Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grab those bargains off those racks... (HL sale)

9 hours ago, Rodent said:

What are you looking for that you didn't find? 

Maybe somebody should start a "Trading Post" thread for Hobby Lobby trades.  Could be that some people bought multiples of the same kits because they were so cheap. They might be willing to let 1 go, in trade for something they didn't find.  We did this a few months ago after an Ollie's sale and it went pretty well.

I probably wouldn't be participating, since I only found 2 discounted kits at HL (AMT '51 Chevy convert and MPC '75 Vette for $7.50 each). 

I'm guessing that some of the clearance kits will be on eBay this coming week at twice their discounted price. I saw this after the last Ollie's sale where those $7.99 kits were being advertised for $15-20. Not sure how many sold, but for those that couldn't make it to Ollies, getting a kit for $15 might have been a deal.

I did see a bunch of kits last year at a swap meet that you could tell were straight from Ollie's and the sellers were proud of their asking prices. Towards the end of the day it appeared they had sold one or two, and I remember young kids were the ones buying them. I have no problem with someone trying to make a buck, that is what our country is all about. I just like being an informed consumer!

On 2/10/2018 at 6:39 AM, Erik Smith said:

I grabbed a couple of the MPC Corvette Roadster kits - they come with 6 great tires, BBC 454, open steel rally wheels with no center cap, and 8 metal hilborn injector tubes. So, for $7.50, lots of spare parts. 

Also got the 1/8 MPC Honda race motorcycle...I’ve never built a motorcycle model, but it looks pretty neat. 

After reading your post I guess i should not have passed on the MPC vette . Darn it. I did not know of the other goodies. 

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

After reading your post I guess i should not have passed on the MPC vette . Darn it. I did not know of the other goodies. 

Yeah, I had no interest so I looked up the contents and was surprised at the metal stacks - which, I think, were like $7.50 from R2 for just the stacks. 

18 hours ago, Rodent said:

What are you looking for that you didn't find? 

'57 Ford Gasser Wagon, '51 Chevy convertible,  MPC '75 Vettes, AMT Aero Chief, 1/8 MPC Honda race motorcycle, someone mention Shuttle kits, pretty much all of the list that has been talked about. At $6-8 a kit for most, that is a no brainer for me. I'll buy kits I don't even particularly like at that price. But when you add in shipping costs I have to rethink it. For less than $13 I would definitely have gotten that fire truck, and I don't do fire trucks. But I would at that price.

I have one '57 Ford Gasser Wagon, I'd have bought several more at $7 or so a kit.

The other one I really wanted but kept putting off was the 69 Barracuda. I ended up getting one on Ebay yesterday for about the same cost as the HL price before the clearance.

Oh well. This is the price you pay when you live paycheck to paycheck and don't have money set aside for unexpected things.

Thanks,

Russ

I was at my local Hobby Lobby today which is only 1/2 mile away, and I don't go there often as I support my LHS. I didn't see any model car kits on clearance, but I did find a can of Testors paint that I was lookin' for, and yep I did use my 40% off coupon.  I also didn't see any model car kits that interest me which is good as I'm tryin' to "build more and buy less."

GENTLEMEN, GO INTO THE STORES, ASK THE SALES PEOPLE OR THE STORE MANAGER WHEN THE RESET BEGINS IN YOUR LOCAL STORE, MAKE THAT RELATIONSHIP WORK! BRING THE EMPLOYEES (PACZKI  DAY TODAY) COFFEE AND DONUTS .YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT A HOBBY LOBBY STORE MANAGER CAN GET YOU OR DO FOR YOU, TILL YOU ASK THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by paul alflen
GRAMMAR ERRORS

I was back in the US today and hit up the Niagara Falls HL and all the decent clearance items were gone. There was one Bat boat on sale but it was of no interest to me. One thing I did notice is that they have swapped pricing labels on the "newer" kits. The newer kits had what looks like laser printed labels with the price and department on them. Not sure if the older styled labeled kits will be getting marked down next. But the clearance kits I got last week did have the older price gun style labels on them.

I am on the email list from Hobby Lobby and today's email has a section for Clearance items. Some of the kits mentioned on this thread are there on the HL website on clearance but are marked 40% off, not the 75% seen in the stores. 

I guess if you really want some of those kits, 40% is better than nothing. I was tempted to buy a 75 Corvette but decided I needed to wait and get one at a swap meet.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:50 AM, Zen said:

Just stopped at HL and scored big savings, $231 worth of kits for just over $60. They did have the AMT Aero chief fire truck for $12.50 and the MPC 1/8 scale Honda road race bike for $9.50.

Cashier mentioned that they are getting a new stock of kits in soon.

My son just got one of those Aero Chiefs for $12.50. Huge kit - huge discount. He was ecstatic! 

6 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Went to Hobby Lobby today for some supplies,  and decided  to check the clearance section, there was nothing model related in that section.

The ones by my house had the clearance kits in the model section. Probably wouldn't have noticed the markdowns if I hadn't seen it on this thread.

4 minutes ago, Renegade said:

The ones by my house had the clearance kits in the model section. Probably wouldn't have noticed the markdowns if I hadn't seen it on this thread.

Interesting,  I didnt think to look, but I dont recall seeing any kits with yellow tags on them, but i wasnt looking , so I could of very easily missed them. 

Edited by martinfan5