kits) automotive kits from Round2. I'm guessing they kept the few things they wanted and passed the rest on to Atlantis.

11 hours ago, slusher said:

I built one of each and wish i had bought more at the time. I sure hope Round2 is listening and watching...

Agreed, they are getting harder to find for a decent price. They are always fun to build since they go together well, have plenty of optional parts, and can be built in so many different ways.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

It would have been this kit, MPC 830, from 2015:

mpc830.jpg.647cff24813343665e0ca76feee0241d.jpg

No, it wouldn't be. The MPC "stock" 60 Vette & the flip nose 60 are two slightly different toolings. Both use the chassis, drivetrain & interior from the ancient MPC 56/57 Vette kit, (thus my quotes around "stock"), as does the 57 flip nose Vette. In fact, the 60 Vette flip nose shares the same back body with the 57 flip nose. But, the front ends of the 57 & 60 flip nose are different tooling from the one piece body kits.

The 60 flip nose was first seen in the  70s as Chris Lang's Malco Super Vett, (their spelling, not mine), & the 57 flip nose came about from that. I picked up a sealed "Gas Attack" issue 60 Vette for $20 about 3 years ago. The headlight openings in the nose are molded shut, & there's chrome parts to replace the headlights in it, just like the Malco version. In fact, other than the updated rimes & wider rear slicks, the kit is 100% identical to the Malco version. The stock 60 Vette has fully opened headlight openings, for the chrome buckets to fit in.

I read years ago that the body tooling for those two kits were based on MPC 1/25 scale slot car bodies. I've never been able to verify this for sure, but I do know the tooling is different, as the stock bodied 57 was reissued in 3 kit Vette gift sets with 2 other Vettes both after the release of the 57 flip nose & with the 57 flip nose reissued again after allegedly being tooled back into the stock bodied one. Even with different inserts for the tooling, that's simply not logical in the design of the tooling itself. The real issue is that Round2 isn't very aware of much tooling that hasn't been released since the mid-late 80s, or hasn't been in near constant production since then. That's not their fault, as RC2 managed to royally screw up the tooling inventory, & they're just now really starting to locate some of it.

Edited by StevieB

1 hour ago, StevieB said:

No, it wouldn't be. 

The 60 flip nose was first seen in the  70s as Chris Lang's Malco Super Vett, (their spelling, not mine), & the 57 flip nose came about from that.

Thanks for the correction. I swear there was a dedicated topic for the Malco Super Vett kit here on the forum, but I can't locate it.. Here's the instruction sheet for that kit at least:

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/680/chris-longs-malco-super-vett

2 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I wonder if we sent a link to this thread to Round 2 they would get the hints LOL....

Pretty sure they do pay attention to forums like these.

Look at all the cool stuff they keep finding and releasing.

Plus, do you think they would be investing so much time, effort and money in fixing old kits if they didn't have an inkling that it might sell?

Some folks can criticize them for not making  new tool kits, but they have a niche they've tapped into and they've got vast equity in all that they have. Think about it - Round 2 has reissued kits we never knew still existed and after all these years they still haven't found everything. That's quite a huge inventory!

Doesn't hurt to keep reminding them.

8 hours ago, 440 Dakota said:

yup sure do there was this one also, I wasn't into the IMSA widebody thing and didn't buy them bitd but probably would now, I still think the red pro street issue was the last use of the tooling then it disappeared

MPC-0821-2.jpg.ac3fe2c4deb8550003a02973c6252eba.jpg

That Thunder Z Camaro I dont remember seeing in my teen years. If I had, I probably wasnt interested in it back then. 

That Philippines Taxi is something I'd definitely would do.?

23 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Whatever DID happen to Revells 32 roadster? I got one when they were readily available and then they weren't. 

Never saw them again, unless the Rat Roaster is the same kit.

You're right, that Revell '32 Highboy is really hard to find.  I haunted eBay for months, trying to find it at a decent price.  Last year one popped up, still shrink-wrapped for $15.00 + $7.50 shipping.  Almost broke my wrist hitting the "Buy It Now" button.  It seems there are always plenty of the 3-window and 5-window coupes on eBay, but the '32 Roadster and Sedan kits are a lot more rare.

The Rat Roaster's not the same kit, as others pointed out.  I got one of those when they first came out.  Wanted another for parts, but they disappeared quickly too, after that first issue.  I got lucky and found another Rat Roaster at a local flea market for $10.  Open but still sealed inside.

• Xingu changed the title to Gimme 5 automotive subjects you'd like to see reissued