Model Cars Magazine Forum

Now THIS is ridiculous!

Years ago my neighbor Walter came over to tell me a story.  He was visibly shaken up.

He had gone to Sears to pick up his new mattress and box springs.  They loaded it on the roof of his Grand Caravan.

He only got a few miles down the highway... a local 4 lane highway, not an interstate at high speeds... when it all broke loose.

The car behind him drove up on the mattress.  It's exhaust system set the mattress on fire.   Car burned to the ground!

I'm trying to keep a straight face and be concerned for Walter since he's a clueless guy and is really upset.

Then he asks the question....  Do I think he can sue the guy with the burnt up car for destroying his mattress??

That's when I lost it!   

37 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And that statement is why I usually conceal the fact that I have a truck.   B)

This is the God's honest truth right here, if you're a man and own a truck you'll be the first call anytime anyone needs something moved. Even friends of your friends you don't know will somehow know you have a truck.

Few years back. some fellas here bought a new large appliance, and wishing to avoid the delivery fee, loaded it on the back of a car in some makeshift manner. It got away, fell on the interstate in front of a following car, and people died.

The fine upstanding non-citizens just kept going.

Sadly for them, the labels were still attached to the appliance, and after it was traced back to the store, they weren't hard to track down

2 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

This is the God's honest truth right here, if you're a man and own a truck you'll be the first call anytime anyone needs something moved. Even friends of your friends you don't know will somehow know you have a truck.

That's one of the chief reasons I never bought one. Not much is more irritating when you have a quiet weekend and someone out of the blue you've never heard of wants something moved. I'm of the mind that I'll just have to be 'that guy' and simply say no if I ever get a truck and that situation arises.

Either that or charge 'em and probably be confident they'll never ask again! ;) 

10 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

... Not much is more irritating when you have a quiet weekend and someone out of the blue you've never heard of wants something moved...

Ranks right up there with people who know you're a "mechanic" and can "fix things" in general. Add to that knowledge the fact you have a truck too, and the phone rings off the hook...which would be just dandy if I were a handy-man-mover, but that's not the case.

And freeloaders "needing" favors rarely if ever offer anything of value in return for wasting an entire day out of one's life, burning gas, etc.

Nope, no more. I have two friends left who have been there for ME in the rare instances I've needed help. I'll bend over backwards for either of them, but everybody else..."sorry, that number is no longer in service".  ;)

52 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Ranks right up there with people who know you're a "mechanic" and can "fix things" in general. Add to that knowledge the fact you have a truck too, and the phone rings off the hook...which would be just dandy if I were a handy-man-mover, but that's not the case.

And freeloaders "needing" favors rarely if ever offer anything of value in return for wasting an entire day out of one's life, burning gas, etc.

Nope, no more. I have two friends left who have been there for ME in the rare instances I've needed help. I'll bend over backwards for either of them, but everybody else..."sorry, that number is no longer in service".  ;)

It gets worse if they know you can fix things, have a truck and a welder! At least I'm in AZ, everyone has at least 1 truck.

5 minutes ago, Sport Suburban said:

It gets worse if they know you can fix things, have a truck and a welder! 

Yeah, you're right. I have a welder too. And a lathe. And a milling machine. And no end of tools people were always asking to borrow.

Shhhhh...don't tell anyone.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Wow.

Maybe its a regional thing. I've been a truck owner for at least 20 years and I don't get asked to assist very much. Maybe once or twice a year. But then, I'd estimate that 3/4 of households around here have a truck.

And if someone does ask, and I have nothing going on, then what's the big deal? Helping your friends is kind of a thing here in Canada.

One of my previous employers had a land rover 90 wheelbase. He worked as a  house builder and owned a couple of hotels where i worked in the kitchens. The one day he came in for his lunch (he always came to the hotel I was working in that day as i gave bigger portions) and i noticed the window of the landy was smashed on one side. I asked him if he'd annoyed someone in a slightly jokey manner and he went a little red as he said he had taken a different ladder to usual and didn't notice it was a little longer so when he slammed the back door it left through the front window. He said its only money and it would teach him to take more care next time. A couple of weeks later after getting it fixed he did the same thing again