Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you remember...

dusty_shelf

My kids didn't like the solvent smell, so they used that instead. It uses orange oil as the solvent. It isn't anywhere near as strong as the solvent based glue. My daughter used it to assemble a model rocket. The rocket promptly disassembled itself on launch. Last time she ever used that stuff. 

MPC had a lemon-scented cement.  "Smells like lemon, sticks like crazy", they said.  "Smells like lemon, sticks like lemon" we said.  Even now, if you break apart cemented parts, you can still get a whiff of lemon.

Never used it. I think it came out after I discovered liquid cements and superglue. I last bought a tube of "model glue"--Testor orange tube--back in the '70 and I still have it, unopened, today. Might be a collector's item. 

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Never used it. I think it came out after I discovered liquid cements and superglue. I last bought a tube of "model glue"--Testor orange tube--back in the '70 and I still have it, unopened, today. Might be a collector's item. 

I still use tube cement...not by itself, but mixed with liquid cement.  Best of both...doesn't run but is great for body and chassis work, provided you give it time to dry.  

But I don't remember the last time I actually bought a tube.  I've usually got one laying around when needed, pulled out of a parts box or a started kit that I picked up.  Same goes for X-Acto knife handles...find those in parts boxes or on "everything for a price" piles at flea markets.  Soak the end in oil, get it apart to take out the busted-off blade, and it's good to go...

Yes, the glues were not good, but we have to put this into historical perspective.  In the 1960's and early 1970's kids were sniffing solvent based glues to get high.  As I recall, a number of them did suffer brain damage.

Mush like some of today's kids are inhaling the contents of the aerosol cans we use to remove dust from computer equipment.

My dad walked down to the hobby shop and bought my glue with me. I asked him why I could not buy it he told me the truth, but I said it stinks to bad. I had a cool and great dad always told me the truth, if I was old enough. I never sniffed glue or had the desire. That talk happened when I was 7, God rest his soul...

I always used the “real” tube glue (until I discovered superglue), but I have experienced the blue tube lemon scented semi-bonder for a build or two.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:54 AM, Snake45 said:

I found an unopened tube of the old Orange Label model glue in a box of my Dad’s old model building tools. It very well could be a collector’s item.

Didn't take long to figure out it didn't work worth a hoot!

Went back to the original tube glue and still using it!

Took an old yard sale kit apart a while back that used the lemon stuff. Not only can you still smell it for the most part  it didn't set up hard at all!

I remember those safe glues, none of them seemed to work as well as the old dangerous stuff. I remember Microscale Micro Weld cement, great stuff until they changed to safe cement...use MEK now, stuff works great... have to admit, I like the smell...

Don