Model Cars Magazine Forum

keep stopping at the end of my builds

What an encouraging thread!!!  I have always felt like my striving to make my builds perfect has been an issue I couldn't ever overcome.  Both of my younger brothers have a load of finished models and I have only a few.  I guess it's a blessing in a way because I will always strive to achieve perfection if only to please myself.  I finished my DeFoosed Cadillac recently for a contest.  I pushed myself to finish it and it won first in custom class but I'm not very proud of the model because I did a less than perfect job on it.  I will always see that build as a reminder to go for perfection whether or not the project gets finished.  Great encouragement from all of you perfectionists on the forum.??

I have a lot of projects that get stopped right before paint because I can never choose a colour and even when I do I’m afraid of painting it because I don’t want to mess it up.

another problem I have is I just don’t want to finish a project because I’ve had so much fun building it I don’t want it to end. 

26 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

I have a lot of projects that get stopped right before paint because I can never choose a colour and even when I do I’m afraid of painting it because I don’t want to mess it up.

another problem I have is I just don’t want to finish a project because I’ve had so much fun building it I don’t want it to end. 

Choosing a color is  the hardest part of a build for me. Sometimes I just choose the color on the box.

59 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

Perfection is definitely my aim, but I'm realistic about my abilities at this time. I just keep on trying.

The trick is to work on improving in whatever area you may be lacking in, and to not get discouraged if you sometimes miss the mark you set for yourself.

This hobby ranks as "highly skilled" if you take it seriously, and a high level of skill in anything takes practice.

Some people consider trying to improve skills as counter to their perception of "fun".

That's fine for those who feel that way. There's nothing wrong in building models as a minimum-effort way to pass time.

But personally, if I'm going to bother doing something at all, I'm going to try to do it WELL.

Many of my own builds languish for years until my skills catch up with my vision, but I gotta tell ya...NOTHING beats the feeling of finally accomplishing something I just couldn't get right earlier.

(My own nemesis right now is BMF. Still practicing to get to a point where I'm consistently pleased with the results. Not "prefect", but up to the standard I can do some other things to.)

Those flaws that make any build less than perfect are often only glaring imperfections to the builder and are just as often not even noticed by the casual viewer. The builder is intimately aware of the issues he tackled & those that he has overcome, or not, in his view. One just has to accept the fact that nothing is ever perfect and continue to strive for it on each next build.

It also doesn't hurt to know when you hit the wall on one project & move to another. You can always come back to it when the mood or a resolution piques your interest. 

This is a great topic. I've been afflicted by the same thing. My Achilles heel being paint drama, and biting off way more than I can realistically do in finite time. I've been addressing this a couple of ways, and it seems to be helping.

First off, I scaled back the difficulty. I'm a lot more careful about biting off more than I can chew. I've decided that box stock is a nice category for the moment. Second, I started going back to some stalled projects to find that my skills have improved by rather a lot since I suspended work on them. They're getting done, and looking pretty good in the process. Third is to realize that very few people will look at my build the same way I do. Yes, there are imperfections, but they see the big picture, which is a nice car. I can see that too, if I want.

I started this year off pretty well, and I'm hoping to keep it going.

On 4/5/2018 at 1:32 PM, tbill said:

The ultimate key to model building is learning how to hide the mistakes?

it’s supposed to be fun, with no deadlines, if it gets you frustrated, box it up untill the motivation hits you to tackle it.

its all good?

You said it! I was bogged down for the longest time with my Shelby build as far as detail on the chassis. Biggest thing was getting the exhaust to "attach" correctly by making some sort of hangers. Well, I decided that since the model will be displayed 99% of the time roof up, I'm not going to worry about it any longer and just build the exhaust with a few clamps and call it a day.

I guess my handle on this board says it all...............I'm at a point in life though where I don't get too much into crazy working features as much.........at least in the smaller scales. As time goes on, and my eyesight doesn't cooperate as well as years gone by, I may do that to the larger scale or simply stick to out of the box builds and be satisfied with a nice shelf model.

It's also one of the reasons I've taken up to doing something "easy" for a build right after I get done with something difficult. Brings some of the fun back into building, and I can be satisfied that I got something else done. ;)

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Some people consider trying to improve skills as counter to their perception of "fun".

That's fine for those who feel that way. There's nothing wrong in building models as a minimum-effort way to pass time.

I know guys who do the minimal effort thing.  Always looking for cheaper materials or an easier way to do something.  The guys who don't clean up the mold lines and want to spray their Walmart dollar spray paint directly over red plastic, then come to the board to whine when it doesn't come out well.  You advise them that the need to use primer and they respond that it would be too much trouble.  He'll assemble his entire chassis or interior, then spray it Walmart flat black.  Good enough.

Same guy complains that he never wins at contests. You explain the requirements and he responds that contests should be judged like shelf models from 10 feet back so everyone would have a fair chance. (someone actually said that to me)  It never occurs to him to  work towards the goal.

And if you examine it, minimal effort isn't just with models, it's a way of life for this guy.  He's lazy at work and expends more effort trying to avoid work then actually doing it would take.   His lawn and house are unkempt.   His clothes are rumpled.  He's in debt.  He has an excuse for everything.

And everyone pictured someone they know as they read my description! :)

12 hours ago, 426 pack said:

11 hours ago, Renegade said:

Choosing a color is  the hardest part of a build for me. Sometimes I just choose the color on the box.

I have my color picked out when I get my kit home. I always paint the body first and get the paint right before I go and paint parts.  I prime everything now even parts I brush. It is amazing how much it makes a difference. Most of the time only the builder see or knows any flaws in his build. Turn on some music and enjoy the build. The hobby is something to enjoy and have fun. If we don't enjoy it then it becomes work. 

Edited by slusher

On April 7, 2018 at 6:26 AM, Eric Macleod said:

I don't usually admit to this in social forums but yes, I am a board certified PhD Psychologist. We don't salivate over a person who truly suffers from OCD. Us model builders jokingly say we have OCD when it comes to our hobby but I find my patients who struggle with it are so debilitated by it they become essentially non-functional. For your sake I truly hope you do not suffer the profound and all encompassing effects of OCD.

Thank you for piping up!  I know mechanics don't salivate over people bringing in cars that require miniaturized midgets to work under the dashboards (for example), so I wouldn't wish this on any professional.  I try to recognize the symptom before it gets out of hand.  In our case, models are just a hobby, not a life or death thing, nobody is harmed by putting a project back into the box.  We need to keep this in perspective.  I appreciate this topic getting started, because I have 3 projects in various steps of completion.  I actually dug one up, made some headway, then got distracted by starting *and finishing* another project, so I'm somewhat cured.

You see some of the other topics, when someone admitted this hobby is therapeutic?

In the past, I always finished one before starting another. Then.....I had to move my paint booth out of the house. That's fine in warm weather, but when it's cold....welllllll.

Therefore, I have a few (7) builds that  are up to the painting stage that are waiting on warm weather to break. I can stay busy at the bench in the winter, and try to play catch up in the summer. 

I do have one build that has been going on for more than seven years, but most of my stuff will be finished this year.

I often wonder if I had more tools to replace some of hand work of cutting, filing, and sanding of individual parts,  would it get me closer to a better finishing average. Right now I have too make 12 tubes all the same length. With a proper tool, about a minute, To mark cut, sand, repeat, 12 times will be at least 8-10 minutes.

A tool for bending  wire door hinges, would be another tool I would love to have. I remember someone on here making one, but I never heard anything about if it worked well of not.

If you had more tools to make modeling easier, do you think it would increase the amount you finish?

Edited by Psychographic

23 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

In our case, models are just a hobby, not a life or death thing, nobody is harmed by putting a project back into the box.  We need to keep this in perspective.  I appreciate this topic getting started, because I have 3 projects in various steps of completion.  I actually dug one up, made some headway, then got distracted by starting *and finishing* another project, so I'm somewhat cured.

You see some of the other topics, when someone admitted this hobby is therapeutic?

I do believe model building can be very therapeutic (which is why I engage in it). I also recognize this is a hobby, not a job. I too like to win model contests but typically know exactly why I do not. It is always that desire to just wrap something up, or model builder's ADHD. We get attracted to the allure of the next project (or projects) and off we go. Allow yourself to enjoy the creative process of model building regardless of the outcome of the project and you will never go wrong.

If it makes you feel better I have an unfinished Cord L-29 that I started in 1983...which still has not seen light of day. Someday maybe!

On 4/7/2018 at 12:28 PM, oldcarfan said:

I have the same issue. I don't know what it is. I don't make a mistake usually, it's just like I hit a wall and can't finish.

I honestly start dragging my feet at the end of all of my builds.... and after some self-reflection... I realized I don't want the process to be done...   I have invested so much time, thoughts, and energy over obsessing for 6-ish months on a project... I don't want it to end.    

Now granted I build models slightly different than others, for me it is a creative outlet..  and i really enjoy exploring new techniques and ideas.. to me the finished model is sometimes secondary to the process of building it.

I came to this realization when i noticed, after I complete a model I go into some sort of minor depression.. a feeling of being lost to some extent.    Especially when thrashing to get done for a deadline, 2-3 weeks of every night working on something.. and loving every minute of it.... when its over then what? its not like you can drive these things, and you can only stare at it so long without being a total weirdo....  Sometimes I try to start something new right away,  but if the spark of the old project isn't there, it just feels like I'm going through the motions.  More often than not, I'm just exhausted and not willing to jump back into something so immersive.

Its a reoccurring thing, and I'm sure its common among others...  and now that i have realized it....  its a bit easier to deal with.   I realize why its taking me extra long to assemble something...  or glue on that last part..

1 hour ago, Eric Macleod said:

... If it makes you feel better I have an unfinished Cord L-29 that I started in 1983...which still has not seen light of day. Someday maybe!

Don't rope me into a dependency relationship to force me to feel better about myself!  Tsk tsk.  I have 3 projects, lurking in my demented mind, crying for me to finish them.  Meanwhile, a new project (or many) is shouting louder, little voices every time I walk past my stash, "build me ....."   One of my WIP was moved along recently, but now I need to vaccuform some parts, and that triggered me to halt.

A Cord....... I just got the Monogram 812, just because I got the book The Tom Mix Cord from a local bookstore.  Now explain why I did that, since I'm not really into classics, more into exotic sports cars, but the Coffin nosed phaeton is so cool looking.

I like to work on my projects as little bite size assemblies, I'll start by just cleaning up parting lines. That's all, just parting lines, I make it therapeutic. And as I'm doing it, I'll analyze the parts of the kit, the shape of the body, the design and fit of the interior and chassis, where other parts will go. Cleaning up the parts is just one step beyond plopping parts together - it needs to be done anyway, so why not just do it as I'm looking to find imperfections in the kit. Correct them while in the initial stage of the build so I don't have to try to fix them AFTER they're already glued and painted.

I do the same then with building subassemblies. Just fitting and gluing parts that will be painted the same colors or won't be easy to glue after they are painted. Engines complete except for chrome and parts that wont be easy to detail after it's painted. Chassis frames with differential, springs, shocks, control arms, spindles all glued up ready for black paint. Interior seats assembled with seam smoothed out, dash and consoles prepped and tested for fitting ready for interior color. Testing the glass and chrome for proper fit.

At this point parts are assembled but nothing is painted. Now comes the fun part - dry assembling the the subassemblies to an almost complete car. If everything goes together well then I can feel confident that the final outcome will be easy after paint.

It's after that that I run into snags. Consistently good paint jobs is a skill I've never mastered. I can paint chassis, engines and interiors - but bodies? It's my Kryptonite. 

That's usually when it goes back in the box. When I've mastered painting, then I'll have a LOT of projects to finish!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

It's after that that I run into snags. Consistently good paint jobs is a skill I've never mastered. I can paint chassis, engines and interiors - but bodies? It's my Kryptonite. 

That's usually when it goes back in the box. When I've mastered painting, then I'll have a LOT of projects to finish!

If that's your stumbling block, I recommend Tamiya spray paints. If you want to try an airbrush, get a Paasche H.

59 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

If that's your stumbling block, I recommend Tamiya spray paints. If you want to try an airbrush, get a Paasche H.

I had an airbrush, but I guess I didn't clean it out correctly and messed it up. Either that or I mixed the paint incorrectly and it didn't spray right. After that disaster, I've been reluctant to try to use one again.

I have seen the great jobs that others have had with theirs. I may have to get back on that horse and try it again.

The Paasche H is simple, inexpensive and easy to clean. If you want your building to take a leap forward, you've got to learn how to airbrush. Get some old model bodies and practice on them.

Make sure your air source is adjustable, dry and clean.

8 hours ago, Miatatom said:

The Paasche H is simple, inexpensive and easy to clean. If you want your building to take a leap forward, you've got to learn how to airbrush. Get some old model bodies and practice on them.

Make sure your air source is adjustable, dry and clean.

You guys are right! I saw somebody using one and he was using it like a spray gun. That's when it dawned on me, if I'm building everything else in miniature, then my paint jobs need to be in miniature too.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get one soon and practice again. The weather's getting warmer anyway, now's the perfect time.