Model Cars Magazine Forum

Headlights

I am having a problem picking up the headlights and getting them in the bucket. I seem to be dropping them every so often and having trouble getting them turned right. Been using clear coat to hold them in that tip has always worked. Wanted tips on ways other builders handle picking up and handling headlights...

I use cheap, white craft glue to hold my headlights and “glass” in place.

Just Apply a thin layer with the end of a toothpick. Dries clear.

Also does a decent job of giving gauge decals the appearance of having glass over them.

As for picking up the headlights off of the work bench, suppose you can use some low tack tape like Frog tape. Strong enough to pick it-submissive enough to let it go.

I use Aleene's clear gel tacky glue for my headlights. I use tweezers but it's not always the perfect method, as I've had them drop also. All my headlight lens work is done under my magnifier to line the lens up in the correct direction. I would like to experiment with those tacky stick things but they seem kinda pricey for my cheap budget.

There are vacuum pickup tools available for this type of work, but someone recently mentioned to just place a tiny ball of sticky substance at the end of a tootpick.  It might have been Playdough. Then use that to pick the lens up and position it in the bucket.  I use similar method. I found a roll of adhesive-only 3M tape (basically it is like just Scotch tape's adhesive on a transfer paper, without the clear.  I make a small ball of the adhesive and place that on the end of a toothpick.

5 hours ago, Intmd8r said:

I use cheap, white craft glue to hold my headlights and “glass” in place.

Just Apply a thin layer with the end of a toothpick. Dries clear.

I use either that glue on a stick or the "wax picker pen": https://www.ebay.de/itm/2-Stuck-Picker-Pen-Stift-Strass-Stein-Perlen-Applikator-Wachsstift-Nail-Art/272661436612?hash=item3f7be358c4:g:YJMAAOSwXoxafFZ0:rk:12:pf:0. This is very nice to handle.

I use an old detail swab tube, or could use anything similar (tube) and have a small bit of blue tack(sticky tack for posters and such) on the end. Use this for lots of small parts. You may need something handy to hold in place ( pick or scribe) to help release from blue tack, depends on how hard you press and adhersion of " glueing agent"

12 hours ago, Intmd8r said:

As for picking up the headlights off of the work bench, suppose you can use some low tack tape like Frog tape. Strong enough to pick it-submissive enough to let it go.

Another option would be using the sticky part of a Post-It note...very low tack.

I use Future to hold them in place but for working with them on a bench, I usually take a piece of masking tape and fold one end over leaving some sticky showing. The lenses I just place on the sticky and use the folded end of tape to hold them until I can tweeze them into place.

I prefer to pick them up with tweezers, and then listen to the direction they fly off in, then hunt on the floor for an hour to no avail, then open another kit to get a replacement lens. This is usually followed up a month later by finding said first lense no where near the scene of the crime, lol. I know we all been there......

MicroMark sells a product called Pick-n-stick. They’re a plastic stick about the size of a match stick with a ball of sticky substance that reminds me of the stuff they use to hold new credit cards to the paper mailer on the end. Come in real valuable for handling tiny parts for painting or positioning if you’re all thumbs like I am. And they’re reusable 

Edited by JohnU

16 hours ago, berr13 said:

I just poke the lens with a VERY sharp Xacto knife, just enough to hold it.  Tiny hole, but it's usually a strong enough grip to accurately place the lens.  I use a toothpick to rotate it, if need be.  Works for me...

I've always done it this way too ...brand new #11, just touch the lens face...picks it up everytime

21 hours ago, slusher said:

I am having a problem picking up the headlights and getting them in the bucket. I seem to be dropping them every so often and having trouble getting them turned right. Been using clear coat to hold them in that tip has always worked. Wanted tips on ways other builders handle picking up and handling headlights...

I hear you Carl I have the same problem seeing I have Renaud’s disease. Door handles.Mirrors. All hard to set in place.

I tend to use 5 minute epoxy, applied with a toothpick. In the bucket, not the edge of the lens.
Also, the best way to handle the lens, is with the corner of a Post-It note.
Just be sure to have the pattern on the lens visible. Lines should be horizontal- 
vertical.

MODELS- HEADLIGHT DETAIL- '34 FORD.JPG