Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

I'll be getting at least one too. 

The only thing really off-putting to me was the height of the front fenders. That doesn't look right to me compared to the JoHan and MPC. But, looking at Stu's pics above, maybe it's JoHan and MPC that were off. It's long been rumored that the sculptors of those old tools back then took certain "libertys" when sculpting the masters , sweeting a line here or a crease there.  

Still, the old kits look "right" and the new one looks "off" to me. But not "off" enough to stop me from building it.

12 hours ago, afx said:

Unsure if Revell would ever produce a new tool AAR I did the conversion myself.

And after witnessing your excellent and informative buildup I accumulated all the parts to build my own. Haven't carved plastic yet, so i may return all the parts sourced from other kits and go with this new kit, depending on what is actually in the box.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

And after witnessing your excellent and informative buildup I accumulated all the parts to build my own. Haven't carved plastic yet, so i may return all the parts sourced from other kits and go with this new kit, depending on what is actually in the box.

Glad you found my build thread helpful. I hope your patience pays off with the new AAR kit.

Edited by afx

POSSIBLE MAJOR PLOT TWIST ON THE DECAL ISSUE:

I was just looking at the box of the original Revell AAR Cuda, and it looks as though it might possibly have the correct shape decal. Now granted, they may be a little big for this kit, but if it is mainly in just the length, some strobes could be cut out and it might just work on this kit. And THAT would mean that the original AAR Cuda kit might actually be good for something!! :o :o:o

image.png.e0aea755751ad4e8096f3394b9968929.png

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

The box art for the Firebird shows the stock wheels too if I'm seeing that correctly.

You are correct.

And very nice pad printed Firestone Wide Ovals are in with the low profile tires as well.  Two complete tire and wheel sets, stock and modern.

Building mine right now so it's first hand knowledge.

20 minutes ago, hpiguy said:

You are correct.

And very nice pad printed Firestone Wide Ovals are in with the low profile tires as well.  Two complete tire and wheel sets, stock and modern.

Sounds like it's pretty similar to the Motor City Muscle version from the 00s except for the pad printed tires.

12 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Sounds like it's pretty similar to the Motor City Muscle version from the 00s except for the pad printed tires.

Yes, a near-straight reissue, with (likely) improved decals and the same pad-printed Firestones new Revell included in the '69 Boss 302 Mustang kit.

55 minutes ago, hpiguy said:

You are correct.

Looking forward to the video, as always!

2 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

That's not bad box art compared with some of their recent efforts.

I will never understand why some people like huge out-of-proportion wheels on old cars, it just doesn't work. 

I don't understand why the patina crowd thinks that dradged from the bottom of a lake is an attractive look.

Maybe it's not up to us to understand.

7 hours ago, alexis said:

Well, Chris is Building the Firebird right now, and at least two other folks have the Pickup, either in their hands or on order, so I'd guess that they are out right now. But probably only on the 'Bay or Mail Order.

Thanks I must have missed it..

7 hours ago, Casey said:

The '70 Firebird and '76 Chevy 4x4 are available now:

Thanks Casey!!