Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

33 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Another one I have, though may not  be quite so rare is a JOHAN Boss 429 Mercury Comet Pro-Stock.  Traded a set of resin Ardun heads for it a few years back.  Picture from Ebay.

Comet Pro-Stock.jpg

You got the better end of THAT trade!

Rarity, I think,  is subjective. Many more kits of a subject were produced in the 60s than today so  the definition of rarity is probably "How many are left?".

Anyway- I think my rarest is a 1/16 scale Revell 1917 Model T coupe. It's not a direct scale up of the old Gowland & Gowland mold because it doesn't have that funky "hop" deal where the body moves when the model is pulled along with a piece of string. What's odd is that on the box side it makes reference to the this "hop" feature.

I also have some unbuilt Jo-Han kits from the 60s and 70s, and a Gunze Sangyo Ferrari 250 GTO ( with engine- I sold the one that was minus the engine

I have a built up AMT '60 Ford pickup and '59 Buick convertible that I bought as built ups and most of my built up junk from the mid to late 60s.

Edited by ZTony8

17 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Or I could have said the Johan 1961 Plymouth Fury that I have built.

But in light of recent developments, I think I have finally found one that seems to be almost non-existent!

I recently completed a trade with a wonderful gentleman from Sweden for a super rare Johan 1968 Oldsmobile 442 builder!

I have been tentatively searching for one of these for years & have rarely seen them, let alone ever found one in suitable condition for a resto.

I have seen promos for sale on occasion, but the kit seems to be extremely rare for some reason.

I have yet to receive it, but it has reached the shores of America, so I'm very excited to get this little gem in my hands!

These are the photos that the gentleman has sent me.

It looks to be complete & in very good restorable condition.

I'm very stoked!!

Steve

2v2JhMwjgxwUbWP.jpg2v2JhMw8WxwUbWP.jpg2v2JhMwMGxwUbWP.jpg2v2JhMfvCxwUbWP.jpg2v2JhMfehxwUbWP.jpg2v2JhMf1GxwUbWP.jpg2v2JhMfACxwUbWP.jpg

Now thats a tough one to find.

I would like to have one, but not at eBay prices Ive seen them go for

Edited by gtx6970

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Another one I have, though may not  be quite so rare is a JOHAN Boss 429 Mercury Comet Pro-Stock.  Traded a set of resin Ardun heads for it a few years back.  Picture from Ebay.

Comet Pro-Stock.jpg

I have one of those bought off the LHS shelf in the '80s. It's new and complete except I used its SOHC engine in a Maverick I built at about the same time. No, it's not up for sale or trade--gonna build it someday. 

10 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

1964 Plymouth Fury Convertible..Original unbuilt JoHan annual..Had for many years..Kit was in mint condition..Because of my stroke in 1998 and not having the dexterity to build it like it should be done, I shipped it to Frank LuQue who I met years ago at NNL North..He does fantastic work..Sent him photo's of the real deal and he built it for me..Here are some pictures and of the real deal..

1964 Fury at Princess Auto August 26,2017 #5.jpg

1964 Fury Engine August 26,2017  #2.jpg

1964 Fury convertible Feb 5,2018 #2.jpg

1964 Fury convertible Feb 5,2018 engine #4.jpg

1964 Fury convertible Feb 5,2018 #3.jpg

Beautiful . I admire this replica . Lacking the full Wheel Coversand Whitewalls ? Matter of taste I guess . I am a purist Factory Stock builder . Thanx ..  

On 7/6/2018 at 10:00 AM, Exotics_Builder said:

A few others as well, but I plan to build all but perhaps the 65 Bonneville, 62 Tempest and 69 Grand Prix.  I may sell those off after I move into the new house get settled.

B-O-P-S 02 (2).JPG

B-O-P-S 02 (3).JPG

B-O-P-S 03 (2).JPG

Chevy 02 - Copy (2).JPG

Chevy 03 (2).JPG

Chevy 04 (2).JPG

Custom- Street Rod 05 (2).JPG

Ford 01 (2).JPG

Other Exotics 01 (2).JPG

Other and Extra 04 (2).JPG

The '60 Corvaie Kit , is a 1961 Kit . AMT did not model a '60 Coupe Corvair . The Styline kits were new in 1961 . You do have some outstanding gems .. Thanx .. 

I'll share these with you . I have a couple of pre Revelle , AMT , Revelle AMT AMT build ups . First up is a later kit . It is a 1922 Model T Roadser , Aurora . Was a double kit , the Stock version was available seperatly a few years after the initial release . It is innacurate . I have plans to correct the flaws lacking for the 1922 MY .  Second , Ringo Jaguar XK 120 . I restored this glue bomb I fouind on EBay . The details I found on an old Calender way back in time . Third , a pair of 1902 Jefferies Ramblers . One is a Kay Sun, the second a Strombecker kit . I do not have the Hawk release of this one . The fourth is an EnFo Zepher Conertible . These were a part of English Fords exported worldwide . It is Circa late '50's and early '60's . It has a location on the bottom of the dask for both left and right hand drive as did all 1:1 EnFo Cars of this timeframe . The builder was supposed to snap off rhe unused Colum Locartor . Mine is LHD , the locator is still there . Number 6 is a Nash Healy . Ringo or older ? It is lacking much . It is planned for more accurate remaking .  Number 7 , one of Adolph's W Machines . A MB V/12 Grand Prix Circuit Racer mid 30's . This is the way the kit builds up with this base , History on the base , Trophy and Engine  . Finally number 8 , an opal Record . It is circa late '50's and early '60's . Another plastic kit / promo maker . It had both F&R "Chrome"  parts cast in metal . I am missing the front . It consists of the Grille , Bumper and headlights as one piece . Anyone have it they would like to trade off ? Good Luck to me lol ..   Enjoy and thanks . 

'22 T Roadster R.jpg

I1902 Jefferies Rambler 2.JPG

1922 T Roadster F.jpg

Ringo XK 120 f.JPG

Ringo XK 120 r.JPG

IMGP1722.JPG

IMGP1723.JPG

IMGP1721.JPG

Nash Healy f.JPG

Nash Healy r.JPG

MB 136 sisde.JPG

MB W 136 F.JPG

MB W 136 R.JPG

Opel record Remains r.JPG

Opel Record Remains rr.JPG

Edited by dimaxion

4 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Now thats a tough one to find.

I would like to have one, but not at eBay prices Ive seen them go for

I've not even been able to find one!

Occasionally, I will see one that's been pretty much butchered, all busted up or is missing a butt load of parts, but in general, there are mostly promos for sale.

I have been considering trying to find a good promo, or there is a resin one available that I have seen, but the kit is nearly non-existent.

Especially for a decent price.

I got this one in trade for a nearly complete Johan '60 Plymouth wagon, a pretty rough '65 GTO, a couple of old AMT bodies & a few miscellaneous parts.

Sounds like a lot but it's all stuff that I was never going to use with the possible exception of the Plymouth wagon.

So I'm looking at it as a very good trade! :)

Steve

I would have to say it would be my entire Aurora 1/16 scale collection. I have both of the full kits, plus several of the individual kits. Will I ever build any of them, I really don't know.

Edited by socal76

On 7/6/2018 at 7:56 AM, Mike999 said:

Most likely mastered from this 1/24 plastic kit. Made by the French kit company "Record."  It apparently built either a hardtop Renault Floride, or a convertible Caravelle.  I found these pics on Worthpoint.  The plastic kits are Unobtainium, and if we were lucky enough to find one in this mint/unbuilt condition, it would probably cost at least a liver. And maybe a lung.

floride.jpg

floride2.jpg

But the best part of this kit is that it "helps prevent cavities" ?

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Everything I've got is to build. How many I'll get to before I die...who knows? Whoever liquidates my estate ought to do pretty well though.

Chances are your heirs aren't going to spend the time itemizing and trying to get the full value of the collection. They'll probably only get pennies on the dollar for it all - better enjoy them now!

Collectors irritate me, they cry for mint, unbuilt stuff so they can flip it for a windfall - but when you offer it for sale they only make pathetic offers for it. So I say, "Tuff to them - I'll let my son or grandkids make glue bombs out of them when I'm gone". Nuts to the profiteers, if they loved them they would appreciate them. Not swindle you out of them to make a fast buck! None of us builders will ever live long enough to regret building the "Last One", so just enjoy and share them as you would care to, that's what the hobby is about.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Chances are your heirs aren't going to spend the time itemizing and trying to get the full value of the collection. They'll probably only get pennies on the dollar for it all - better enjoy them now!

Collectors irritate me, they cry for mint, unbuilt stuff so they can flip it for a windfall - but when you offer it for sale they only make pathetic offers for it. So I say, "Tuff to them - I'll let my son or grandkids make glue bombs out of them when I'm gone". Nuts to the profiteers, if they loved them they would appreciate them. Not swindle you out of them to make a fast buck! None of us builders will ever live long enough to regret building the "Last One", so just enjoy and share them as you would care to, that's what the hobby is about.

My goal is to do my best to get as much of my vintage stuff built as possible before I have to give it up.

Hopefully, in the end, I'll have enough time to either put the built kits on ebay for $1,000.00 apiece, :P or if not, I would prefer to give them to other appreciative builders who would either keep them as they are, or restore them to their own specifications.

I don't want to leave them to someone who has absolutely no interest in them.

The more modern-common stuff?.........I really could care less what happens to them.

Steve