Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone else experiencing a delay when clicking on a post etc?

Monty

I've got a fairly powerful new computer with very nice memory & CPU specs, and we've always had very reliable service from our provider, but I've noticed that when I'm on here, many of the items I click on to read or look at won't materialize for as long as 30 seconds.  This doesn't happen on any of the other boards (models, 1:1 cars, politics) that I frequent.  Anyone else experiencing that?  

Bonus question for Dave Ambrose: Would it be possible to move the Start New Topic bar to the top of the page?  

I have the exact same problem frequently.

I've pretty much just chalked it up as being one of the "charms" of the forum. :)

Steve

Ditto...  Hopefully that is one of the "foibles" that Dave Ambrose and/or the tech staff of the Forum are working on to fix.

Actually, I read somewhere on the internet (or maybe I heard it from my ex's hairdresser's brother's wife's mechanics pool boy Raoul) it's a training exercise to help modelers build patience by slowing down page loads randomly. Honest. It's for your own good. Really. 

AAARRRGGGHHH!!  I may open a post and it pop immediately, maybe two or three times, then on the next post it will take up to 45 seconds to load.  Really frustrating.  Oh the pain we must suffer to enjoy this hobby.

Actually, I read somewhere on the internet (or maybe I heard it from my ex's hairdresser's brother's wife's mechanics pool boy Raoul) it's a training exercise to help modelers build patience by slowing down page loads randomly. Honest. It's for your own good. Really. 

Wow, and to think I was blaming my gardener Beny. I guess I owe him an apology :o

• 2 months later...

I originally posted this back in May and it soon became obvious that I was not the only one experiencing this problem.  I'm curious why it still hasn't been addressed. 

Edited by Monty

We have tried to address it. The first attempt at updating the software didn't work so we had to restore the old setup. Dave has been working with the software company to workout the bugs. He hopes to try the update again this weekend. FYI - It is not always on our end, so we may not fix all the problems. As I have mentioned before, the signal passes thru a lot of equipment between the host server and our individual computers. Problems can be caused by any number of things along the way, that we have no control over.

The delays are now at least somewhat tolerable. But at least once a day the site will lock my computer up completely, and then close down and reopen the browser. And then it will reopen all the tabs I had open EXCEPT this one.

Could it have something to do with the advertisements? On the weekends when I use my late father's PC at my elderly mother's house, whatever ad blocker it has on it makes the site seemingly run smooth as silk. But the iMac I have here with the identical Firefox browser (no ad blocker) bogs down like crazy sometimes. I haven't seen those obstinate non-opening black rectangles where non-loading ads used to be. When I hit the X on those to stop them when they were there, the pages behaved better.