Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

5 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Nice box art..I assume it's a reissue of this, which was a modified version of the old MPC '69 and has an oddly shaped roof, among other issues.

415VP3JJBVL.jpg

You’re probably right, I knew I saw an AMT box before.

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Nice box art..I assume it's a reissue of this, which was a modified version of the old MPC '69 and has an oddly shaped roof, among other issues.

415VP3JJBVL.jpg

Yes, and what a shame and travesty. But wouldn't it be a grand surprise if they actually restored the (now) Funny Hugger body and managed to reunite it with all the original stock parts? 

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

415VP3JJBVL.jpg

If it's really going to be a reissue of this steaming pile, someone at Round 2 needs to have their head examined.  That would be a textbook example of how to damage your brand.

Hard to believe they'd really do that.  I am intrigued by this, though.  Usually Round 2 is pretty consistent with branding their reissues the same as the original manufacturer of the tooling (AMT or MPC).

Wonder if there's a chance that they tooled up a new '69 Camaro body to put on the existing 67/68 Camaro chassis?  I know: they would also need to tool up a new interior AND provide a big block.  (I'm not buying it either.  It probably is the one above)

18 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

If it's really going to be a reissue of this steaming pile, someone at Round 2 needs to have their head examined.  That would be a textbook example of how to damage your brand.

Hard to believe they'd really do that.  I am intrigued by this, though.  Usually Round 2 is pretty consistent with branding their reissues the same as the original manufacturer of the tooling (AMT or MPC).

Wonder if there's a chance that they tooled up a new '69 Camaro body to put on the existing 67/68 Camaro chassis?  I know: they would also need to tool up a new interior AND provide a big block.  (I'm not buying it either.  It probably is the one above)

Sorry......but 99% of the buying public will only see a 1/25 scale Camaro model kit. Body issues will only be an issue to the lunatic fringe......of which I am a proud member. 

9 hours ago, RichCostello said:

With all of the very nice Revell 69 Camaros, do we really need this thing?

We, as in the "lunatic fringe" probably don't but it's probably not meant for us either. Round2 will sell a bunch of these simply for the great looking box art and the fact that it's a Camaro. The general public will buy it for the name alone, without actually knowing what's in the box.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

We, as in the "lunatic fringe" probably don't but it's probably not meant for us either. Round2 will sell a bunch of these simply for the great looking box art and the fact that it's a Camaro. The general public will buy it for the name alone, without actually knowing what's in the box.

Bingo!  We, as a group, probably account for less than 5% of kit sales.  We are the guys who show up at Star Trek conventions dressed as Mr Spock.  Over enthusiastic and very demanding. The model companies do respect us, but take us with a grain of salt.

The majority of kits are sold to the general public.  For a better idea of who and how they are building kits, check out Facebook groups.  These are full of guys asking very elementary questions, perplexed when their hardware store paint jobs fail and not knowing the very basics of fine kit assembly.  And these are people enthused enough to post on the internet!  There's a whole dimension under this of people who merely will assemble a kit with their kids on a rainy Saturday.  I don't know a single modeler in my town, but the kits in our Hobby Lobby turn over regularly.  

Then add in any kit with Coca Cola reference,  any connection to TV or movies and you have a whole new audience of collectors who will buy these and never open the shrink wrap.  There's a lot of money in this market.  Just check out a TV and Movie Memorabilia show!   Actually bigger and more monied than our model shows!

I remember reading that this group of buyers / builders turns over every 18 months.  So when a kit manufacturer brings back a kit after 3 years, it's all new to a good part of their audience.  

Edited by Tom Geiger

16 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

415VP3JJBVL.jpg

that is great box art, they should sell those excellent boxes from there kits separately.

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I wish I had the money to spend on a kit just because I like the picture on the box.

What's so special with the F&F version, it looks like a standard Yenko to me...I choose the Revell kit any day over this one as I buy kits based on quality and not boxart and the Revell kit is wayyy better.

Edited by Force

11 minutes ago, Force said:

What's so special with the F&F version, it looks like a standard Yenko to me...I choose the Revell kit any day over this one as I buy kits based on quality and not boxart and the Revell kit is wayyy better.

It said Fast & the Furious on the box art was what distinguished it.  What is interesting is AMT/RC2 and Revell both issued F&F '69 Camaros, 13 years apart (AMT-2002, Revell 2015).

Edited by Rob Hall

Don't see a problem with the release of the '69 Camaro, Round-2s kit are much more expensive* than those of Revell and knowing car modelers they always choose for bang for the buck :D

But I give the boyz of Round2 thumbs up for the beautiful box-art.

(*) a typical Revell kit here costs 30 euro and a Round-2 40 euro

Edited by Luc Janssens

Just now, Snake45 said:

I do, if it's the same old retreaded MPC POS hiding under pretty box art. Shame on them! 

At least they came up with some nice box art, rather than adding Coca-Cola decals (though that will probably be next). 

45 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

At least they came up with some nice box art, rather than adding Coca-Cola decals (though that will probably be next). 

I was just looking at the Coke version of the 32 Ford sedan delivery.. phenomenal decal sheet of Coke logos of different eras!

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was just looking at the Coke version of the 32 Ford sedan delivery.. phenomenal decal sheet of Coke logos of different eras!

I agree. If you're into slapping Coke stickers on things, that model is worth the Hobby Lobby Coupon price just for the decals alone! B)

(Personally, I only drink Coke if there is no other beverage available. Can't offhand tell you the last time this happened.) 

2 hours ago, Force said:

That's what I'm talkin' about. I don't care what the box looks like(but I'm sure a lot of people do). With great sites like this one, and Chris's HPIguy site, it's easy to see what's in the box before buying something you don't want.