Model Cars Magazine Forum

IS IT JUST ME!

Is it just me or do other people feel like a lot of the REVELL kits on EBAY are price gouged. I get that there are some kits that are rare, so those I can see going for $50 and I understand that there is uncertainty with the future of REVELL but come on!! To me it feels like the sellers are taking advantage and that's frustrating.

Market demand. With modellers not knowing what will happen with the German firm that bought Revell US, some have speculated the market and priced accordingly. Your best thing is to order from established businesses like Model Empire or others to get a good price. Individuals are hoping to capitalize on the rarity of all Revell kits.

I've been able to find most kits that are being offered on eBay locally for normal prices. I'm also fortunate enough to have Model Empire as my LHS and since they also distribute they have a large back catalogue of Revell subjects so definitely look there before you overpay on the bay. I should mention though they were out of the Baja Bronco and the Foose pickup last time I was there.

Edited by Phirewriter

If you'll notice carefully on eBay, you'll see that prices for kits by AMT, MPC, and other makes have also gone up in pricing. There really isn't a reason for price increases on them. Some sellers took the opportunity to increase all kits as a result of the unknown on Revell kits.

I'm just about as ticked at the $12 to $15 shipping charges that are becoming "the norm". I recently sent 3 kits to people. The cost to ship was $7.95 for one of them and $8 and change for each of the other two. So I KNOW it doesn't cost $12.95 to ship a kit. I do realize there is a "possible" added expense of the shipping materials, but I keep about 10 empty kit sized boxes from purchases I have made on hand at all times. You can obtain free boxes from the USPS so I don't see where there should be a significant expense for those materials.

With the increase in asking prices for kits and the ridiculous shipping charges, it's getting REALLY hard to find a "deal" on eBay. I still spend a little time several days a week looking for "bargains", but those are getting to be few and far between.

32 minutes ago, smhardesty said:

If you'll notice carefully on eBay, you'll see that prices for kits by AMT, MPC, and other makes have also gone up in pricing. There really isn't a reason for price increases on them. Some sellers took the opportunity to increase all kits as a result of the unknown on Revell kits.

I'm just about as ticked at the $12 to $15 shipping charges that are becoming "the norm". I recently sent 3 kits to people. The cost to ship was $7.95 for one of them and $8 and change for each of the other two. So I KNOW it doesn't cost $12.95 to ship a kit. I do realize there is a "possible" added expense of the shipping materials, but I keep about 10 empty kit sized boxes from purchases I have made on hand at all times. You can obtain free boxes from the USPS so I don't see where there should be a significant expense for those materials.

With the increase in asking prices for kits and the ridiculous shipping charges, it's getting REALLY hard to find a "deal" on eBay. I still spend a little time several days a week looking for "bargains", but those are getting to be few and far between.

So true!  They set an appealing price and make it up in the "shipping and handling".

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You'd think brains would be worth a lot, as rare as they seem to be. Common sense, too. And ethical, adult behavior.

Sadly, all in short supply these days.  

I am selling some of my kits.Just reducing the stack a little.

I list for reasonable prices and sometimes add free shipping.

If there is a big difference in shipping,I return the difference to buyer.

It does cost extra for me to ship to the West Coast.

2 hours ago, gbdolfans said:

Guys like you I save on my favorite sellers page and check your listings from time to time...

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

$15 for shipping? I wish they were that low.

In the meantime, the hobby stores here still have Revell kits on the shelves, and some are even on sale.  I guess I will make do somehow.

I shop around but some areas of the country cost more. Plus some have shipping supplies to buy. When I don't like a price I keep looking and try to be patient. There will always price gouging on anything they believe is hard to get no matter what it is. Can't afford it or don't like the price I move on...

3 hours ago, smhardesty said:

I'm just about as ticked at the $12 to $15 shipping charges that are becoming "the norm"...

That really grinds my gears.  I still sell on eBay and know what shipping costs.  Not long ago I did a trade with a guy on this board. He was on the West Coast, I'm on the East. We were both shipping pretty big boxes.  We both paid exactly the same price for our Priority shipping: $17.30, to ship those boxes to each other all the way across the country.

Everybody probably knows this, but just in case they don't:  eBay lets the seller add extra "handling charges" that you can't see. They're rolled into the shipping price. That's one reason shipping can be expensive on eBay.

Another thing that downright strips my gears: sellers who won't combine shipping.  Packing/shipping 2 boxes when you can only pack 1 doesn't make sense...unless you want to collect those handling fees twice.  If the seller doesn't combine shipping, I don't buy from them. 

As for Revell prices going up...out of curiosity, I just searched eBay for "Revell '70 Charger."  One seller is offering the new kit with the pink car on the box for $43.99 + $10.99 shipping. Or you can Buy It Now for only $57.99.  Such a deal! Hobby Lobby still has that kit on the shelf.

But the real winner is the other Revell '70 Charger, Dom's from Fast & Furious with the black car on the box.  eBay has one of those with free shipping...for only $135.26!!!  I also saw them offered at $45, $64 and all kinds of other high prices.  That kit is also still on the shelf at Hobby Lobby.

I also saw both '70 Chargers on eBay at reasonable prices. So there's no need to deal with the greedheads.

12 hours ago, carcrazy19 said:

Is it just me or do other people feel like a lot of the REVELL kits on EBAY are price gouged. I get that there are some kits that are rare, so those I can see going for $50 and I understand that there is uncertainty with the future of REVELL but come on!! To me it feels like the sellers are taking advantage and that's frustrating.

I feel your pain Anthony...people like me that have to try to get by on almost no budget things like that really hurt our way of staying busy with all the time we have to pass and our passion for building.   Sad thing in this world today is there is always someone ready to take advantage of others when they can...if it were not for some deals and others I know around here I could be back to watching TV all day again or...?    With kit prices on the rise its hard enough for many of us.   Deals are other there but sometimes few and far between...at least they are in my area.   

1 hour ago, disabled modeler said:

I feel your pain Anthony...people like me that have to try to get by on almost no budget things like that really hurt our way of staying busy with all the time we have to pass and our passion for building.   Sad thing in this world today is there is always someone ready to take advantage of others when they can...if it were not for some deals and others I know around here I could be back to watching TV all day again or...?    With kit prices on the rise its hard enough for many of us.   Deals are other there but sometimes few and far between...at least they are in my area.   

We all have to take care of our brothers-right Mark.!!!

Just after they shut USA down a guy was in Hobby Lobby buying up the Revell kits.

Almost got into it because he took exception when I picked a kit off the shelf before he could get to it.

Have no doubt that those kits would be on eBay at inflated prices soon!

11 hours ago, gbdolfans said:

What's your seller name?  By the look of your Avatar I'm sure I'd be interested in some of your stuff.

I bought 8 kits from jimnohio a few weeks ago for $40.  The box showed that the shipping was $30.  That's ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

I bought 8 kits from jimnohio a few weeks ago for $40.  The box showed that the shipping was $30.  That's ridiculous.

$30 for shipping eight kits is not really too bad.  I have shipped kits in trades on this board and the price has ranged from $7.50 to $12.50 for one kit, and if that kit leaves the US borders the prices become astronomical.  One part of this price equation some seem to ignore is the continual price increases of the USPS.

You need to learn what the weight and box thresholds are for each shipping company. Use the smallest box that you can safely ship the items in.

I know that there is a big jump at USPS if the box has any dimension over 12".

10 hours ago, slusher said:

I shop around but some areas of the country cost more. Plus some have shipping supplies to buy. When I don't like a price I keep looking and try to be patient. There will always price gouging on anything they believe is hard to get no matter what it is. Can't afford it or don't like the price I move on...

I agree Carl....  Some prices and shipping charges on kits on E-Bay are somewhat comical to say the least. I work in shipping and receiving and in this day and age nothing is cheap to ship. I am lucky to be in an area with a few hobby shops, and swap meets at shows close. So I can always find what I want at a decent price. And when I look for kits I can't find there, patient shopping on E-Bay always results in a purchace I am willing to pay. I still have'nt had to use other online sellers, I have looked at some of thier sites and see there are some nice deals there also , even with shipping charges. As for the price gougers... they can keep thier stuff...!!

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

$30 for shipping eight kits is not really too bad.  I have shipped kits in trades on this board and the price has ranged from $7.50 to $12.50 for one kit, and if that kit leaves the US borders the prices become astronomical.  One part of this price equation some seem to ignore is the continual price increases of the USPS.

Indeed international shipping is nuts, 3 US kits is $52 1st Class and $56 priority, from the east coast to Belgium, so I'm pretty picky on what I still buy in the US, for the most part you're better of waiting till the kits become available here, cuz one has to add posible custom fees.

It sure used to be different, I used to have a friend group all my ebay wins and purchases, he 'd ship 15-20 kits for $50 through surface mail....that was in the early nillies....

Edited by Luc Janssens